Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2022, 07:57 PM   #1

Auto gen

So in setting AUTO GEN , and enabling AUTO GEN , it will fireup for no reason .

Batteries are fully top off and new . These are the AUTO GEN Settings

Safe Type= Ignition

Start@ V=12.0

Time@Start V=15 sec.

Stop@ V= Auto

Time@ Stop V=1min.

When i go to the EC30 hit auto gen then hit enter , it will fireup so not sure what i am doing wrong or what i am missing. Read the manual but don't see it.
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2022, 01:05 AM   #2

Be patient, I think Don or surely someone will help you this is a great topic lots of people learn. ��
Poppedclams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:53 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
One possibility is that your A/C's are calling for heat or cool. That would cause the Autogen to kick in.
Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:02 AM   #4

Ray ,

Not that i know of as , the ac / heaters were off. only thing that was running was the TV .. wanted to test it over night disconnected from shore power , even with shore power the AUTO GEN kicked on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayandWendy View Post
One possibility is that your A/C's are calling for heat or cool. That would cause the Autogen to kick in.
Later...
Ray
Old 01-24-2022, 06:28 PM   #5

in speaking with Don , looks like i will be calling Cummins Onan to get some help on this.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:32 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Have you found out anything about your EC30 from Cummins?
Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The EC30 will autostart under any one of two conditions - if the battery voltage is too low or if the thermostat is calling for air conditioner cooling. The EC30 will autostart in response to a thermostat request for cooling even if the shore power is present if the optional transformer is not installed. This small transformer mounts to the transfer switch and monitors the incoming shore power to convert 120 VAC to 12-24 VAC. This low voltage power is sent to two wires on the back of the EC30 so that the autogen feature will only start when shore power is not present if the thermostat calls for cooling.

If the transformer is not present, or has failed, then the unit would still start with shore power present. However, if your thermostat is "off" then this should not initiate an auto-startup.

If the voltage is too low, the EC30 will initiate an auto-start, regardless of shore power presence or not. Your low voltage setting of 12 VDC should be sufficient enough that your fully charged batteries, which are 12.6 volts at rest or even higher if your inverter-charger is actively charging the batteries, should not initiate a startup. I would verify that the EC30 does display the correct battery voltage. If it doesn't show 12.6 or better then you have a bad connection between the battery and EC30.

With that setting settings and the thermostat off there shouldn't be any auto-start initiated. If it does, then I would remove the EC30 from the cabinet. You do this by carefully picking off the cover faceplate, which is magnetically held to the controller. Then remove the two screws and it will pull right out from the wall. There is a 16 pin connector that easily unplugs from the back of the EC30. Remove it, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. See if that reboot makes a difference. If not, I would check to see that you have 12 volt battery power at pin 8 and that you have 12-24 VAC between pins 13 and 14 once shore power is connected. If all of this checks out it looks like you may have a bad controller.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:06 AM   #8

Ray, haven't had a chance to call yet .. on my list

QUOTE=RayandWendy;6067315]Have you found out anything about your EC30 from Cummins?
Later...
Ray[/QUOTE]
Old 01-31-2022, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
The EC30 will autostart under any one of two conditions - if the battery voltage is too low or if the thermostat is calling for air conditioner cooling. The EC30 will autostart in response to a thermostat request for cooling even if the shore power is present if the optional transformer is not installed. This small transformer mounts to the transfer switch and monitors the incoming shore power to convert 120 VAC to 12-24 VAC. This low voltage power is sent to two wires on the back of the EC30 so that the autogen feature will only start when shore power is not present if the thermostat calls for cooling.

If the transformer is not present, or has failed, then the unit would still start with shore power present. However, if your thermostat is "off" then this should not initiate an auto-startup.

If the voltage is too low, the EC30 will initiate an auto-start, regardless of shore power presence or not. Your low voltage setting of 12 VDC should be sufficient enough that your fully charged batteries, which are 12.6 volts at rest or even higher if your inverter-charger is actively charging the batteries, should not initiate a startup. I would verify that the EC30 does display the correct battery voltage. If it doesn't show 12.6 or better then you have a bad connection between the battery and EC30.

With that setting settings and the thermostat off there shouldn't be any auto-start initiated. If it does, then I would remove the EC30 from the cabinet. You do this by carefully picking off the cover faceplate, which is magnetically held to the controller. Then remove the two screws and it will pull right out from the wall. There is a 16 pin connector that easily unplugs from the back of the EC30. Remove it, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. See if that reboot makes a difference. If not, I would check to see that you have 12 volt battery power at pin 8 and that you have 12-24 VAC between pins 13 and 14 once shore power is connected. If all of this checks out it looks like you may have a bad controller.
Thanks , i will add this to my toolset to troubleshooting on my next stop. with shore power on the EC30 the batteries are showing 13.6 as are the magnum inverters are showing the same voltage. I would think like you said bad controller need to reset the EC30 . Maybe need to clean some connectors back there , as i did get a water leak earlier this year from IDA storms while in THE KEYS due to silicon failure in the side cap.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:16 PM   #10

Do you have a part number for the “optional transformer”?
Old 01-31-2022, 12:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I do not but it was a standard transformer. I had to add one to my previous Allegro Bus and either got it from Granger or Amazon.

Here's just one example:

https://www.amazon.com/Newhouse-Hard...ps%2C89&sr=8-8
Old 01-31-2022, 01:39 PM   #12

Any more info on how you wired this into your transfer switch and then to the EC30?
Old 01-31-2022, 02:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I mounted the Transformer in a steel electrical box and ran a pair of wires down to the shore power side lugs in the transfer switch. Then I ran a pair of low voltage wires up to the EC30. This was on a Tiffin and it was easy enough to get to the EC30. The EC30 wiring harness does have wires and it's possible those wires may be extended into the basement, cockpit area or otherwise easy to access area. On an Entegra that may be harder to do seeing as how they are over the entry door.

However, our 2016 CS came with the EC30 all wired up. In later years Entegra switched from the EC30 to a Magnum AGS and then to the Firefly G6 so there are a number of configurations out there. As a point of reference, when the Insignia first came out in 2016 I did a magazine article on it. It had the G6 controller in the mid-bath cabinet but the AGS module was a Xantrex module. The RS series Xantrex inverter communicated to the System Control Panel in the entry door overhead compartment. The SCP controlled the inverter but also the AGS module, which was mounted elsewhere in the coach. In that case the shore power sense transformer would be connected to the AGS module, not the SCP. That's the way I set up our older 2004 Allegro Bus, which had nothing in it until I added an RS2000 inverter, the AGS module and SCP. It's even possible that the 2016 Insignia may not have even come with AGS capability.

To give you more exact recommendations I would have to know what your system has.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:35 PM   #14

Cruzer…PM sent.