Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Auto Gen Start

We bought a 2012 Aspire in February but it's still sitting in Washington waiting to come home. We will be flying out in May to drive it back. Can anyone tell me if the 2012 Aspire has an automatic generator start? It's hard to remember everything that it features when we only saw it once. We won't get it home soon enough!
pttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Congrats on you purchase and welcome to the Entegra family. Believe the answer is yes for Aspire...maybe someone else will confirm.

I'd also query the dealer and see how it has been stored for the past several months. My concern would be batteries, but perhaps they have had it hooked up to some type of shore power. Good luck...I'm sure it'll be great to get your baby home.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Yes the Aspire has the same auto start panel as the Anthem and works the same.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Since the OP got his answer let me ask this question. How do you utilize this AutoStart?

My coach has one but I've never used it, not really sure what I need it for, not really covered very good by salesman or PDI tech.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
On my coach I use it to be sure when it is hot outside and we leave, my dog is safe should the power go out and the A/C goes off I know the generator will take over. Also when boon docking the generator will come on during the night should the house batteries get low. All this assumes you have the set point for the temperature and voltage done.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you for all the help! To answer the concern from DSL417, the coach is in storage and is connected to 50 amp shore power so we are fully charged. As for the auto start, we attend several NHRA drag races throughout the year and will be dry camping track side. We plan to use the auto start to keep coach comfortable.

We are counting down the days to bringing her home... less than a month and we'll have her home.

I have to say irv2 is the best forum I have found.
pttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I found out the hard way, there are two ways to wire an auto start One does NOT work if plugged into shore power and the power goes out. Another way is to wire it so that if shore power goes out, auto start will kick in. It cost me an additional $300. dealer fee after they did not tell me the truth how it worked. The new 2015's this will be corrected, but earlier model of Entegra's will not work if plugged into shore power.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I found out the hard way, there are two ways to wire an auto start One does NOT work if plugged into shore power and the power goes out. Another way is to wire it so that if shore power goes out, auto start will kick in. It cost me an additional $300. dealer fee after they did not tell me the truth how it worked. The new 2015's this will be corrected, but earlier model of Entegra's will not work if plugged into shore power.
??What would be the purpose of having AGS if it won't work when the coach is connected to shore power and shore power fails? When I installed the Onan wireless AGS on my previous coach, I did have to make sure it was wired so it was not fooled into thinking there was shore power due to the inverter. On my current rig, I have the ME AGS-N and it is programmed to start when shore power fails and temp in coach exceeds (74F..my setting) or if shore power fails and house battery voltage drops to 12.2 V (my setting).
Old 04-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
??What would be the purpose of having AGS if it won't work when the coach is connected to shore power and shore power fails? When I installed the Onan wireless AGS on my previous coach, I did have to make sure it was wired so it was not fooled into thinking there was shore power due to the inverter. On my current rig, I have the ME AGS-N and it is programmed to start when shore power fails and temp in coach exceeds (74F..my setting) or if shore power fails and house battery voltage drops to 12.2 V (my setting).
Exactly! and how it was represented to me when we placed our order. However, when I asked to have this shown to me how it worked on the PDI...I was informed they are not wired that way from the factory....that would be another $600. I hit the roof!! We split the cost but another misrepresentation from my selling dealer.

Just pointing out if others were like me and were told their auto start will work if shore power goes out, it does not on an Entegra until 2015.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Want to make sure it is clear,,,at least for me.

It is my understanding that if I was plugged in to shore power and lost that power that AGS is not programmed/wired to run. However, if I had the AGS programmed to come on if the coach got to 77 degrees then it would turn on even if I was plugged in to failed shore power. Correct?

If that is the case, even the older models have a "fail safe" for animals in the event of lost shore power in hot conditions?
Old 04-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
We were told that, if the AGS was active, the generator would kick in any time the A/C-Heat Pumps ran and there was not an alternate source of electricity. There was no distinction made on whether the coach was plugged in or not. Am I understanding the posts correctly? If I have the coach plugged in and suffer a power failure, my AGS will not start the generator when the A/C runs?
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
On my 2013 Anthem the generator will start when AGS is on and A/C is called for, REGARDLESS of whether you are plugged in to shore power or not. This is a flaw in that the factory chose not to connect the shore power sensing circuit of the AGS system. (I think this is what Chuck paid to have rewired). Because of this flaw, you cannot run your AC on shore power with the AGS set to on, because the generator would run, thereby disconnecting the shore power. So AGS becomes useless when shore power is being used.

AGS is very useful however when boondocking without shore power. It will monitor your A/C and your batteries and start and stop the generator as needed. It can also be programmed for quiet times when it will not run the generator, and it will automatically start the generator before the quiet time begins so that you start quiet time with charged batteries.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
Want to make sure it is clear,,,at least for me.

It is my understanding that if I was plugged in to shore power and lost that power that AGS is not programmed/wired to run. However, if I had the AGS programmed to come on if the coach got to 77 degrees then it would turn on even if I was plugged in to failed shore power. Correct?

If that is the case, even the older models have a "fail safe" for animals in the event of lost shore power in hot conditions?
That is indeed the manner that our 13 Aspire operated Cory, and though we have not yet used our Anthem I think it is the same. We travel with dogs and this was a feature inportant to us, I tested it several times.
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Corey, It was explained to me by Ted Cook that the Entegra needs a wire and a relay installed to have the AGS work if plugged into shore power and shore power went out. If not our dog could die of heat exhaustion if we were gone for the day and shore power went out. They are adding that feature in 2015, however we do not have pet safe AGS as they are wired now. It is stated on the 2015 upgrades: Auto genstart with shore power relay. I was as shocked to say the least and I am sure others are thinking the AC setting would over ride it, but it does not. LD charges $600. for that wire and relay.