RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2020, 05:43 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
AquaHot Water on Electric

For the previous year, we have used only electric to heat our hot water. No problems.

Now it seems that we run out of hot water sooner than the last year. What do you suppose could cause the electric side of the hot water to become less efficient ?

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2020, 06:35 AM   #2

Is your water colder than normal coming in from the source? If your are in the north right now, its colder than normal. Heck, it snowed here in Pennsylvania two weeks ago..!

Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:45 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
Is your water colder than normal coming in from the source? If your are in the north right now, its colder than normal. Heck, it snowed here in Pennsylvania two weeks ago..!

I didn't think of that. The Florida water is warm and I am now up north in Ohio.
Thanks, I feel better about it now.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:53 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
For the previous year, we have used only electric to heat our hot water. No problems.

Now it seems that we run out of hot water sooner than the last year. What do you suppose could cause the electric side of the hot water to become less efficient ?

Can't believe you don't need the diesel to shower! Just this morning I forgot to turn on the diesel heat and the hot water only lasted about 2 minutes. Other than that the electric heat works fine for dishes and laundry and hand washing.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
Can't believe you don't need the diesel to shower! Just this morning I forgot to turn on the diesel heat and the hot water only lasted about 2 minutes. Other than that the electric heat works fine for dishes and laundry and hand washing.

In Florida, water out of the ground is warm to the touch. Not so up in Ohio.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #6

You didn't say what you have for an AquaHot, and there are differences, so what I say will be sort of guess based on the coach.

I have a smaller AquaHot with one electric element, my wife takes a shower and when she's finished in the bathroom, I take a shower, all on the electric setting.

You should have two electric elements, possibly one is now defective causing the change in the volume of hot water. Another thing may be the circulation pump that circulates the hot boiler tank fluid around to heat the domestic water coils. If it is not working, the hot water will turn into cool water much quicker.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
He makes Laurie take the SECOND shower I bet!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
Hi Gary,

Interesting fact: the washing machine installed in '18 Anthems (not sure about other years/models)is a Whirlpool WFW3090GW which has only one cold water hose. No coach supplied hot water to the washer. The washer has its own, internal water heating element.

You might be able to win a beer bet with that fact.

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-23-2020, 05:31 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
He makes Laurie take the SECOND shower I bet!

Ouch. I really didn't think she would tell anyone.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:32 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
You didn't say what you have for an AquaHot, and there are differences, so what I say will be sort of guess based on the coach.

I have a smaller AquaHot with one electric element, my wife takes a shower and when she's finished in the bathroom, I take a shower, all on the electric setting.

You should have two electric elements, possibly one is now defective causing the change in the volume of hot water. Another thing may be the circulation pump that circulates the hot boiler tank fluid around to heat the domestic water coils. If it is not working, the hot water will turn into cool water much quicker.

It's a 400D

Old 05-23-2020, 05:40 AM   #11

I have a aqua hot 450 D and it says that the electric will only work above 50f or so.
I’m not too sure but it’s in the manual what the minimal ambient temperature is to run the electric. It’s not going to work in the 40s that I know for sure.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:00 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
The electric element works in any temperature. It doesn’t do enough in colder temperatures to be used by itself, but it will assist your diesel burner and decrease your fuel usage in any temperature conditions.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #13

From the Aqua-Hot manual...
“The electric element provides heat when moderate temperatures exist (50°F or higher) and/or when there is a low demand for hot water”
Old 05-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuchanan77 View Post
From the Aqua-Hot manual...
“The electric element provides heat when moderate temperatures exist (50°F or higher) and/or when there is a low demand for hot water”
I agree with MRUSA14 about the electric element being on anytime. To prove this you can look at the current being drawn on the control panel when you turn on the electric element.

A 400D in a 44' Entegra is a bit of a surprise, I would have expected something larger. The 400D has one electric element and has no engine heat loop.

What JBuchanan77 posted is most likely also correct. It just depends on how you interpret the statement. There are two different parts to the statement:

First, (The element provides heat when there is a low demand for hot water.) Example: This "heat" is for hot water, and my taking a shower may be considered a low demand for hot water and why I can take a shower on electric with no problem.

Second, (The element provides heat when moderate temperatures exist (50*F or higher.) I think "heat" here is what's needed to keep the interior of the coach warm. The 1500W element puts out about 5000btu of heat and won't do much to heat the interior of a 44' coach when it's below 50*F. The statement doesn't specifically say the element doesn't turn on below 50*F.

I think the statement from Aqua-Hot is very poorly written.

Tags
electric, water