Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2021, 07:05 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Back up camera screen and steps

Good morning all

Well, it WAS a fun-filled weekend before I have to head back to the hospital.

I have two brand new issues that happened just as we were leaving.

1- We closed up everything and just as I closed the door and back out, my wife is screaming to stop. The steps only went in about 4 inches and then stopped dead. I think the motor is shot. I did check the fuse and it looks good. The light under the coach is working. I used a ratchet strap to hold the steps up in order to get underway.

2- The lower screen on my dash (rearview camera) is no longer working. It was working as I was backing up and just as we started to go forward, off it went. The light on the left-hand side is on, but the screen is black. I switched the camera to the top screen and it works just fine.

Any ideas on today's issues would be great.

By the way- Last week's issue of the shades not going up WAS because the engine was on.

Be safe

Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
Good morning all

Well, it WAS a fun-filled weekend before I have to head back to the hospital.

I have two brand new issues that happened just as we were leaving.

1- We closed up everything and just as I closed the door and back out, my wife is screaming to stop. The steps only went in about 4 inches and then stopped dead. I think the motor is shot. I did check the fuse and it looks good. The light under the coach is working. I used a ratchet strap to hold the steps up in order to get underway.

2- The lower screen on my dash (rearview camera) is no longer working. It was working as I was backing up and just as we started to go forward, off it went. The light on the left-hand side is on, but the screen is black. I switched the camera to the top screen and it works just fine.

Any ideas on today's issues would be great.

By the way- Last week's issue of the shades not going up WAS because the engine was on.

Be safe

Dr. Mike
Hi Mike,

I can't help you with the camera but the steps sound like the gears might be shot. If you were able to move them by hand and ratchet strap them in place, the gears are broken. That is typical if the steps are "stepped" on when they are still extending. That little motor is not made to carry the weight of a person while they are moving. Motors can be found on amazon or ebay for around $150. I can probably find a part number for you if thats what you think you need.

Jeanne
Magic-carpet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:23 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
On the camera, try a 12v reboot.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:24 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
Hi Mike,

I can't help you with the camera but the steps sound like the gears might be shot. If you were able to move them by hand and ratchet strap them in place, the gears are broken. That is typical if the steps are "stepped" on when they are still extending. That little motor is not made to carry the weight of a person while they are moving. Motors can be found on amazon or ebay for around $150. I can probably find a part number for you if thats what you think you need.

Jeanne
Hi Jeanne

I took a photo of the motor when I was under there. Perhaps I should think of this as being fortunate. The motor (and associated parts) are original from 2013. From what I understand from this forum, 7 years is outstanding service.

Thanks

Dr. Mike
Old 09-06-2021, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi Jeanne

I took a photo of the motor when I was under there. Perhaps I should think of this as being fortunate. The motor (and associated parts) are original from 2013. From what I understand from this forum, 7 years is outstanding service.

Thanks

Dr. Mike
Great.... I think you should start with the motor, especially if you can move the steps by hand. Motor is all you should need.

As Chuck said, try a 12v reboot for the camera issue. Its amazing what a 12v reboot can fix.
Magic-carpet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:31 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
On the camera, try a 12v reboot.
I suppose the first question to ask is where do I do the reboot?

Be safe

Dr. Mike
Old 09-07-2021, 05:18 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
The 12v power switch is in the group of switches as you come in the front door, should have a red light. Also there is one on the drivers side switch console, if they installed one there on the 13's. 14's on up have two 12v power switches they are that important.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:11 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
The 12v power switch is in the group of switches as you come in the front door, should have a red light. Also, there is one on the driver's side switch console, if they installed one there on the 13's. 14's on up have two 12v power switches they are that important.
Oh yes, I use them all the time. I just did not know it was a "reboot"!

I did the reboot, as well as checked the fuse and this motor is not wanting to budge. What troubles me is that it just stopped dead. No noise, no poor function....just dead.

As a side note: I have kept the steps and all the joints well lubricated and no one has stepped on them while moving.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:22 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Oh yes, I use them all the time. I just did not know it was a "reboot"!

I did the reboot, as well as checked the fuse and this motor is not wanting to budge. What troubles me is that it just stopped dead. No noise, no poor function....just dead.

As a side note: I have kept the steps and all the joints well lubricated and no one has stepped on them while moving.
The 12v reboot was for the camera. The steps more than likely, as Jeanne said, have died of old age. When the motor/gear box fail they can with no warming. They'll work going out but won't come back in as my last motor failure did. If it is the motor, sometimes tapping it with a screwdriver handle will get it to move.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:43 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
The 12v reboot was for the camera. The steps more than likely, as Jeanne said, have died of old age. When the motor/gear box fail they can with no warming. They'll work going out but won't come back in as my last motor failure did. If it is the motor, sometimes tapping it with a screwdriver handle will get it to move.
Hi
I will have to check the screen out when I get home tonight. If the 12V reboot does not work, do you (or anyone in the audience) have any additional suggestions? I went ahead and ordered a new step motor.

I really love the coach, but sometimes........

You guys are awesome. Thanks for helping us out. Steps or no steps, Our next trip begins on Thursday. I can’t wait to share the next issue with the group!

Dr. Mike
Old 09-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
If the 12V reboot does not work, do you (or anyone in the audience) have any additional suggestions?
I may be mistaken (that seems to be happening much more frequently), but, I thought that the Xite system was powered off the chassis electrical system. Cycling power using the "salesman switch" only cycles power on the house 12v system, right? The chassis remains energized throughout that house reboot, I believe.

I'm pretty sure that I've driven my '18 Anthem with the salesman switch off and still had use of both the steps and the Xite (including cameras) system.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. It's been almost 2 years since I sourced a step motor. WOW!!! It looks like they're more than twice as expensive now.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:20 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
I may be mistaken (that seems to be happening much more frequently), but, I thought that the Xite system was powered off the chassis electrical system. Cycling power using the "salesman switch" only cycles power on the house 12v system, right? The chassis remains energized throughout that house reboot, I believe.

I'm pretty sure that I've driven my '18 Anthem with the salesman switch off and still had use of both the steps and the Xite (including cameras) system.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. It's been almost 2 years since I sourced a step motor. WOW!!! It looks like they're more than twice as expensive now.
The cameras are locking up frequently on the 21's. The Entegra fix is to reboot 12v house. It does work. It also worked on my 14 when the GPS screen would go wonky or freeze up. I have used the 12v switch on the drivers console on my 14 when the GPS would lock up while traveling. Thankfully it always fixed the glitch.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:53 PM   #13
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
The rear camera screen went blank on my 2014 Anthem this past weekend while traveling to Starkville for the MSU game, but the PIP on the navigation screen worked fine. After arriving, I unscrewed the panel containing the two screens, tilting it forward to reveal the “rats nest” of wires. The camera screen has just a ribbon cable connecting it, but to the right was three RCA cables with electrical tape around them. Wiggled all three to make sure they were connected together, and guess what, the screen came back to life.
JJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:05 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT View Post
The rear camera screen went blank on my 2014 Anthem this past weekend while traveling to Starkville for the MSU game, but the PIP on the navigation screen worked fine. After arriving, I unscrewed the panel containing the two screens, tilting it forward to reveal the “rats nest” of wires. The camera screen has just a ribbon cable connecting it, but to the right was three RCA cables with electrical tape around them. Wiggled all three to make sure they were connected together, and guess what, the screen came back to life.
Jim- interesting post. Stemming off of Jim’s post, do the wires for the camera run In the ceiling inside the bays? My wife was loading a lot of stuff to take to family and I wonder if she could have hit one of the wires.

Just a theory.

Be safe

Dr. Mike

Tags
camera, scr, steps