Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
I believe only one Aspire was built with a 450D.

On a related subject, what are the rules governing the engine heat loop? Is is always on when running the engine? Does it matter if the AH switches are on or off?
To use the engine heat loop while driving down the road turn the gas heat ON for whichever zones you want to heat and enjoy the free heat. No Aquahot switches are required to be ON.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #30

Great, that is what I thought, but could not find any documentation. Unless I manually close the valves, the AH fluid is kept at temp by engine coolant. I have yet to actually drive with the heat on - it's in the 70s today, not exactly cold.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Great, that is what I thought, but could not find any documentation. Unless I manually close the valves, the AH fluid is kept at temp by engine coolant. I have yet to actually drive with the heat on - it's in the 70s today, not exactly cold.
And another added benefit of the engine loop, free hot water while travelling.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #32

Well Chuck, you gonna love this one. I got around to flushing the AH today. First thing I noticed was lots of sludge on bottom of Home Depot bucket and needless to say coke fluid. So I got pump 1 and 2 and booster all running and it drains right at 5 gallons. That's it. So I pump in 5 gallons of distilled water and drain 7! Pump in 7 gallons of distilled water and now I get at least 8 back. Still lots of sludge. So finally had to run to Walmart and get more distilled water. Once water came back clear I was getting about 8 in and 8 out.

So it seems my pumps were not circulating very much anymore. Probably cavitating due go sludge. Now my hot water is so damn hot it burns my hand. But of course no one will admit there's a problem.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
I sure can relate to that. How they can say it is OK is beyond me, but I am just a consumer and not suppose to know anything.

As an FYI, I took 11 gallons of fluid to push out the distilled water. 34 gallons of distilled water to get a clean water flush.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I sure can relate to that. How they can say it is OK is beyond me, but I am just a consumer and not suppose to know anything.

As an FYI, I took 11 gallons of fluid to push out the distilled water. 34 gallons of distilled water to get a clean water flush.
Same here about 30 gallons of distilled water.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #35

Has anyone spelled out the details of what's needed to perform a flush and a process?

For example can you use the existing pumps to perform a flush or is it better to use an external pump. Also when refilling the system, do you fill from the drain - so and external pump and adapter is desired?

Fittings/sizes to adapt to loop circuits and to pump outlet if needed?

Also, fyi, I've had ONLY pink fluid. Does the attached image look familiar to those with sludge?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquahot20181028_18_01_54.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	224310  
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #36

OK, Camco proponents.... what is your answer to Ekim's question and picture?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:56 AM   #37

Here's a look after settling longer:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquahot20181029_19_18_28.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	224353  
Old 10-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim View Post
Has anyone spelled out the details of what's needed to perform a flush and a process?
For example can you use the existing pumps to perform a flush or is it better to use an external pump. Also when refilling the system, do you fill from the drain - so and external pump and adapter is desired?
Fittings/sizes to adapt to loop circuits and to pump outlet if needed?

Also, fyi, I've had ONLY pink fluid. Does the attached image look familiar to those with sludge?
Here is the post made refference to in post #1http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/aqua...sh-329845.html
Hawgguy also did and excellent post a couple of years ago with the fittings he used, external pump etc.

From my experience as mentioned in this post, it will take over 30 gallons (34 on mine) of distilled water to get rid of the sludge if it is bad. Not knowing what type of coach you are working with, it may not take that much if you do not have floor heat.

Yes, it does look like sludge that many of us experienced. Whatever it is, the fluid needs to be changed. AH can say what they want about bad looking fluid being OK, I haven't found a fluid engineer yet that agrees with them. I have paid for one and spoken with two others.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #39

I'm trying to come out with a thorough flush process including tools and fittings. I'd like to fill in some blanks (fittings, hose sizes, etc) and improve the process based on the experience of those who have already done it. I think this would be good for DYI AND for people who want to have it done by a shop. It's detailed enough for a shop to get a firm quote and the actual flush process is well defined - so a shop doesn't quote a simple drain/fill for example.

Here's what I have so far:

Contaminant Flush Process

Tools:
12V Pump (RV water pump)
Two lengths of hose - one for intake side and one for pressure side (5`) (SIZE)
Two fitting and clamps to adapt hose to pump (SIZES/TYPE)
Fitting and clamp to adapt hose to heating loops (SIZE/TYPE)
Fitting to adapt hose to drain line (for refill) (SIZE/TYPE)

0) Ensure there will be no call for heat or hot water
1) disconnect 12v pump leads
2) jumper the pumps to run all three in order the agitate the fluid in the system (two if no stur pump)
3) Run for 30 minutes to allow fluid to become suspended
3a) This is done cold so as to not drain the system when hot...
4) Drain the boiler
5) Using a 12v fresh water pump fill the boiler from the drain with tap water.
6) Run the pumps for 1/2 hour to mix
7) Drain boiler
8) Repeat 5-7 until clean water runs out.
9) Disconnect loop 1 pump output
10) Connect water pump to loop 1 input line
11) Using a 12v fresh water pump, pump tap water through the loop until clean.
11a) Follow this with a few gallons of distilled water to rise out tap water
11b) Using the 12v pump suck all the water you can out of the loop (reverse pump flow)
12) Pump properly mixed coolant through loop - stop when coolant starts coming out the drain.
13) Reconnect loop1 to pump
14) Repeat steps 9-13 for loop 2.
15) Using a 12v fresh water fill the boiler with distilled water, run sture pump for 15 minutes, and then drain.
16) Pump properly mixed boiler fluid through drain to fill boiler.
17) Run both heat loop pumps for 30 minutes as in step 3 to get air out of the system
18) Ensure system is filled to cold level
19) Hook pump 12v leads back up, turn system on.
20 ) Run and watch for leaks and boiler fluid level.
21) Continue to monitor fluid for level and contaminants
22) After system has had a chance to mix well check specific gravity to ensure within range (slight dilution with distilled water is possible)

Run system, check for leaks, watch fluid levels as air is purged from the system.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #40

GREAT idea.... and when you actually do it, please then come back and modify or update everything you have in your list. I live 25-30 miles from the nearest Lowes/Home Depot, and my repairs take a Looooooonnnnnnggggg time usually as I have to make at least 3 or 4 trips back to the big box stores (~60 miles round trip) to get something that I didn't realize that I needed.

If you get a bullet proof list of needed hardware/tools/clamps etc. I will keep it safely stored on my computers and maybe even in my safe-deposit box for as long as I live.... You will be the MAN !!!!

Gary
Old 10-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #41

Interesting. Aquahot will NOT provide a "best practice" for flushing a 400 series system, They also will not provide a letter that protects customers from being denied warranty coverage due to contaminants in the boiler fluid. So, basically their position is, "it's not a problem, don't worry about it". AND "if it turns out to be a problem, we reserve the right to deny warranty coverage because of it".

That's first class customer service there.

Do they know what it is? "No idea"

Oh and how do they know it's not a problem?

"We ran it in a few systems and nothing bad happened"

Fantastic engineering too

OK, done venting, thanks for listening.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #42

That set of responses is pretty much exactly what Brobox has been saying for several years.

Some things never change....

Gary

Tags
fluid