Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2020, 03:25 AM   #1

Aqua hot question

Who does the annual service on your Aqua Hot? Curious how you handle that. Thanks
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2020, 05:26 AM   #2

A lot of owners perform this task themselves including me...

Fuel filter available at Napa auto parts

New fuel nozzle is on amazon

And instructions videos can be found on you tube..

Really pretty easy.. and about 30 dollars ..

Or rv dealers charge 200 to 300

I personally do mine every other year do to my annual useage

Is minimal right now and do not feel every year is necessary for me

But if you use your coach a lot I would do every year
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:12 AM   #3

I have had my annual service done by the same fellow and his son for the past 5 or 6 years and that is Lloyd DeGerald. Lloyd has now largely turned his business over to his son, but at big events like Quartzsite, both Lloyd, his son, and usually a third fellow will all service coaches. We usually have about 60 coaches at Quartzsite and roughly half of the owners have them service their coaches every year.

Basic maintenance is to be done annually, and I follow that policy. I could easily do the job myself as I have watched Lloyd do it 3 or 4 times. An earlier post gives the items needed to do the job. What I cant probably do nearly as well is to anticipate problems that have not yet developed..... A professional service person has that knowledge and when Lloyd says my system is good to go for another year, I know that it really is in good shape. Most professional services will charge ~ $175 - $200 for the job. Lots of other good people are out there. Any of the major RV shows put on by FMCA or GoodSams or any of the big rallies are going to have guys with excellent reputations there to do the work.

What I feel least competent at doing is the examination of the combustion chamber for cracks or problems developing. The rest is pretty straightforward.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:00 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've done mine once and am planning to do the annual service again. Reference to the service instructions in the AquaHot Service Manual and YouTube videos gave me adequate information to accomplish the service without difficulty.

One observation gleaned from following various threads on iRV2 is that many of the problems people have with their AquaHot systems seem to be related to failure to do regular service.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I do my own. Excellent instruction manual on AH website. Also a magazine article written by Cruzer on the step by step procedure. The WIX fuel filter is $8. at my local auto parts and fuel nozzle is $15. online or at RV Shows
Darwin Hathaway based out of Indiana 574-612-4826 but travels the summer and winter residents parks, services on site for $200. He is about as good as they get.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I do my own. Excellent instruction manual on AH website. Also a magazine article written by Cruzer on the step by step procedure. The WIX fuel filter is $8. at my local auto parts and fuel nozzle is $15. online or at RV Shows
Darwin Hathaway based out of Indiana 574-612-4826 but travels the summer and winter residents parks, services on site for $200. He is about as good as they get.

What part of Indiana is he based?
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:22 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
My mistake, the first name is Darin. Google showed him in Elkhart. https://www.facebook.com/aquahotspec...s_landing_page
Old 09-13-2020, 09:52 AM   #8

Oh, and you can google Lloyd DeGerald and find his address and normal plans for RV rally attendance.

Lloyd had some medical problems a couple years back and has moved most of the company to his son Brian and his wife Jenn. Their phone number is 501-258-8426 and his web page is: Lloydsrvheating.com

He is based in Arkansas and hits most of the big RV rallies around the nation all year and many of the big rallies in the southern quadrant of the country (the South) on a regular basis. Smart guy and he has passed virtually all of it on to his son Brian.

Gary
Old 09-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
In the past, he has met people in a parking lot traveling close to Elkhart. One person was coming down from MI.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #10

An IMPORTANT note of caution for anyone doing their own Aqua-Hot service:

When you tighten the two nuts that hold the blower motor in place, be VERY careful to not over-tighten them. If you do, you'll break the aluminum casting and will spend a LOT more than the cost of the annual maintenance to get back to where you were before you broke it. Here is the relevant verbiage from Mark's article on Aqua-Hot service:

"Swing the two eyebolts off to the side and press the burner motor up against the mounting lugs. Drop the eyebolt nuts down over the burner motor mounting lugs and carefully tighten. Be sure to hold the burner up tight against the boiler with one hand and use a socket and extension, but no ratchet at this time, to hand tighten the retaining nuts evenly. Once you have them snugged up by hand, add the ratchet and tighten them down. Be careful to not over-torque the eyebolt nuts or else you may break the aluminum lugs off of the burner casting, resulting in a very expensive replacement cost."

And here is a link to the full article:

http://rvtechmag.com/tech/38_aquahotsvc.php

A few years ago, I attended a presentation by Lloyd DeGerald. He said his approach to tightening the two nuts is to use a small quarter-inch-drive ratchet, only a few inches long, and even then be very cautious about how much torque you apply.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #11

Yes, I can confirm that LLoyd uses two very small socket wrenches with long extensions on them and actually tightens both nuts simultaneously (one wrench in each hand). I don’t remember if they are torque wrenches or just that he “knows” the proper pressure

Gary
Old 09-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #12

Gary, I don't think they make torque wrenches that small, but I'm quite confident Lloyd can be trusted to tighten those nuts just about perfectly!
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
tighten to 10 inch pounds...or .8 foot pounds.
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqua hot