Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2019, 06:40 AM   #1

Aquahot Burner Fail

Woke up this morning to a cold coach and no aquahot.
Diesel switch on, light in switch off.
No red lights on control board.

Cycled switch, light came on for a while then went off. Blower never started. switch light went off.

Power cycled unit (note it gets power from up front under drivers window compartment. There is a big round yellow handled breaker in there which will kill all DC power to the aquahot) anyway, no change.

Fluid level is fine.

Took cover off, tested interlock switch, it's kinda flaky, jumpered it out, no change, burner blower w/n run.

Getting the manual out now.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2019, 06:50 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Just thinking out loud, I know there was a batch of bad AquaHot control boards in the Tiffins somewhere around your model year.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
When the Diesel light goes out this is indicating a fault in the Webasto Burner control. This is the silver or black box on the side of the burner\blower motor. The fault could be from any number of issues related to the burner sequence.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:23 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you don’t have hot water from the electric side - consider the thermostat. Easy replacement - will need a slotted socket (like spark plug wrench) - believe it’s 7/8th...
Lv2Roam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:29 AM   #5

When I turn on the diesel switch, the blower does not come on.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #6

Troubleshooting done. The motor is the webasto burner has power coming in but doesn't turn.

Aquahot thinks this thing is solid gold and wants $500 for it!

According to the label, it is a Dunkermotoren type GR53X30, a common industrial DC motor available in a dozen different configurations, commonly priced from $75 to $100.

Now to find someone who has just the right variation.

I agree profit is not a dirty word. 100-200% retail markup is fair and reasonable.

500% is robberyClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190327_124942844.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	239631
Old 03-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #7

Jim

Nice job of finding the problem. Please be sure and post what you find as the exact replacement model number for the motor. That model number will go into the trusty "For future reference" computer file.... and hope that I never need it. But, you will be doing a lot of folks a big favor!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:23 PM   #8

I struck out on finding a second source. DW having to use someone else's shower today kinda lent some urgency to the situation.

I got lucky, Lazydays Knoxville, formerly Tennessee RV, had the OEM motor in stock for $540, an hour each way and an hour to put everything back together and we're cooking with gas again.

I did speak with Aquahot this morning, a shoutout to Jim in tech support, he helped me track it down.

Helpful notes:

I had the cover off and the interlock jumpered. If you remove the jumper and put it back on, that will restart the ignition sequence without having to go inside and flip the switch.

There is a clip on the black electronics box on the side of the burner. Release the clip and the box will slide out and come off. Then you can get at the electricral connectors with your meter probes.

C2 and C5 are the wires to the blower motor. 12v there = the board is not the problem, the motor is.

If you have a stubby phillips, you can take the black cover off the burner without taking the entire burner off the unit, and without opening any fuel lines.

The old motor was flat wore out. Both brushes were down to near nothing, and one of the stand holding a brush spring was melted down to the point that the brush was no longer touching the commutator. This is why it stopped working. Motor should have lasted a lot longer than the 3 years it did.

The new motor is SOOOOO much quieter than the old one. I'll no longer prefer heat pumps to aquahot at night due to the noise outside mt bedroom window.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
I struck out on finding a second source. DW having to use someone else's shower today kinda lent some urgency to the situation.

I got lucky, Lazydays Knoxville, formerly Tennessee RV, had the OEM motor in stock for $540, an hour each way and an hour to put everything back together and we're cooking with gas again.

I did speak with Aquahot this morning, a shoutout to Jim in tech support, he helped me track it down.

Helpful notes:

I had the cover off and the interlock jumpered. If you remove the jumper and put it back on, that will restart the ignition sequence without having to go inside and flip the switch.

There is a clip on the black electronics box on the side of the burner. Release the clip and the box will slide out and come off. Then you can get at the electricral connectors with your meter probes.

C2 and C5 are the wires to the blower motor. 12v there = the board is not the problem, the motor is.

If you have a stubby phillips, you can take the black cover off the burner without taking the entire burner off the unit, and without opening any fuel lines.

The old motor was flat wore out. Both brushes were down to near nothing, and one of the stand holding a brush spring was melted down to the point that the brush was no longer touching the commutator. This is why it stopped working. Motor should have lasted a lot longer than the 3 years it did.

The new motor is SOOOOO much quieter than the old one. I'll no longer prefer heat pumps to aquahot at night due to the noise outside mt bedroom window.
Would this one have worked?

Dunkermotoren GR53X30, 88437 01620, SG62 Servo Motor 24 V 3600 RPM 23 A w/Gearhead T98899
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:44 AM   #10

The motor itself is the same. I didn't try it because of time. It has a 90 degree gear reduction box on it. No idea of shaft length once that gearbox is removed.
It seemed most I found were of that type, geared way down for industrial use. They are very similar to motors in film processors I used to work with.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
The motor itself is the same. I didn't try it because of time. It has a 90 degree gear reduction box on it. No idea of shaft length once that gearbox is removed.
It seemed most I found were of that type, geared way down for industrial use. They are very similar to motors in film processors I used to work with.
Probably the same if the gear box was removed. Lot of difference between $75 and $540.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:52 AM   #12

Rollin101

The motor you have listed is showing 24 volts. I believe the correct one would be a 12 volts motor.