Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #1

Aspire Induction cooktop and the inverter

I will not pick up my 2018 Aspire 44W until later next week so I can't test it right now. Does the induction cooktop run on the inverter and allow me some simple cooking/heating if I am dry camping/boondocking?
I have search this forum and Google and can't find a reference.
czeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Mine is not currently on the inverter, I may change that. I would suggest you call Entegra customer service, they answer the phone and can actually give you answers about your specific coach.
kwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by czeeb View Post
I will not pick up my 2018 Aspire 44W until later next week so I can't test it right now. Does the induction cooktop run on the inverter and allow me some simple cooking/heating if I am dry camping/boondocking?
I have search this forum and Google and can't find a reference.
No, your electric cooktop (induction or otherwise) will not run on the inverter.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I took the gas cooktop out and replaced it with an induction unit, it's not wired to the inverter either. I may change that though so I can at least cook a little something without the gen or shire power.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #5

The Induction cooktop requires either shore power or the generator to provide power.

On an Aspire, IF you could invert the cooktop, I suspect you would draw the battery bank down quickly to where you would need the generator anyway, so why not run it.

-Matt

P.S. I really hope you chose the extra (2) L16 batteries if you boondock.
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
The Induction cooktop requires either shore power or the generator to provide power.

On an Aspire, IF you could invert the cooktop, I suspect you would draw the battery bank down quickly to where you would need the generator anyway, so why not run it.

-Matt

P.S. I really hope you chose the extra (2) L16 batteries if you boondock.
I will look into those 2 extra batteries when I pick up the unit. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #7

Thank you guys!!
Old 05-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #8

I picked up a small, single burner induction cooktop that I use when I don’t want to run the generator. I’m sure the reason Entegra doesn’t have them wired thru the inverter is the amperage both of them would pull would be more than one inverter can put out.

My single draws 1850 Watts, so that’s assuming the double draws around 3600. It would have to draw at least 3,000 Watts which would be right at the limit of the inverters installed in 2018’s and newer coaches.
Pwdr Extreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #9

I have a 18 Aspire with Extra batts and solar.
You have to run the gen to use the cooktop but not the microwave.

Keep in mind you are supposed to run the gen ever 30 days anyway so if boondocking I would just run it when needed.
kevinantholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinantholt View Post
I have a 18 Aspire with Extra batts and solar.
You have to run the gen to use the cooktop but not the microwave.

Keep in mind you are supposed to run the gen ever 30 days anyway so if boondocking I would just run it when needed.
I teach people how to ride/race motorcycles on a race track at least one weekend per month, so I am in my coach, in a large parking lot without hookups a lot. Then, my cat wakes me up at 3 am every day, so early morning coffee is a necessity. I have people sleeping in tents and in their cars right next to me so running the generator at that time of the morning is not practical. I am just looking for a solution to an all electric coach. I am going to really miss the gas stove and fireplace of my current Bounder. I am going to look into the extra batteries. The coach will come with 2 100 watt solar panels and I will move my 480 watts off my Bounder and have them place it on the Aspire.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:54 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
When I am at a location that has a Quit Time" coffee is made the nigh before. Our coffee maker has a SS thermal carafe. Sometimes reheated in the microwave, but better than waiting until 8 O'clock

We purchased this type http://www.capresso.com/coffee-makers/mt600-plus.html as the carafe sits on the floor between the chairs as we travel so we have hot coffee without having to get up while on the road. It also does not have a hot plate so it does not continue to draw battery power to keep the coffee hot.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:08 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by czeeb View Post
I teach people how to ride/race motorcycles on a race track at least one weekend per month, so I am in my coach, in a large parking lot without hookups a lot. Then, my cat wakes me up at 3 am every day, so early morning coffee is a necessity. I have people sleeping in tents and in their cars right next to me so running the generator at that time of the morning is not practical. I am just looking for a solution to an all electric coach. I am going to really miss the gas stove and fireplace of my current Bounder. I am going to look into the extra batteries. The coach will come with 2 100 watt solar panels and I will move my 480 watts off my Bounder and have them place it on the Aspire.
Using your stove on inverter would put too much strain on your batteries and seriously shorten their life. Get a small propane stove. The backpacker models are really small and light and will get you your morning coffee without toasting your batteries.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Propane anyone? Induction cook-tops and inverters...wow. People worry about residential reefers. One hour of an induction cook-top or microwave is 18 hours or reefer time.

They do make nice little butane single burner, portable cook-tops. When we got our 335DS with reefer I dumped the cooktop coffee maker and got one of these. Liked it so much I bought them for the sticks and bricks. This onne is only 600 watts. Induction is efficient when you are attached to the grid, direct heating of water is far more efficient when you are using batteries and an inverter.
Attached Images

Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:45 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
While it might be possible to modify your RV to run the cooktop on the inverter it would drain the batteries quick. As others said, when boondocking, either use the microwave or use a portable propane Coleman type burner.
hogdriver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter