Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2023, 03:44 PM   #1

Aqua Hot 450D making noise

Hello all, this morning, I noticed a bit of a burning plastic smell, about a half hour later, realized my Aqua Hot was not working, the light on the switch went out, I turn the switch off, then turn the switch back on, the light came on, and I could hear the burner trying to initiate fire up, but it was making a knocking noise, and it sounded like the motor was being bogged down, and eventually it stopped, now it won’t even turnover, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks, shane
SR68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2023, 04:29 PM   #2

What’s the voltage on the house batteries? You either have the reporter or the black control board above the unit. What lights are on that board when you try to start it? Or what faults does the reporter show? Have you tired to do a house battery reset and try to turn on the aqua hot. Have you pulled the cover to see if anything might be burnt? You mentioned that in the beginning.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 04:53 PM   #3

The 120v element relay burnt up on mine, smelled burning plastic a few times then no more hot water without the burner.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:04 PM   #4

House batteries are at 13.2 V, no faults on the board, I did cycle the main power switch on the coach, is this the reset you were talking about?, It tries to start and it’s slowly slows down and sounds like it’s bogging.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:28 PM   #5

SR68

I published a thread a few weeks ago on what may be your exact issue. I will find my previous thread and post a link a few minutes after I post this comment.

My AH simply was quiet when starting it and nothing happened. In short the exhaust blower motor gears that turn the fan are plastic gears and the plastic broke internally to what one would see as the blower section (its ther blacvk "can" on the end of the fuel injection section. Let me post the link to that thread and that may help you.

Here is the link to that thread:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/aqu...ew-600216.html

If the fan does not exhaust the burn chamber for about 15 seconds before the fuel ignition is attempted, then the whole AH will shut down and it appears dead operationally. I have a VegaTouch and the diesel icon would show green outer rim for about 20 seconds once you turn it on but then the green rim would extinguish.

My gearing had totally failed. Brian DeGerald told me he could hear the motor running, but I couldn't. I replaced the whole thing for ~ $1,200. You can buy the individual pieces: motor, plastic gearing, fan etc. My memory is that the motor is a little under $500. I never looked up the price of the gearing.... I just asked Brian to fix it.

One more thing.... please add the model year of your coach in the identification section.... Far better yet, create a signature that tells us all the important stuff at the bottom of each of your posts.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 05:29 PM   #6

Sounds like something is in the fan or the shaft bearings are shot.

If you have the manual, it is pretty easy to take apart and check.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:02 PM   #7

Not knowing the year, make, and model of your coach or how much you use it, here's my take. It's the blower clutch and bearings. Brace yourself for an expensive fix. When ours went out it made a clicking sound and the exhaust was a little sooty.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:22 PM   #8

2016 Entegra Anthem 44B, looks like I should take burner apart and check blades and bearings, can I get these replacement parts from Aqua Hot?
Old 01-14-2023, 06:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR68 View Post
2016 Entegra Anthem 44B, looks like I should take burner apart and check blades and bearings, can I get these replacement parts from Aqua Hot?
Try heatmyrv.com.
I have the same issue on my 2016 Anthem 44B. One of things I need to fix before putting it up for sale. I will be taking it apart tomorrow.
Jimjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:21 PM   #10

JMO ........ I consider three guys to be the guru's of AquaHot supplies and repairs:

DeGerald Services: www.Lloydsrvheating.com (son Brian is now primary serviceman)

Roger Berke: www.RVhydronicheatrepair.com

John Carillo: www.HeatMyRV.com

All three sell parts and provide service, have web sites, attend many FMCA and other rallies (e.g. Quartzsite), and know all about their problems, repair etc. I would trust any of them. I have used both Lloyd and son Brian DeGerald exclusively now for 8 - 9 years and always consider expert and fair

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:09 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Gary's three links above are great for parts ands service. It sounds like the fan drive bearings went out, causing the plastic clutch/coupling to fail. I've rebuilt a few of these over the years and those parts aren't expensive. The manual does show you how to repair this and how to set the clearance between the fan and volute plate. If you have reasonable mechanical abilities you can save some money with a DIY project.

While you have it apart I would advise checking the fuel pump to make sure it turns freely and also remove the banjo bolt that connects the fuel line to the pump. There is a small brass screen in the pump that can get plugged and this would be the time to clean it while it's apart.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:06 AM   #12

I had a motor failure a couple years ago, got a new motor the local TN lazydays store happened to have in stock for $600. It came with the 2 coupling halves.
This doesn't have to be expensive
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:38 PM   #13

Hello everyone, just wanted to update on my problem, it ended up being a motor, when I had it apart, I could feel there was a little side play in the main shaft, going through the bearings, so I ordered new bearings as well, replace the bearings, and installed new motor, problem solved, very easy fix, thank you everyone for your input and help, Shane
Old 01-27-2023, 05:49 PM   #14

I agree with Gary Jones the plastic gears have more likely have self destructed I have replaced mine twice
Aerostar251g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqua hot, noise