Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2022, 11:24 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Aspire Front Cap Leak

I have a 2021 Aspire that has a water leak somewhere in the front cap over the dashboard. It only shows up during a pretty heavy downpour, I’ve not noticed it while driving in light-ish rain, just when parked. It drips from the center of the upholstered panel behind the front cabinets where it meets the windshield.
I suspect either the accent lights that are trimmed with what looks to be a stainless steel panel about 3 feet by 6 inches mounted recessed into the front top-center of the fiberglass cap or the tiny camera for the surround-view system that is mounted slightly below the accent lights.
Is this something that others have experienced? How to fix? Is it a DIY project or should I hire a professional? If DIY, Should I attack it from the outside or remove the inside ceiling panel? Removing the panel would involve also removing the driver and passenger electric shades and dealing with the surround-sound speakers (I would really rather not try that route).
Any guidance or advice is welcome.
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2022, 11:39 AM   #2
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Best course of action is to take a service center that can pressurize the coach and identify the leak and repair. All of our NIRVC locations can do that. Once identified, it can be resealed and submitted to Entegra under their 2 year warranty. If you try it yourself, best bet is to use an rtv silicone and seal around all clearance lights, camera and the center accent piece. Then you have to wait for a heavy down pour to see if you fixed it.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:44 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Archer - I am not a leak expert but I agree since you are under warranty to get it fixed professionally.

I had a front cap leak on my 17. It would only leak when in heavy rain.
When I got on a ladder and closely checked I had cracked silicone sealing one of my clearance lights. The light was actually out from getting wet. I changed the light and resealed. We never saw the leak again.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the responses. First clarification is that I am no longer in warranty. Original warranty date was 5/14/2020. Bobby, funny you should mention NIRVC. I left the coach at the Surprise (Phoenix) NIRVC location from 4/24/22 thru 4/29/22 with a list of final warranty items to address. That appointment for a handful of items was set months in advance. This water leak was on that list along with (non-warranty) Aqua-Hot service. For whatever reason, they just flat forgot to address either of those problems. I was up against a hard start date for my annual trip from Arizona to Alabama with a dozen firm reservations so hanging around another week was not an option. So do you think NIRVC should be responsible for getting this fixed?
Old 06-29-2022, 12:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Here’s a pic showing what I mean by “Accent Light” and “Clearance Light”
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2022, 01:13 PM   #6

Keith:

In the older vintages Entegras (15 or 16 and older) it was VERY COMMON for owners to have clearance light leaks. I had that problem. I had one clearance light that leaked and also the awning over the door leaked like a sieve. Both were common problems.

The clearance light problems were well documented by owners who did their own repairs. Essentially, my memory is that the factory installed those lights by drilling a whole in the fiberglass "socket" that would surround the lights and then the installer would wire up the lights and fill the socket with silicone or a bonding agent and shove the light back into the socket, and those lights commonly leaked. There was a big hole in the fiberglass that the wires passed through and that hole was the entrance point for water because the silicone or bonding was not done well.

Both problems (clearance lights and door awning leaks) were well documented and discussed on this forum circa 2015-2016. Search for them and I think you will get lots of ideas of old problems that might still be the problem.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:08 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Keith:
I had the issue on my 19 and it was drivers side. Under warranty NIVRC did the pressure test (which is forcing a high volume of air inside and sparing the out side with soapy water) and it was the window. I'm willing to bet its either the clearance light or the center piece that's leaking. Attack from the outside by removing and sealing them properly if you want to do it your self. Not real difficult other than ladder and time. My guess is that Bobby and NIVRC will work with you on this given the circumstance.

JP
jwprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hey John! Long time no see. How are you doing these days?
Old 06-30-2022, 09:51 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Call Entegra and explain what happened, they may warranty this item. In the past they have honored the warranty after the warranty expiration date if the problem was documented during the warranty period.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:43 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Gary & John. Can anyone describe how the thing I labeled as “Accent Light” in the pic is put together? My ladder wasn’t tall enough for me to get a good look at it but inside the cutout of the stainless piece are three clearance lights that appear to be in good shape. The stainless steel piece does not have any screws or other fasteners that I can see to allow it to be removed so I suppose that it’s just glued directly to the fiberglass front cap. Is there any way for rain to get into the inside of the coach thru or around the stainless piece or are the only penetrations/potential water paths strictly due to the light assemblies?
My question is basically am I safe to just ignore the stainless steel trim piece and just focus on the actual surface-mount light assemblies?
Old 06-30-2022, 07:00 PM   #11

Sadly I cannot answer your question.... my 15 didn't have that. I Xan tell you that on my Anthem, the water that came in through my clearance lights flowed a long way before it dropped to the dash. Most water came through the windshield upper speaker screws and the cone itself. On the door shade leak, again the water came through in many places not close to the origin.

The stainless either has stud type screws welded on the back and screwed through the front cap or it is simply glued onto the front cap. A quick call to Middlebury will answer that question. If it not glued on solid fiberglass, I would be worried about screw holes. You would need to figure out how to remove enough panels above the dash to see the screw holes and nuts.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:37 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Gary, my leak is dead center of the panel you are talking about directly below the light assembly and the camera. The more I look at it the more I think that the stainless piece is just a decorative bezel that covers the molded-in depression where the 3 center clearance lights are mounted. I believe the bezel is just stuck on with RTV or some kind of adhesive and I do not think it is covering any holes thru the fiberglass. So I think the prime suspects are the three center clearance light assemblies. Now I need to dig out my Harbot Freight borescope and remove one of the speakers for access to see if I can narrow it down using a garden hose.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:13 AM   #13
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
Thanks for the responses. First clarification is that I am no longer in warranty. Original warranty date was 5/14/2020. Bobby, funny you should mention NIRVC. I left the coach at the Surprise (Phoenix) NIRVC location from 4/24/22 thru 4/29/22 with a list of final warranty items to address. That appointment for a handful of items was set months in advance. This water leak was on that list along with (non-warranty) Aqua-Hot service. For whatever reason, they just flat forgot to address either of those problems. I was up against a hard start date for my annual trip from Arizona to Alabama with a dozen firm reservations so hanging around another week was not an option. So do you think NIRVC should be responsible for getting this fixed?

Good morning Keith,

My name is Tino Beltran, and I am the new general manager here at our NIRVC Surprise, Arizona location.

I sincerely apologize for my late response to your post. I am looking into the details of your coach repairs, and will be calling you shortly. And, please feel free in giving me a call anytime. You can reach me directly at (520) 391-4200

Best Regards,
Tino
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

Phoenix Surprise AZ. GM 520-391-4200
Tino Beltran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:28 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino Beltran View Post
Good morning Keith,

My name is Tino Beltran, and I am the new general manager here at our NIRVC Surprise, Arizona location.

I sincerely apologize for my late response to your post. I am looking into the details of your coach repairs, and will be calling you shortly. And, please feel free in giving me a call anytime. You can reach me directly at (520) 391-4200

Best Regards,
Tino
Hi Tino, congrats on your new position. Feel free to call me. I’m in Alabama until October so I’m a couple of hours later than you. I’ll text you with my info in a little while.

Tags
front cap, leak