Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #1

Aw, now I've mucked it up

I have a leak in one of the front marker lights. OK, I thought, a while ago I bought all new marker lights, so I'll just replace the bad one, and it's mate, as they failed light was not the center. Well, how the dickens do you remove the old one? I took the lens off, cleaned away the caulk, and can't get it out. I managed to break the white plastic base of the old light, but it's still solidly in there. What's the trick? I must replace both lights today as more rain is on the way.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Aw, now I've mucked it up

When I replaced mine what they had done was put a big and I mean big glob of silicone from the inside. All I was able to do was pull and cut the silicone to get it out. You probably have the same.

Steve
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #3

I have only about a quarter inch of wire showing, if that. I've been trying to pull some more slack with some needle-nose pliers, to no avail. It looks like there is an indentation in the fiberglass nose cap. There is a 1" hole in the middle for the wires, full of caulk, and two dabs of caulk where the screws go.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Take a sharp knife or a razor knife and cut the silicone caulking away from the light. When you get to the wires, cut a square plug around the wires leaving the 1 inch hole silicone plug in place. I used a razor knife, finishing the cut with a pocket knife. Don't worry about breaking the light getting it off, it's already broken.

It's easy to remove the silicone after the light is removed, it will peel off.

Pull the wires out enough to make the splice. The small square is much easier to seal with silicone than the 1 inch hole.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I recommend using solder connections for the extensions and watertight shrink tube. Short of that you can use hot glue to waterproof the connections and prevent shorting. You will never have a gremlin this way.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
I recommend using solder connections for the extensions and watertight shrink tube. Short of that you can use hot glue to waterproof the connections and prevent shorting. You will never have a gremlin this way.
I'm racing the sunset now. If I can get this done, it'll be splices and extreme tape for now, plus caulk.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #7

you can use small wire nut and fill the open end with silicone done deal.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #8

Well, the sun won. The wires on the light were spiraled through the caulk plug. I could not cut a small amount out, nor indeed cut much stuff all. I had to dig nibbles with a screwdriver and needlenose pliers. Ended up removing most of the caulk, and splicing in the new light is going to have to wait until the next sunny weekend. Might be in April, the way things are going here.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I found if I pulled the wires tight to one side, the silicone stretched on the other side and cut easy with a new blade in the razor knife. The razor knife would not go deep enough into the silicone plug so I pushed a thin blade sharp pocket knife through the rest of the way. Once through, the square plug was stuck to the wire and pulled right out. Hope the next one goes easier.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Watching FOX news being broadcast from Simi Valley (Reagan Library) right now.....the weather is perfect there for changing the marker lights.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:22 PM   #11

You got it. I'm working in Moorpark, close to the Reagan Library. I can see it out my office window. It's about 75 and sunny today. But I'm in the office. Working. Gah.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
BIG SECOND on this suggestion for long term.

Sounds like you got it off but a 1" putty Knife is a handy tool, I have one , plus some larger ones, and they stick those puppies on with adheasive/sealant, the knife can slice it off if you hit the thing hard enough.

Then lay your own caulk sealant (i have a brand I like to use UNDER the thing) and of course marine grade sealing heat shrink (i'm going to order some soon) is great stuff.

All Electroincs has it featured this month. Cheap.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
The maker light connection do not have to be water tight. If water gets to the light connections, there is a much more serious problem.....the ceiling will be soaked. There are many factory wires in that area including all of the inverter wiring and plugs, none of those connections are water tight.