Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2022, 04:04 PM   #1

Aqua-Hot Service Interval

Being the proud owner of two motorhomes at the present time, I don't have to worry about being bored or having nothing to do. Today, I decided to perform the routine Aqua-Hot service on the Cornerstone so it will be fresh & ready to go for the next guy and/or lady.

Routine service on a diesel Aqua-Hot consists of replacing the fuel nozzle, cleaning the combustion chamber, replacing the fuel filter, and testing the system to ensure all is well once the service is complete.

The general recommendation is to perform this service annually. I'm not saying that's a bad idea, but I've rarely done it that frequently since we bought our first motorhome with an Aqua-Hot system back in early 2010.

In the current case, the fuel filter I removed was labeled to indicate it was installed on Christmas Eve 2018 (three & a half years ago for those of you doing math) when the coach had 17,370 miles on it. The current odometer reading is just a tick under 40,000 miles. Time flies when you're having fun.

I'm not suggesting anyone else should wait that long, but for what it's worth our Aqua-Hot system has been working just fine all that time. On the other hand, I recall a couple of instances on our previous Tiffin Allegro Bus where the Aqua-Hot starting smoking profusely less than a year after being serviced. If I remember correctly, there was a period of time where a batch of not-so-great fuel nozzles hit the market and I believe I was a victim of a couple of them.

Bottom line, I'm thinking an hour meter on the Aqua-Hot (similar to the one on Onan generators) might be a better indicator of when routine service is needed.
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45B
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2022, 04:17 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Larry, like you living in a warm part of the country, the most use my Aqua Hot gets are the month exercises of the burner. I still have the spare nozzle and filter I purchased for my 14. An hour meter would be an excellent idea for warm country owners.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:33 PM   #3

Chuck, the trick might be finding a wire that only goes hot when the diesel burner is active.

If the unit is heating water with the electric element or with recirculated engine coolant, you wouldn't need/want the hour meter to count that because those situations aren't putting any "miles" on the fuel nozzle, fuel filter or combustion chamber.

The fuel nozzle and combustion chamber will generally "tell" you when they need attention, in that the exhaust stream will smell overly rich and/or be smoky.

The silent killer could be the fuel filter, in that if you let it go too long the paper element could start deteriorating. How long that might take I have no idea. (But I do have one that just survived three & a half years...)
Old 05-17-2022, 05:03 PM   #4

Those wires are there, behind the cover, attached to the interlock switch wires.

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:15 PM   #5

As full timers summering in North Central Minnesota where you may need heat into mid-June and again in early-September; and then wintering in the Floriduh panhandle plus the normal year around hot water use, the Aqua-Hot needs to be serviced a minimum of twice a year. For weekenders and vacationers once a year would probably be OK. And another observance even though our transfer fluid looks murky we have never had an issue. I believe non-use causes the clumping issues where the fluid sits and is not circulated which allows sediment of the solids.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:55 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Larry, if I'm not mistaken Voltdoc did an hour meter mod,I will look for it tomorrow
Old 05-17-2022, 08:46 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
AquaHot Hour Meter Mod

Here's Rob's AquaHot hour meter mod: https://myquantumdiscovery.com/aquah...r-modification

As is typical for Rob's work, it's very well documented, on par with what we've come to expect from Larry.

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-17-2022, 09:49 PM   #8

Chuck & Stu, that is great news. The only problem is my new coach has an Oasis system rather than an Aqua-Hot.

I guess I need to hope Rob trades his Entegra for a Newmar sometime in the not-too-distant future...
Old 05-18-2022, 06:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Chuck & Stu, that is great news. The only problem is my new coach has an Oasis system rather than an Aqua-Hot.

I guess I need to hope Rob trades his Entegra for a Newmar sometime in the not-too-distant future...
Larry , I'm very surprised you didn't realize another option , keep the " Old Coach " and sell the new one ! ��
Then the hour meter Mod works .
Old 05-18-2022, 06:51 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
As full timers summering in North Central Minnesota where you may need heat into mid-June and again in early-September; and then wintering in the Floriduh panhandle plus the normal year around hot water use, the Aqua-Hot needs to be serviced a minimum of twice a year. For weekenders and vacationers once a year would probably be OK. And another observance even though our transfer fluid looks murky we have never had an issue. I believe non-use causes the clumping issues where the fluid sits and is not circulated which allows sediment of the solids.
That was a major problem that the solution was never found. Mine was so bad it plugged up in one of the elbows in the circulation lines. It is a shame to get penalized like that for living in a climate where the AH is rarely needed. Even month exercising did not prevent the problem.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Larry , I'm very surprised you didn't realize another option , keep the " Old Coach " and sell the new one ! ��
Then the hour meter Mod works .
Brian, that wouldn't be a totally dumb thing to do. With the multiple price increases Newmar has imposed since we ordered our Super Star back in early July 2021, the MSRP on a new Super Star virtually identical to ours is over $90,000 higher!

On the other hand, we're enjoying the Super C experience so far.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:20 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post

Larry, you'll probably be waiting for a while! But, the hour meter connections are basically connected to the burner wiring, so if the Oasis uses a Webasto burner that should make it fairly straightforward. I would assume even another brand burner would be similar. Let me know what model Oasis you have and I'll try and take a look at the schematic.

Also, has Nemar gone more RV-C on the newer rigs? Aquahot now has an RV-C based "reporter module" which may include burner run data (even if Vegatouch doesn't display it), I wonder if Oasis has something similar. If so, and if they are adhering to the RV-C spec, it's not too difficult to get a look at that data on the RV-C CAN.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Larry, you'll probably be waiting for a while! But, the hour meter connections are basically connected to the burner wiring, so if the Oasis uses a Webasto burner that should make it fairly straightforward. I would assume even another brand burner would be similar. Let me know what model Oasis you have and I'll try and take a look at the schematic.

Also, has Nemar gone more RV-C on the newer rigs? Aquahot now has an RV-C based "reporter module" which may include burner run data (even if Vegatouch doesn't display it), I wonder if Oasis has something similar. If so, and if they are adhering to the RV-C spec, it's not too difficult to get a look at that data on the RV-C CAN.
Rob, my Oasis is the Chinook model - see first photo below and more info here:

https://itrheat.com/products/rv-trai.../oasis-chinook

I have some good news with regard to your list of potential new projects. Which is that you can cross this one off because the Oasis Chinook comes with an hour meter as standard equipment, which I just discovered a few minutes ago! See second photo below.

I don't yet know if the hour meter runs only when the burner is active or anytime the unit is operating. I'm going to guess the meter runs anytime the unit is operating (burner or electric), but a quick test will confirm or deny.

The Oasis Chinook is a bit different than the Aqua-Hot unit in our Cornerstone, in that it has two 1500 Watt electric heating elements versus one 1650 Watt electric element in the Aqua-Hot 450-D. As such, it's possible to get by on electric-only a bit more often than was the case with the Aqua-Hot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oasis Chinook.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	365908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oasis Chinook Hour Meter.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	365909  

Old 05-18-2022, 02:43 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I like the hour meter idea for an aqua-hot.
I feel like my 17 aqua hot may have got a little over serviced and under utilized.

We spend about 200 days a year in the coach but we mostly use electric. We use fireplace heat and a little electric heater set on 750 watts in the bathroom. We only use the furnace heat rarely. Even our floor heat we use on electric.

My wife will sometimes turn the diesel burner on before a shower. That is really it. We may have a real cold week or two a year camping but for just cool weather we use electric.

If the aqua hot is like most things on an RV lack of use is the worse thing for it. I am thinking about this new coach and I doubt if we have more than 4 or 5 hours on the diesel burner and the coach is 2 or 3 months old.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqua-hot, service