Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Can't trump when you have the cash...the OP wants a DEQ w/1 bath.

Not likely for 2014 in a Cornerstone. Alternatives -

- What I mentioned earlier.
- Choose a floor plan unacceptable (I base this on they're a twosome looking for this type of entertainment area in their floor plan)
- Take an Anthem with less horsepower
- Modify a Cornerstone to look like DEQ
- Move to a different coach. IMO the only alternative of equal quality and close to the same price point as Anthem w/IFS (Mountain Aire with same HP with Comfort Steering I think) or Essex (a bunch more than the Cornerstone, but has the similar floor plan and HP, combined with Newmars Comfort Steering)

I do like the similar floor plans offered by Newmar...just don't like the price tag for comparable amenities. Essex is a pretty steep price to pay for the floor plan, IFS, and HP.
Dave , been there, Essex only has the K2 with 500HP. You even have to go another 140K above the Essex to the Kingair to get the K3/600hp. I remember looking at MH's and I asked my salesman what is the best one he has on the lot. He quitely turned to me and said before I answer that question I need to understand "how much do you hate your money". In further discussions with him it became clear no matter what you purchase we all arrive at the same destination and enjoy the same lifestyle.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Agree with you...

The DEQ floor plan is so unique in the Entegra line, I'm surprised it isn't offered in the Cornerstone. As the OP pointed out, those new plans, are bath and a half.

I guess what I was really saying is, at this time, you can't have all the OP is looking for in Entegra, unless you modify an existing floor plan.

Not arguing with any of the logic through the the whole thread.

And you are absolutely on the mark...Cornerstone is the best buy for the HP, amenities, etc
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #31

For whatever it is worth, I understand going from an aspire to a cornerstone. IFS and all-electric are significant improvements from solid front axle and LP.

I went from Tiffin Phaeton to Anthem ( have also owned several other class a dp and gas as well as class c). Phaeton is solid axle and LP. Anthem is IFS and all-electric. Big difference in ride quality in addition to quite a few other improvements/ upgrades from phaeton.

IMHO--Anthem hits sweet spot in the market. Quality and value. Cornerstone is better but the cost/value ratio did not work for me. If money were no object, I probably would have gotten the cornerstone just because I could! But , for me, the Anthem hits the spot.

Plus, the deq floorplan works. I , too, do not want to trade living space for a second toilet.

Again, I can really understand going from Aspire to Cornerstone as some have apparently done. Anthem to cornerstone would be harder to figure out! I have not driven a cornerstone, so maybe there is enough difference in the engine and chassis, but , again, anthem seems to work well.

That said, more power is always good!
tvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #32

Entegra already makes the same model in the Cornerstone as in the Anthem. The 45J Cornerstone is the same thing as the 44DLQ Anthem. Neither are the bath & 1/2.
Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #33

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. Having so many different opinions really helps to put things in perspective. I guess the one comment that really "nailed it" for us was "The decision is partially a matter of where you spend the majority of your time". That is so true. We are snowbirds and do all of our travelling during the winter months primarily in the southern states (where the weather is warmer) and we tend to stay at several parks for extended periods of time. So, in a given year we may not climb many mountains in our coach and if during a few of those trips we have to slow down and arrive a little later then it is not the end of the world. However, during those 6 months we spend everyday living in our coach, so the floor plan, amenities, storage space, functionality and overall look are really of primary importance to us. The minute we walked into the Anthem DEQ model we fell in love. So we've decided not to second guess our decision any longer and just anxiously await it's arrival!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Hope you don't have to wait to long...that's the tough part.

Then having to choose between better and best or vice versa, as Beachbum said, it'll keep you second guessing.

We're will you spend that first Winter?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #35

Now you guys have me worried. I just put a deposit on a 2014 Aspire DLQ. We have a 05 Santiam with the C7 and we go to New Mexico and S.W. Colorado every summer and some winters. I was hoping the new Aspire would hold 65 or 70 up those long hills in New Mexico. My current rig will not. I have to hold the foot feed down and I'm usually down to 50 by the time I get to the top of the hill. I'm talking about the type of long hills like on I40 West of Santa Rosa. Is the 450 still not going to be enough to set the cc and relax?

JJ
ShadowBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #36

I had a 450 Cummins in our last coach. We moved from SoCal and went to Denver. The 450 really struggles in the mountain grades. Our Cornerstone is a beast and flew up and down the mountains back and forth from Steamboat. It was amazing. But I agree--if you aren't going all over the mountains like we are for family weekend trips, I'm not sure the extra $$ for the horses would make sense. After having the smaller engine I couldn't go back now. All of the Entegras are so nice. You can't go wrong with any of them really.
Jgehrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
Now you guys have me worried. I just put a deposit on a 2014 Aspire DLQ. We have a 05 Santiam with the C7 and we go to New Mexico and S.W. Colorado every summer and some winters. I was hoping the new Aspire would hold 65 or 70 up those long hills in New Mexico. My current rig will not. I have to hold the foot feed down and I'm usually down to 50 by the time I get to the top of the hill. I'm talking about the type of long hills like on I40 West of Santa Rosa. Is the 450 still not going to be enough to set the cc and relax?

JJ
Shadow,

I'm sure your dealer will be happy to switch you from an Aspire to a Cornerstone, but be prepared to come forward with another $200k ( a little less). Having driven the ISL in NM, the only place I slowed appreciably (65 to 50) was the long hills between Albuquerque and Santa Fe (8% grade for 2-3 miles). I let the transmission do the downshifting, but having been to the Spartan Class, I'd do my own downshifting now and get into 4th or 5th gear rather than let the tranny work down the 6th gear (65, 64,63,62, etc).

The issue is $s if you want more (here come the torque guys), but to get to the bigger engines with similar or better quality coach, the Newmar Essex comes in at 500 HP about $350K more and then the Cornerstone. f you can afford the Cornerstone, step up...it's a very nice coach and you can't beat the quality at the price.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
I have a 45' Anthem. Just recently we returned from a trip in the AZ mountains. Not many realize that AZ has some pretty hefty climbs along I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff. Biggest climb for us was about 8 miles of 6 to 8% grades south from Camp Verde. We entered the freeway on an uphill grade and accelerated to 60. As grade increased, we slowed to 50 to 55 for the majority of the climb. Manually downshifted to keep the rpms at or above 1700 rpms. Engine temps never exceeded 203 degrees. The very top was where the 8% was and there we slowed to 45. Pulling Honda CRV. I'm curious what speed you would be comfortable pulling these types of grades at and not feel under powered? FYI... I don't feel under powered. We are too busy enjoying the view to worry about how fast we are going.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Shadow,

I'm sure your dealer will be happy to switch you from an Aspire to a Cornerstone, but be prepared to come forward with another $200k ( a little less). Having driven the ISL in NM, the only place I slowed appreciably (65 to 50) was the long hills between Albuquerque and Santa Fe (8% grade for 2-3 miles). I let the transmission do the downshifting, but having been to the Spartan Class, I'd do my own downshifting now and get into 4th or 5th gear rather than let the tranny work down the 6th gear (65, 64,63,62, etc).

The issue is $s if you want more (here come the torque guys), but to get to the bigger engines with similar or better quality coach, the Newmar Essex comes in at 500 HP about $350K more and then the Cornerstone. f you can afford the Cornerstone, step up...it's a very nice coach and you can't beat the quality at the price.
It's not a matter of what I can afford. At 55 years old and going to run my business for another 7-10 years I am not willing to spend that money at this point. I have gone from a 1976 21' Midas mini to 1980 29' Pace Arrow to 1984 31' HR to 1999 37 Pace Arrow to 2005 40' Santiam. All bought used with super low miles. This step up (to the Aspire) for us is huge! I really wish it was a 40' coach. I will have to have my "motorhome barn" as we call it made taller and longer. I am just hoping the 450 Aspire will pull better than the pathetic C7 did. I know this coach is heaver but I'm hoping for better performance. I can deal with the mountains. I drive the Million Dollar Highway every year two times a year and I don't mind the slower climbs. It's the two mile long hills in the desert of New Mexico and West Texas that bother me. Like US-550 from Bernalillo to Durango. In my current coach I'm wore out when I drive from Durango to Ruidoso from helping the coach over the hills. Just can't relax.

JJ
Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Understand...as you've seen from the posts, most feel comfortable with the pull of their 450 ISL in the mountains. I am confident you'll really like your fit and trim of the Aspire...my only point was that you have to spend significant $s to go to a bigger engine in a new coach. But if you do, the Cornerstone is hard to beat for amenities at the price point and a 600 hp, Hadley ride system.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
It's not a matter of what I can afford. At 55 years old and going to run my business for another 7-10 years I am not willing to spend that money at this point. I have gone from a 1976 21' Midas mini to 1980 29' Pace Arrow to 1984 31' HR to 1999 37 Pace Arrow to 2005 40' Santiam. All bought used with super low miles. This step up (to the Aspire) for us is huge! I really wish it was a 40' coach. I will have to have my "motorhome barn" as we call it made taller and longer. I am just hoping the 450 Aspire will pull better than the pathetic C7 did. I know this coach is heaver but I'm hoping for better performance. I can deal with the mountains. I drive the Million Dollar Highway every year two times a year and I don't mind the slower climbs. It's the two mile long hills in the desert of New Mexico and West Texas that bother me. Like US-550 from Bernalillo to Durango. In my current coach I'm wore out when I drive from Durango to Ruidoso from helping the coach over the hills. Just can't relax.

JJ
You have done your due diligence already! You have a great coach on order and you will enjoy it. The money you have saved will help you retire all that much quicker! Honestly you will very seldom need 600hp. Between the mountain curves and the steep descents, getting up the hills are only part of it. If relaxing is your goal, sit back and enjoy the drive, cause all the Entegras are quiet, smooth and a joy(most of the time) to drive. Enjoy the journey!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
You have done your due diligence already! You have a great coach on order and you will enjoy it. The money you have saved will help you retire all that much quicker! Honestly you will very seldom need 600hp. Between the mountain curves and the steep descents, getting up the hills are only part of it. If relaxing is your goal, sit back and enjoy the drive, cause all the Entegras are quiet, smooth and a joy(most of the time) to drive. Enjoy the journey!
Thanks for the feedback. It is normal for me to second guess myself when spending this kind of money. I own a precision sheet metal shop and some of our machines cost more than half a million dollars. I do the same thin when we are purchasing a new laser etc.

I see you are in Pensacola. My daughter and son in law are there with the Navy. He is training hoping to be a F18 jockey. She works at a design store. They line in Milton but if you are a beach person this is about as good as it gets. I'm a Ouray, Telluride guy myself but have a few years to work yet.

JJ