Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Awning lights

Just coming off a fiver into our first class a. Aspire 42rbq. 2013. My better half is concerned how to provide light under the awning for night activities we had with our fifth wheel. Don't want to attach to awning for obvious reasons Does a anyone have any ideas? I'm certain I'm not the first with this quandary. Thanks. Ps. Hates the security light as an option.
PPAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've seen use of LED strip lights just under the lower body panels located under the awning. I plan to do that as soon as I have time. They keep the light down on the ground (not in your eyes). Seems to work well on others I've seen.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:38 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Waterproof LED will work perfect and what Gerard uses on the Anthem and CS awning.

If your current awning has a wind sensor you can pull power from it. This is just an example of the waterproof LEDs, not the best price...shop ebay for the best price and color you may want.
600 LEDs Super Bright White Waterproof 5M 16ft 3528 SMD LED Light Strip DC 12V | eBay

Or the under options. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/tell...ml#post2302479

Or one other option. My DW doesn't like a dark patio either. Now she can choose her lighting preference.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/tell...ml#post2262628
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks. I appreciate your help. I didn't even think of the wind sensor as a power source. I'll have to look at it to get a better idea of how to do, but it's great advice. Thanks again...
Old 11-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAinPA View Post
Thanks. I appreciate your help. I didn't even think of the wind sensor as a power source. I'll have to look at it to get a better idea of how to do, but it's great advice. Thanks again...
We've got a 2013 Anthem. For us it was easier to mount the switch over the Passenger seat. Power came from the antenna switch. We used a dimmer - the lights are really bright.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, unless you have an awning that auto-retracts you can easily attach to awning or to awning rail,, I have an awning that is SUPPOSED to auto retract.

I drilled two small holes about a hand's width down the arm from the awning, this is far enough that the rolled up awning will not block a line strung betwen the two holes

I got a pair of "S" hooks at the local hardware, the kind where one end is closed work best for this.

I hook the hooks in the holes and string a cloths line between them (tight) you can add a spring if you wish or a line tensioner device I did not.

Hang the lights from the line.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
If you can get one of these that work...it will also work as an on and off switch with power from the wind sensor. I have purchased six of these and have only received one that works. There are others on Ebay and I will be trying one of those soon. 12V RF Wireless Remote Switch Controller Dimmer for Mini LED Strip Light New DX | eBay
Old 11-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks again, Chuck.....
Old 11-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well, unless you have an awning that auto-retracts you can easily attach to awning or to awning rail,, I have an awning that is SUPPOSED to auto retract.

I drilled two small holes about a hand's width down the arm from the awning, this is far enough that the rolled up awning will not block a line strung betwen the two holes

I got a pair of "S" hooks at the local hardware, the kind where one end is closed work best for this.

I hook the hooks in the holes and string a cloths line between them (tight) you can add a spring if you wish or a line tensioner device I did not.

Hang the lights from the line.

What model of awning do you have?

Curt

Sent from my iPhone
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2013 aspire rbq with wind sensor on awning.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #11

Details

Can you elaborate on the use of the wind sensor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Waterproof LED will work perfect and what Gerard uses on the Anthem and CS awning.

If your current awning has a wind sensor you can pull power from it. This is just an example of the waterproof LEDs, not the best price...shop ebay for the best price and color you may want.
600 LEDs Super Bright White Waterproof 5M 16ft 3528 SMD LED Light Strip DC 12V | eBay

Or the under options. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/tell...ml#post2302479

Or one other option. My DW doesn't like a dark patio either. Now she can choose her lighting preference.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/tell...ml#post2262628
vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I've posted this idea before -- LED strips tucked under the slide topper cover on each slide (plus over the front door). Power for the strip that is under the patio awning comes from the 12volt circuit that was abandoned after removal of the Norcold fridge.

Sorry that picture does not show patio awning extended.

\ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140707_203747c.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	78868   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0311c.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	78869  

Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfauto View Post
Can you elaborate on the use of the wind sensor!
The wind sensor will have 12v power to it. You should be able to use the 12V power before the sensor switch to power 12V LED's lights. Add a 12V remote LED switch found on ebay and shown in an earlier post and there is the power to add LED strip lights and the switch to turn them off.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
If you can get one of these that work...it will also work as an on and off switch with power from the wind sensor. I have purchased six of these and have only received one that works. There are others on Ebay and I will be trying one of those soon. 12V RF Wireless Remote Switch Controller Dimmer for Mini LED Strip Light New DX | eBay
I ordered 5 of them in August they just refunded my money last week they never came.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, lights