Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2022, 05:20 AM   #1

Aqua Hot will not fire up after annual service

I just did my annual service on my 2016 Anthem's Aqua Hot. This is the 3rd annual service I have done & I was careful to follow all the instructions on the Aqua Hot video on You Tube.

After everything is complete, I turn on the Diesel burner switch and set Zone 1 to heat with gas. The light on the Diesel burner switch comes on and the Aqua Hot starts to hum (fuel pump, I guess) but it doesn't fire. After about 45 seconds the light on the toggle switch goes out and after another 3 or 4 minutes the Aqua Hot shuts down.

I then toggle the switch to off, wait 5 minutes and try again, same results...

I've tried this 4 or 5 times, with the same results.

I'm thinking this is a fuel problem, I did fill the fuel filter with diesel before installing the new fuel filter.

I've let this set overnight and I'm going to remove the fuel filter and fill with new diesel and try again.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
kerrvillepil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2022, 05:42 AM   #2

What model do you have? I would check the hi-limit switches just above the burner, there is a little reset button between the prongs, you can go to Aqua-Hots website, in the library find your models service manual and there's a good troubleshooting section if your handy with a multi meter.
Parish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:16 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
In my experience the issue is the flame sensor on the burner. I would pull the burner and clean the sensor. It looks like a small solar panel.

When mine failed to start last year that was the problem. Mine went bad and I ran down to a dealer that carried aquahot parts and picked one up
Old 11-28-2022, 12:38 PM   #4

Well, this behavior (nothing "fires") can also be the result of much greater problems, so I hope that Phil's cure is the one that works. My AquaHot is doing virtually the same thing.... turn it on at VegaTouch, no exhaust blower to clear fumes from the system, followed by no ignition of diesel fuel, and then the "on" light on the Vegatouch eventually "going off" (dark) after maybe 30 seconds. Fini!!

My preliminary diagnosis after talking with AquaHot service people is that the problem is: 1.) A failed "brain" (which, I kid you not, is supposedly a Ukranian-made module that control many of the issues involved with ignition (I sure can't read/understand the language printed on the "brain"), or 2.) a failed/frozen exhaust motor. The "brain" is just a hair under $1,000.00 and the exhaust motor is just under $600.00.

The AquaHot worked perfectly, until one evening, it didn't!

I will publish a final follow-up when I get it figured out or repaired.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:06 PM   #5

Sorry Gary-
Yes, please keep us informed. These Aqua-Hot's GRRRR
Pat
Motang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:05 AM   #6

I have a 450D AquaHot

I forgot to mention I have 450D AquaHot in my 2016 Anthem 44B.

I'm going to try a few of the suggestions made today and I will update this thread with the results.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:59 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi -If the flame sensor has failed or is dirty it would fire and then shortly shut down and go into a purge cycle. I doubt that's the issue. Was it working properly before you worked on it?

There are several possibilities but the two easiest are that you need to allow the pump to purge the line (keep trying to start it and shut it down several more times, this based on your saying that you hear the unit motor run when you turn it on at the thermostat). The other possibility is that you have a bum nozzle. Try the old nozzle and see if it fires.

Beyond that it gets more difficult unless you watch the "boot up" cycle and see where it fails. Watch the lights on the AH panel.
Good luck.
Tom
Old 11-30-2022, 04:41 PM   #8

My Aquahot would not fire up diesel burner when the propylene glycol was low
The electric side was still working, but would not fire the burner. I added fluid and it then worked….. I may have given it a hard electrical shutdown to reboot as well…..
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 06:05 PM   #9

Hang on, when you hear hoofbeats think horses not zebras.

Assuming it was working before you did the maintenance, and you changed the fuel filter, let’s start with what you touched.

The light going off indicates the brain has faulted. It will do that if the burner fails to light. Turning off and on resets the brain.

It is most likely you have gotten air into the fuel system. Cycle the unit about five times before you give up on it. Not trying to be a smart aleck, but my unit has a fuel shutoff valve to make changing the filter less messy. If your’s has one, make sure you opened it.

Now, if the multiple attempts don’t produce flame, then pull the Webasto out like you are going to change the nozzle. Is the nozzle wet? If it is you are getting fuel and you can proceed to look at igniter nozzles, flame sensors and the like. If it is not wet, then you are not getting fuel, and no need to look at any thing but fuel related.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:57 PM   #10

AquaHot is working again

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

I took the burner assembly out, the fuel nozzle was wet so I knew I was getting fuel. I cleaned the igniter tips, flame sensor and the stainless plate (that holds the flame sensor) as completely as I could.

After putting everything back together it fired up.

I think the flame sensor was the culprit, at least in my case.

Thanks again
Old 12-01-2022, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
Hang on, when you hear hoofbeats think horses not zebras.

Assuming it was working before you did the maintenance, and you changed the fuel filter, let’s start with what you touched.

The light going off indicates the brain has faulted. It will do that if the burner fails to light. Turning off and on resets the brain.

It is most likely you have gotten air into the fuel system. Cycle the unit about five times before you give up on it. Not trying to be a smart aleck, but my unit has a fuel shutoff valve to make changing the filter less messy. If your’s has one, make sure you opened it.

Now, if the multiple attempts don’t produce flame, then pull the Webasto out like you are going to change the nozzle. Is the nozzle wet? If it is you are getting fuel and you can proceed to look at igniter nozzles, flame sensors and the like. If it is not wet, then you are not getting fuel, and no need to look at any thing but fuel related.
Someone who knows how to troubleshoot!
Navy trained?
Regardless, exact correct.

If you did something to something, and when you were done it did something different than before, the cause is something you did. Period. End of discussion.

Check the filter, make sure it's full of fuel. Check the lines (I've seen tiffins using rubber lines, easy to kink. Ours are steel)

And then pull the burner off and go through it again.

Sent from my moto z3 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
Someone who knows how to troubleshoot!
Navy trained?
Regardless, exact correct.

If you did something to something, and when you were done it did something different than before, the cause is something you did. Period. End of discussion.

Check the filter, make sure it's full of fuel. Check the lines (I've seen tiffins using rubber lines, easy to kink. Ours are steel)

And then pull the burner off and go through it again.

Sent from my moto z3 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

true always check the last thing you monkeyed with...
but of course it right cause you did it, either get a second set of eyes on it or re-read the instructions.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:58 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Try these things

Three things come to mind. First, remove the fuse and let your AH reset, then try it again. I need to do this periodically. Second, check the electrode gap with the tool mounted to the side of your burner and make sure the bolts are tight after gapping. Last, check the annual service procedure in your AH service manual to make sure you did everything required. I have always done my annual maintenance.

I change my fuel filter and nozzle, check the gap (but I don't change it unless needed), make sure my fuel lines aren't leaking (I have replaced them once because the nuts that mount it are soft and easily damaged), wire brush the photo disk if needed, make sure the flame sensor glass is intact (I have replaced one with cracked glass), and wire brush and remove all of the burned soot in the chamber and on the swirler. I don't replace the gasket even though the manual calls for it. The entire process usually takes about 45 minutes to complete.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:28 AM   #14

When you change the filter be very careful not to get anything in it and the fuel you put in it is filtered if you get any particles inside of it it can jam up in the screen in the pump on the inlet side simply remove the line it has a copper washer on it which may have to be replaced there is a screen inside a little brake cleaner you can clean it out I have had this happen befolet me know how you do
Aerostar251g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqua hot, fire, service