Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2021, 08:08 PM   #1

Aqua hot electric not working

The electric heating element of my aqua hot doesn't seem to be working but the diesel does. Looking for any suggestions. I turned the electric off on the Vega touch and then back on. Didn't see any changes. I have had the unit for about 2 weeks. I am pretty sure the electric has been working until now. We were up in northern Indiana, so cold, so we have been running the diesel a lot.

This is a 2022 Cornerstone and the following are pictures of the screens from the Aquahot Reporter unit. I didn't get a picture of the page, but no faults were showing. Discovered the issue by finding no hot water, turned burner on, got hot water. These were taken with only the electric running, not the diesel.

I haven't tried the test button on the aqua hot reporter and I have tried the circuit breaker labeled water heater up above the drivers seat.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2326.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	350599   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2327.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	350600  

Name:	IMG_2322.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	350601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2321.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	350602  

Name:	IMG_2323.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	350603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2324.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	350604  

Name:	IMG_2325.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	350605  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 06:48 AM   #2

I just published a detailed thread about the electric heating element up here on the forum not two weeks ago. This is pretty easy to figure out and I doubt that it has anything to do with your VegaTouch or screens. Look for it. The thread has got to be on your first page of threads on this forum. There are essentially only four parts that can fail and the problem is pretty easy to diagnose.

Since yours is a newer coach, it might be a little different, but I doubt it. You need a digital volt meter and a willingness to test some voltages to diagnose the problem.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:06 AM   #3

Anyone that really reads this forum regularly and reads through threads from start to finish must think that I have a 50% stake in Harbor Freight because I have advised that any owner of a motorcoach needs to be in possession of a good quality digital voltmeter as I have mentioned and discussed this probably 5 times in the past two weeks, but I can assure you I have no ownership of electronic firms that sell/manufacturer DVMs. However, I have worked with electronics since I first got licensed as a "ham" radio operator when I was in the 7th grade of middle school and assembled my first "Heathkit" transmitter.

However, there is no more universally needed and used cheap diagnostic tool that should be carried in every coach than a medium quality DVM as it answers so many questions that we have as owners and users of motorcoaches, that I can't imagine existing and repairing mine without having one in my toolbox.

I own a "professional DVM" and have had it for twenty or thirty years. It is made by a company named FLUKE. It is very good and 25 years ago they were making expensive, professional meters. However, now, that same quality meter and capability is available from a company like Harbor Freight for about 70 bucks. I'll say this one more time. A capability that is very handy and worth 70 bucks is the feature called auto-ranging and I'd never buy a DVM without that feature. With bottom-of-the-line, cheapo DVMs, you have to have a good guess of the DC or AC voltage that you assume you are going to measure as you have to put the cheapo meter in the right range for it to give you the correct value. Many people don't have any idea what range it needs to be in (but on a coach, it is usually 12vdc, 6vdc, or 120 vac or 240 vac, but regardless. An auto-ranging meter does the figuring out for you and it finds the proper range. A good DVM also measures resistance and continuity. Incredibly important information many times.

I can't imagine owning and driving my coach without a DVM in the basement.... would be like having no tire pressure monitor or set of socket wrenches... JMO End of sermon.

Gary
Old 12-05-2021, 07:07 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsayler View Post
The electric heating element of my aqua hot doesn't seem to be working but the diesel does.
Hi Van,

Since you describe some degree of uncertainty in whether, or not, the electric element is actually working, it would seem that determining that would be in order.

Although there are some indications on the VegaTouch display, it would be good to verify the status of the electric element from measurements taken directly from the AquaHot unit, rather than relying on the VegaTouch display.

Here’s a link to a file on my Google Drive that contains the AquaHot 450D Service Manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DRL...ew?usp=sharing

In Section 5, beginning on page 37, is a detailed, step by step, troubleshooting process. It’s the same process that Gary described in the thread that he made reference to.

There’s nothing very difficult in that process if you’re handy with a volt/ohm meter.

From Gary's experience, if it's just a failed heating element (infant mortality), that should be pretty easy to fix (under warranty).

Good luck.

Take care,
Stu
Old 12-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #5

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/fai...nt-562784.html
Old 12-05-2021, 08:02 AM   #6
Official iRV2 Sponsor

I will start out by saying I agree 100% about carrying a Digital Volt meter when having a motor home. With a DVM and a little creativity and understanding you could identify about 90% of Rv issues. As for the issue at hand I always start with the basics, first step for me would be to check the breaker in the left hand breaker panel over the drivers seat, shut it off and turn it back on. It takes 2 seconds and can save hours even though I’m not betting that this is the issue. After the breaker is reset I would go the the Vega touch to cycle the electric element button. After you cycle it off and back on I would head outside and if possible bring a piece of tape and a small adjustable wrench (or a 10mm and an 11mm because I can’t remember what size). Once out at the unit open up your water bay, test the water on the outdoor shower to see if it is having the same issue, if it is proceed to take off the cover on the aquahot (keep in mind that this has both 12vdc and 120vac power feeds so you want to be a bit careful inside on where your hand touches.). Once the panel is opened we will need a DVM to start really testing. We will want to trace the AC power circuit to find the failure. It is worth mentioning that I have seen a few loose wires on the AC side of the circuit, because of this you want to be a little cautious about what wires you pull on if you tug on a 120vac hot wire and it comes out in your hand you are then stuck with a live electrical wire in your hand and no way of insulating it to shut power off. It’s happened to me!! If you decide to follow these steps when you get to this point you can give me a call and I can walk you through the rest. I would prefer we did it together over the phone to make sure I know what your seeing as we test. My number is +1 (404) 314-9996. I will be around most all day.
Thanks,
Justin
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
Director of Training 770-628-5966
Justin Townley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #7

Justin

The link in the post immediately above will take him/anyone to the step by step diagnostic tree sent to me by AH and also available in the ownes manual that Stu provided another post or two above. Either will lead the OP to the solution if he has a meter to test voltages and relays.

But, I think that everyone appreciates that you guys are willing to get your hands dirty on weekends.

Gary
Old 12-05-2021, 08:45 AM   #8

Thanks for all of the input. First up I will flip that circuit breaker and reset the electric heat. I did notice this morning when I turned on the electric element (both diesel and electric were off overnight so the fluid was cold) that I didn’t get any significant power draw as shown on the Vega touch and I think the electric unit would draw at least 10 Amps.

I do have a digital volt meter and I am also heading to the Lawrenceville NIRVC shop tomorrow to get a few things fixed. So I will update on how this goes and thanks again for the input.

Van
Old 12-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #9
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Excellent!! It sounds like I will see you tomorrow then.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
Director of Training 770-628-5966
Justin Townley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:41 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Van, Just out of curiosity, what power source is the Vega Touch showing? If it is showing "Inverter" instead of Shore Power, 50 amp is not making it to the coach.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:05 PM   #11

Shore
Resetting the Circuit Breaker didn't work so I am going to let NIRVC go at it tomorrow
Thanks
Van
Old 12-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #12

The relay was burned up (partially melted). They replaced it and binded the 4 poles into 2 poles to spread the load out better. Thanks to Justin and NIRVC for getting this done.

Tags
aqua hot, electric