Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2021, 08:32 AM   #1

AquaHot Hose failure - be WARNED !!

About a week ago, I noticed that the overflow tank on my AquaHot (AH) was more empty than it should be but the system was cold and I assumed that I just needed to add more Century boiler fluid. Well, I'm now in Colorado and nights are in low 50s and so heat more of an issue along with showers. I fired up the diesel burner and low and behold, looked at the AH and there was brownish stain all over the top of the container. Looked like dried liquid. On closer inspection, it became immediately clear what the problem was. What looked like a black rubber hose had completely separated from the pressure relief valve on top, center of the AH box. So cut off the bad hose from the fitting and pushed the hose back onto the pressure relief valve and filled the reservoir half full of Century Transfer fluid (1/2 gallon), and fired up the diesel burner again only to watch the half gallon of the Century fluid run out of two additional holes in the plastic hose further back (it's actually crappy clear plastic hose not designed for high temp liquids !!!!!!!! installed at factory). DAMN !!!

I remembered Brobox and PhilNail posting a thread (thread actually started by Phil) and searched for it, and sure enough Phil reported a sage warning that all of us should replace the plastic hose from the expansion reservoir to the AH lid with real hot water radiator hose (5/8" ID) designed for hot water use and Phil clearly stated that this was a problem waiting to happen and I put that on a list of needed repairs, but like many of us, never got around to replacing it. Now, I have no idea about current coaches, but on my 2019, the factory only used plain old clear general use plastic pipe which is NOT rated for high temperature use, and mine turned black, and got very brittle and apparently cracked two holes on opposite sides of the hose as well as shearing off completely first), and all the fluid ran out over some period of time. At this time it gushed out and may have been bad for a fairly long period of time before.

So, I am going to repeat Phil's advise.... THIS IS DEFINITELY A PROBLEM THAT IS WAITING TO HAPPEN AT LEAST FOR COACHES MADE IN THE '14-'20 VINTAGES AS THE FACTORY USED CRUMMY, cheap, INAPPROPRUATE HOSE NOT DESIGNED TO DEAL WITH HOT FLUID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. About $10 bucks at an Autozone and 30 minutes of your time will resolve this problem if you buy radiator hose designed for this application or carry several gallons of spare Century Boiler Fluid in the basement as you are going to need it. Real radiator hose is black and it says it is 5/8" ID radiator hose... the crap on my unit is/was clear plastic which had turned black and so looked like black rubber hose, but wasn't.

The worst part of this is that it appears that the low fluid might have led to a burned out electric heating element as my electric element will not now make hot water. I'm going to do a separate thread on that issue as it has me scratching my head currently.

Here is Phil's earlier thread. EDIT:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/aqu...ed-439984.html

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 08:40 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, is that the same clear hose at the top everybody has been cautioning about changing for years? That hose gets brittle from the heat and cracks sometimes in the first year. I know people put it off......but I hope they will heed your warning this time.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:42 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Totally agree. I had the same failure on my 14 Anthem.

For as nice as the Entegra is. I’d trade some of those “blingy” lights and exotic paint schemes for a few higher quality constant tension hose clamps, better hoses, a few more hose brackets. IMHO
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:43 AM   #4

Yep, the very same hose......................

The question is WHY THE HELL IS IT STILL BEING INSTALLED ON HALF MILLION DOLLAR COACHES.... you got any idea??

Gary
Old 08-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Yep, the very same hose......................

The question is WHY THE HELL IS IT STILL BEING INSTALLED ON HALF MILLION DOLLAR COACHES.... you got any idea??

Gary
Follow the money, out of sight, out of mind. A good hose cost a dollar. Kind of like DEF Sensors, 5 years and still counting.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:57 AM   #6

And just a suggestion for any dealers that might read this forum, this should be a standard repair for any year Entegra that had that inappropriate, "not designed for this use" crappy pipe in it.... just check every coach in for any service and see if that pipe needs to be replaced for a few bucks....and for heavens sake, Middlebury, stop installing it on new coaches coming down the line!!

Gary
Old 08-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #7

But Gary, that part is supplied by AquaHot, not Entegra so why should they be responsible. Of course you can delete AH and insert Spartan orShaw or ……….
DavidH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #8

I've got 10 bucks that says AquaHot did not supply that hose to Entegra and it was installed by Entegra....

My 10 bucks is sitting there awaiting proof (or your preference in the standard "Coin of the Realm" (liquor of your choice).)

Gary
Old 08-04-2021, 01:11 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
JEGS P/N 231-20442 5/8 silicone heater hose about 18 inches long. Fits perfectly. I replaced mine about 4 years ago on my 14 Anthem.
Jerry0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #10

Home depot sells 5,/8ID heater hose 10' section for about $13.00. I know you only need about 2'.
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #11

Gary,

There are 4 hi temp limit switches in the aquahot. 2 for burner, located near the top center of the tank. 2 for the elecric, located under the "danger hi voltage" cover.

They are round and black, 2 wire connections, and a small white circle in the center. If tripped the small white circle will "pop out"
Push them back in with a pen.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #12

That hose is now a 5/8 heater hose starting in 2020.
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:18 PM   #13

Jerry

That is great news to hear that someone finally decided to put the right product in our coaches. Thanks for the information. At least maybe 2019 owners were the last group to have to deal with that weakness/inappropriate hose.

I followed Phils indication and used 30” of 5/8 ID hose

Gary
Old 08-04-2021, 03:21 PM   #14

Jim

Thank you also for the hint on where I should begin looking for the fix of the electric element. Very helpful. I called AH customer service yesterday and while we had a bad connection, they were not very helpful. I’ll have a chance to rip into the AH box later today or tomorrow to see if that is a fix. Thank you anyway!

Gary

Tags
hose