Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #15

I have brought this up on other threads discussing this. You assume a liability when you modify safety features installed by the manufacturer. If it performs the way the manufacturer built it, they get sued. If you modify it, you get sued. Way too many people are looking for some of that "free money".
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
I have brought this up on other threads discussing this. You assume a liability when you modify safety features installed by the manufacturer. If it performs the way the manufacturer built it, they get sued. If you modify it, you get sued. Way too many people are looking for some of that "free money".
Not necessarily so. Spartan said it was an option to illuminate the brake light when using the jake brake. Don't "lawyer up" when you don't know. Next time you follow a semi using his jake brake watch for his tail lights.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
They should set up our coaches the way that they do the commercial Busses. Have a set of ambler lights that activate when using the compression (or exhaust) brake, and have the regular red lights for actual braking.
Larry, I agree with the above setup, I am also one that doesn't like the brake lights coming on when using the exhaust brake. Especially when going down a long grade, I believe it's annoying to the drivers behind you and gives the impression you are constantly riding the brakes! JMO.....Al
AlKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #18

On our coach only the high mounted tail light comes on with the engine brake, all lights come on with the service brake
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:05 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
On our coach only the high mounted tail light comes on with the engine brake, all lights come on with the service brake

That sounds like a good way to do it.
What chassis is your Essex built on.
Thanks for your input.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post

Most service brake issues are caused by lack of use rather than overuse. A typical example is your ABS system. If you never use it the odds of it actually working when you eventually need it are pretty good that it won't work. Ideally you would purge the ABS valves before starting the coach. You do that by leaving the key off, holding the brake pedal down with decent pressure, then turning the key to the ON position without starting the engine. You will hear six pops in sequence as each ABS valve purges itself. Then shut the key off and continue to start the engine.
Mark, I find that interesting. Do you know if this purge method is a Spartan thing or is it common on a chassis that uses air brakes?
Thank's,
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
That sounds like a good way to do it.
What chassis is your Essex built on.
Thanks for your input.
Spartan K2
Old 10-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
That is very true. Your service brakes are designed for 325,000 miles. You won't wear them out. The problem is when they start to get hot they release a layer of gas from the adhesives in the shoes or pads. The gas forms a boundary layer between the drum and if they are just "warm" (as far as brake m go) the gas forms a glaze on the linings. If you use them hard you'll heat that gas and allow it to dissipate and your linings won't glaze. The best thing you can do is leave the engine brake off and use it for descent control on grades. I do leave it on when cruising down the interstate just in case I have to do a panic stop and need that extra braking power. However, if I'm heading to an off-ramp I reach over and switch it off.

Most service brake issues are caused by lack of use rather than overuse. A typical example is your ABS system. If you never use it the odds of it actually working when you eventually need it are pretty good that it won't work. Ideally you would purge the ABS valves before starting the coach. You do that by leaving the key off, holding the brake pedal down with decent pressure, then turning the key to the ON position without starting the engine. You will hear six pops in sequence as each ABS valve purges itself. Then shut the key off and continue to start the engine.
Mark, thank you for the ABS valve test procedure.
Steve
Old 10-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Amazingly, our 2012 Winnebago Tour has two high mounted engine brake lights.

All rear lights come on with the service brakes. This is not new stuff.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Amazingly, our 2012 Winnebago Tour has two high mounted engine brake lights.

All rear lights come on with the service brakes. This is not new stuff.

I don't think the question is about if this function is new, but some don't like the fact that the brakes lights function when the engine brake engages. Makes you look like a rookie riding the brakes all the way down long downgrades.

Sorry but that's the way I look at it.
I think the proper name is "stop lights" not " brake lights".

My engine brake is pretty strong but it will never stop my coach, slow yes stop no.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
It's about the same as...check engine light.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
If you have a cummins engine get your cummins shop to program the aux brake for LATCH MODE.

You will then be able to leave aux brake on, coast down a hill and aux brake will not activate until you mash brake.
shunter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Mark, I find that interesting. Do you know if this purge method is a Spartan thing or is it common on a chassis that uses air brakes?
Thank's,
Pat
I asked that when at the Spartan Academy. I didn't get a firm answer on how FL does it. Big Mike suspected that they did, at least in the recent years but he couldn't say for sure. Generally once a manufacturer comes up with a good idea, everyone else copies it fairly soon. That's how the RV industry works. It's really a matter of programming the SCM and ABS modules to do that. FL uses their own a different logic controller but probably the same ABS module so they most likely could do it if they wanted to but not sure if they did. The best way, if you ever get in a FL chassis, is try it and see.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Freightliner use these ABS purge valves on there heavy duty truck line and I would imagine Custom Chassis would also use them.

It may be a requirement under FMCSA part 393.

Tags
brake, brake lights, engine, light, lights