Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2021, 07:36 AM   #1

AquaHot diesel and electric same time??

My other coaches I could run both at same time. Electric and when needed disel would come on. I don't think my 2020 Anthem will do that, will it? Electric sure doesn't provide much??

safe travels all
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
You can run both at the same time, and you are correct electric produces less BTU's. I have had the same experience, diesel will take over for electric very quickly if it is turned on.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:01 AM   #3

Rudy had done a post of what the cut in and out temp is for the electric and for the diesel. It would have been in IRV2 or foreforums.

If I do not find it by the time Rudy sees this post he will update us.

Chuck, I know you are good at searching.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:06 AM   #4

Yes, the electric.
The only thing I noticed was when both are turned on, the diesel still kicks in when we don’t use it.
I think it’s set at a higher temp. I’m not sure.
I guess I can look it up, but I never thought to.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Yes, the electric.
The only thing I noticed was when both are turned on, the diesel still kicks in when we donít use it.
I think itís set at a higher temp. Iím not sure.
I guess I can look it up, but I never thought to.
They are both controlled by the same control so they both come on at same time. You cannot control them individually.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:34 AM   #6

The difference between the two systems is a difference of volume. The AC element is capable of heating the water that is contained in the water reservoir inside the AH unit, and that is about it. That is maybe 4 or 5 gallons of water. It will heat those 4 or 5 gallons to the same temp, however, if you then try to use the hot water for something that will take more than the 4 or 5 gallons of hot water that is available when you begin, the electric element cannot keep up with a heavy demand or constant volume use such as showers, or heating the coach or floor. We find that the electric element is capable of handling hand washing and maybe the running of the dishwasher during the daytime, but beyond that, it does not do the job.

For heating the coach or for taking a shower, you need the diesel burner engaged also. Once you get beyond a few gallons provided by the electric element, then the diesel burner is needed to kick on to maintain that use or volume.

During the summer, we generally run the electric element for needs during the daytime and dish washing. During the winter we either have both engaged or only the diesel. Of course, at most RV parks, you have paid for the electricity so we use the electric element as much as we can and avoid the diesel powered unit since we are paying for that separately. (I have now encountered an RV park that measures your electricity daily for their non monthly guests and adds that cost of electricity on top of even the daily customers and adds the electric cost every day,.... I got a text daily (for lets say a three day stay) every day. It was Los Suenos RV in Santa Fe...... never seen that anywhere except there).

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gunter View Post
They are both controlled by the same control so they both come on at same time. You cannot control them individually.
I should clarify that. You can manually turn them off or on individually, but if you have them both on they are both controlled by same thermostat and cycle on and off at same time.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
The difference between the two systems is a difference of volume. The AC element is capable of heating the water that is contained in the water reservoir inside the AH unit, and that is about it. That is maybe 4 or 5 gallons of water. It will heat those 4 or 5 gallons to the same temp, however, if you then try to use the hot water for something that will take more than the 4 or 5 gallons of hot water that is available when you begin, the electric element cannot keep up with a heavy demand or constant volume use such as showers, or heating the coach or floor. We find that the electric element is capable of handling hand washing and maybe the running of the dishwasher during the daytime, but beyond that, it does not do the job.

Gary
I would agree with Gary, and this may be off topic, but in warmer weather, generally over 80 degrees, the electric will keep up taking a shower. It all depends on the temp of the outside water coming in. JME
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #9

I run both often. Like Gary said though, I can run electric only in summer and get enough hot water to shower. If DW takes one right after me the diesel side would be needed.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Older aqua hots ( 100 series) used two thermostats actually 4 counting the high limits one pair for the electric and one for the burner with the electric being a few degrees hotter. The diesel would not come on with minor demand like washing hands etc. Handy to not burn fuel unless demand is high. now both electric and diesel use the same thermostats so they run together unless you turn one or the other off .
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post

For heating the coach or for taking a shower, you need the diesel burner engaged also. Once you get beyond a few gallons provided by the electric element, then the diesel burner is needed to kick on to maintain that use or volume.

During the summer, we generally run the electric element for needs during the daytime and dish washing. During the winter we either have both engaged or only the diesel. Of course, at most RV parks, you have paid for the electricity so we use the electric element as much as we can and avoid the diesel powered unit since we are paying for that separately. (I have now encountered an RV park that measures your electricity daily for their non monthly guests and adds that cost of electricity on top of even the daily customers and adds the electric cost every day,.... I got a text daily (for lets say a three day stay) every day. It was Los Suenos RV in Santa Fe...... never seen that anywhere except there).

Gary
Gary you mentioned the floor heat. Does the floor heat use the hot water or is it just electric heating elements. I've had 2 different answers from Entegra and haven't investigated myself any further but would like to know.
Heinrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:03 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrocket View Post
Gary you mentioned the floor heat. Does the floor heat use the hot water or is it just electric heating elements. I've had 2 different answers from Entegra and haven't investigated myself any further but would like to know.

Floor heat is hot water. You might have two answers because the water can be heated by AquaHot electric element or diesel or both at same time. Setting for floor heat differs with model years. Currently set with Vegatouch, older years set by selecting Gas heat on Zone 2, which is a bit confusing when you donít have propane.
Butte64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:35 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The AquaHot 450D is equipped with an electric heating element rated at 1650 Watts (AC) which converts to 5,630 BTU. The diesel burner is rated at 56,000 BTU. So, the diesel burner puts almost 10X the heat energy into the boiler than the electric element.

As has been suggested, the electric element is the Aqua-Hotís secondary heat source and can be used when plugged into shore power. The electric element provides heat when moderate temperatures exist (50įF or higher) and/or when there is a low demand for hot water.

I believe that there are separate thermostats in the boiler tank, one for the electric heating element control circuit and one for the diesel burner control circuit. Each is set to maintain the boiler fluid temperature between 158F and 190F. That is, with either electric or diesel heat selected, if the boiler fluid temperature is below 190 F, whichever heat source is selected (or both) will be activated. Electric only is advertised to take 1 - 2 hours to heat the fluid to 190 F; the diesel burner should take 10 - 12 minutes. With both on, I'd expect that the 190 F should easily be achieved in 10 minutes.

The floor heat uses heated boiler fluid in a loop of tubes under the tile floor that is circulated by one of the AquaHot circulation pumps. Although the boiler fluid heats water through a copper coil heat exchanger that is immersed inside the boiler tank, the fluid that circulates under the floor for floor heat isn't hot water.

Here's the AquaHot 450D Owner's Manual for a more thorough description: Aqua-Hot 450D Owner's Manual.pdf

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-22-2021, 05:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
The AquaHot 450D is equipped with an electric heating element rated at 1650 Watts (AC) which converts to 5,630 BTU. The diesel burner is rated at 56,000 BTU. So, the diesel burner puts almost 10X the heat energy into the boiler than the electric element.

As has been suggested, the electric element is the Aqua-Hotís secondary heat source and can be used when plugged into shore power. The electric element provides heat when moderate temperatures exist (50įF or higher) and/or when there is a low demand for hot water.

I believe that there are separate thermostats in the boiler tank, one for the electric heating element control circuit and one for the diesel burner control circuit. Each is set to maintain the boiler fluid temperature between 158F and 190F. That is, with either electric or diesel heat selected, if the boiler fluid temperature is below 190 F, whichever heat source is selected (or both) will be activated. Electric only is advertised to take 1 - 2 hours to heat the fluid to 190 F; the diesel burner should take 10 - 12 minutes. With both on, I'd expect that the 190 F should easily be achieved in 10 minutes.

The floor heat uses heated boiler fluid in a loop of tubes under the tile floor that is circulated by one of the AquaHot circulation pumps. Although the boiler fluid heats water through a copper coil heat exchanger that is immersed inside the boiler tank, the fluid that circulates under the floor for floor heat isn't hot water.

Here's the AquaHot 450D Owner's Manual for a more thorough description: Attachment 349599

Take care,
Stu
Stu, I agree with everything except thereís only one control thermostat that controls both electric and diesel.

Tags
aqua hot, diesel, electric