Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #1

Awning motor runs for 5 - 10 minutes after fully in

I have had my front shade travel fixed several times already, but this new problem has been happening for about 6 months. I wonder if anyone has a fix.

When I bring in the front main slide main awning on the passenger side, the motor does not stop when the awning is fully rewound (nested) but continues to try to run for an additional ~ 10 minutes. You can hear a clear hummmm that an electric motor makes when it has power to it but cannot turn. I've tried re-booting the power but because it is 12 volts, that does nothing. I've tried turning off inverters but that does nothing. On my 15 Anthem, I could easily kill power to the controllers, but on this coach, the controllers are a sealed unit and all wires are in a bundle.

Any ideas why it is not turning off or how to kill the power to "save' the motor?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, on the 19, aren't these 110v plug to the awning controllers? I am not at the coach and pulling from memory.

A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I have had my front shade travel fixed several times already, but this new problem has been happening for about 6 months. I wonder if anyone has a fix.

When I bring in the front main slide main awning on the passenger side, the motor does not stop when the awning is fully rewound (nested) but continues to try to run for an additional ~ 10 minutes. You can hear a clear hummmm that an electric motor makes when it has power to it but cannot turn. I've tried re-booting the power but because it is 12 volts, that does nothing. I've tried turning off inverters but that does nothing. On my 15 Anthem, I could easily kill power to the controllers, but on this coach, the controllers are a sealed unit and all wires are in a bundle.

Any ideas why it is not turning off or how to kill the power to "save' the motor?

Gary
Gary, that motor is suppose to shutoff immediately as the awning stows.
You can run the awning out a couple feet and use the plastic adjustment tool or a 1/8 Allen wrench “I think” to turn the top adjuster on the motor. It’s the red one.
It doesn’t take much so turn it 1/8 turn at a time. The way I adjusted mine was to turn it enough so the motor was shutting off with the awning still out 3-4 inches and then going the other way until the motor and the awning both stopped at the same time.
Motors, and adjustment, are rear of front awning and front of rear awning so adjustment is easy to get to.
If you ever need to adjust the rear awning the adjustment for stowing is on the bottom, unlike the front being on top.
They really are easy to adjust.

standard installation is on the right hand side of the awning). The limit adjustment holes are located on the head of the motor. Using the symbols printed next to the adjustment holes, turn the black key (or 4mm Allen wrench) to make the necessary adjustments. Typically the motors are labeled with a + or a -. (Figure 7)
(Figure 16)
5. Approximately 1⁄4 turn of the adjustment screws represents about 1” of awning movement.
Adjust OUT limits; (+) extends more, (-) extends less
Adjust IN limits; (+) closes more, (-) closes less
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Gary, on the 19, aren't these 110v plug to the awning controllers? I am not at the coach and pulling from memory.

Can’t do the adjustment from there, Chuck.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:15 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Gary.. perhaps starting your engine will activate the vegatouch to shut the power to the awning…releasing the air brake switch does as well!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:21 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gunter View Post
Can’t do the adjustment from there, Chuck.
I was referring to killing the power to the motor that Gary was asking about. Your fix is much better.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I was referring to killing the power to the motor that Gary was asking about. Your fix is much better.
Ok, yeah if he adjust them it’s one and done.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gunter View Post
Ok, yeah if he adjust them it’s one and done.
And I learned where the motor stop adjustment is, thank you.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:59 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
If you have a remote, just hit pause (the square in the middle)...that stopped the motor on mine.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
12 Volt reboot wont do anything as the awnings run off of 110V. And are operated by remotes. There is a breaker above the drivers head that will kill the 110V feed. It is NOT marked, you will have to flip each one to identify. Once you get the power killed, you can relax a bit then do as described above and adjust the motor stops. Little increments at a time. Most Entegras come with a plastic tool to adjust the awnings. Mine were taped together in a kitchen drawer.
Good luck.
Hivoltmaint. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:20 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Page 28
https://www.girardgroupcompanies.com...73922b6d5e.pdf
Hivoltmaint. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:25 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcosdad View Post
If you have a remote, just hit pause (the square in the middle)...that stopped the motor on mine.
X2. My front one did that too last year before it was adjusted at the factory. i could stop it by pushing the "stop" button in the cabinet above the entrance door.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:10 AM   #13

I tried hitting the stop button but that did not stop the motor hummin to the best of my memory. I'll give it another try tonight.

Ahhhhh, there is nothing like the manual and I don't know why, but that is usually the last thing that I remember to consult. I never thought to do that. The pictures really help too.... I see there is a caution that letting the motor run like that will substantially reduce the motor life... Thanks again everyone. When the weather supports it (and it does out here in Colorado), we LOVE to just run the awning out a little and turn on the LED lights so we can sip our wine and look at our phone outside at 10ish in the cool nights The LEDS light light up the whole passenger side of our RV slot.

If the manual is right, I'm going to be screwing that adjustment screw in or out about 20 full turns to get that thing adjusted. The motor runs a Looooooooong time before it stops. Whomever worked on my awning last time musta really forgotten to do the adjustment!!

But thanks for the specific information. I will try to do the whole adjustment at our next stop.... We are finding we can explore one day and then need to rest a day.... getting older... damn! Heading to Ouray today..., travel tomorrow, then nap and R&R....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:17 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Gary. I recently adjusted my Girard awnings because they were not quite retracting all the way. I was afraid the wind would catch them driving. I watched a YouTube video a RV tech posted about adjusting the stop limits and he specifically talked about listening for that motor to stop running or it will overheat and shorten the life. I found that even 1/8th of a turn on the in or out adjustment screw with that long plastic Allen wrench makes the difference. If you have a ladder it’s easy to set the limit on that retract screw if you have the remote with you on the ladder. It’s easier if it’s quiet around you to listen for the motor.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, motor