RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #1

Balancing A/C system

Any thoughts on how to set the front, middle and rear AC temps for best performance.

We are in Kerrville, TX. Its about 82 F right now.

I noticed that the front AC unit has run almost all day but the middle and rear units have cycled on and off like I would expect.

Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2020, 04:44 PM   #2

I set the rear unit low enough that it cycles, same for the middle, lowered set points until the front cycles

I use the front temperature as the target

The settings vary based on the sun and ambient

Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #3

Your Mh has a common a/c duct front to rear. Every Mh I’ve had I block the duct at entrance to bedroom or bathroom depending on floor plan. This makes the rear a/c unit take care of bath and bedroom and keeps all of #1&2 up front where it belongs.
Second: space the temp sensor for the front a/c unit 3/4 to 1 inch away from the box it’s mounted on above the passenger seat.
Third: I have removed the 8 inch outlet vents up front and cut the holes a couple inches larger and installed 10 inch vents.
First two are probably most important, but a 10 inch vent also helps. My system doesn’t vary more that a degree or two from what it’s set on and most of the time not that.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #4

Dave

My coach (19 Cornerstone) is fundamentally the same as you describe. Part of that is that the front caps are generally dark paint colors whereas the roof is white. The front cap area is heavily glass which admits most of the sunlight and heat.

I feel that there was a big improvement when I bought Magne-Shades. Any set of shades on the outside of the window will absorb much of the heat and keep it outside of the coach. If I am going to be somewhere for more than a day or two, I put up my MagneShades on all front and side windows on the front cap (e.g. the copilot two windows, the door window, the front windshield and the toll window). All of them have MagneShades fitted for them.

Also, in addition to the outside shades, I always bring down the inside day shades and they stay down all day when it is hot. I hate the fact that it seems that the coach is dark inside all day.

Of course, if there is no wind, then you can deploy the Girard awnings. They shade best when fully deployed, but I have found those Girards to be flimsy when fully deployed and rarely find that I can run them out fully. If there is even average wind, the "shake sensors" in the awnings will force them to retract.

To be honest, I also try to avoid being in hot to very hot environments in the bus. I live in Louisiana and for the first year or two, I tended to head to the Mississippi, Louisiana, or Texas Gulf Coast in the summer, and my experience is exactly what you describe. Both my wife and I started to sour on those places at those times of year. We have moved to traveling in the winter and late summer and fall but the whole logic is to get somewhere where the temperatures are moderate and avoid either hot or cold. That is the solution we have found works best.

If you come up with something that works well and better than I have tried, I would sure appreciate hearing about it.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Dave

My coach (19 Cornerstone) is fundamentally the same as you describe. Part of that is that the front caps are generally dark paint colors whereas the roof is white. The front cap area is heavily glass which admits most of the sunlight and heat.

I feel that there was a big improvement when I bought Magne-Shades. Any set of shades on the outside of the window will absorb much of the heat and keep it outside of the coach. If I am going to be somewhere for more than a day or two, I put up my MagneShades on all front and side windows on the front cap (e.g. the copilot two windows, the door window, the front windshield and the toll window). All of them have MagneShades fitted for them.

Also, in addition to the outside shades, I always bring down the inside day shades and they stay down all day when it is heat. I hate the fact that it seems that the coach is dark inside all day.

Of course, if there is no wind, then you can deploy the Girard awnings. They shade best when fully deployed, but I have found those Girards to be flimsy fully deployed and rarely find that I can run them out fully. If there is even average wind, the shake sensors in the awnings will force them to retract.

To be honest, I also try to avoid being in hot to very hot environments in the bus. I live in Louisiana and for the first year or two, I tended to head to the Mississippi or Texas Gulf Coast in the summer, and my experience is exactly what you describe. Both my wife and I started to sour on those places at those times of year. We have moved to traveling in the winter and late summer and fall but the whole logic is to get somewhere where the temperatures are moderate and avoid either hot or cold. That is the solution we have found works best.

If you come up with something that works well and better than I have tried, I would sure appreciate hearing about it.

Gary
I just put it his post Gary.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #6

Interesting and helpful stuff for sure

Due to the noise level I like to cool towards the back and let the front run the least in daytime

Like the bedroom cooler at night and less noise so then turn things around and run the front ac more

Middle unit tends to cycle when temps are high

Due to a lot of black Sikkens paint in 100 degrees ambient they all run during the heat of the day most of the time

Works for us
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #7

Determined that the middle AC units is not functioning. Just turned off the front and rear units to test to see if there would be any fan noise or air flow. There was not.

Well, I am accumulating a list of issues for sure.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Every Mh I’ve had I block the duct at entrance to bedroom or bathroom depending on floor plan. This makes the rear a/c unit take care of bath and bedroom and keeps all of #1&2 up front where it belongs.
Hi J.H.,

Where/how do you access the duct and what do you use to block the airflow?

Thanks.

Take care,
Stu
Old 06-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi J.H.,

Where/how do you access the duct and what do you use to block the airflow?

Thanks.

Take care,
Stu
Stu, I pull the vents down in the outlet ducts. On my floor plan that is in the half bath for one and just outside the half bath for other one. I just use a piece of foam rubber and cut it to fit tight in the duct.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Your Mh has a common a/c duct front to rear. Every Mh I’ve had I block the duct at entrance to bedroom or bathroom depending on floor plan. This makes the rear a/c unit take care of bath and bedroom and keeps all of #1&2 up front where it belongs.
Second: space the temp sensor for the front a/c unit 3/4 to 1 inch away from the box it’s mounted on above the passenger seat.
Third: I have removed the 8 inch outlet vents up front and cut the holes a couple inches larger and installed 10 inch vents.
First two are probably most important, but a 10 inch vent also helps. My system doesn’t vary more that a degree or two from what it’s set on and most of the time not that.
What did you use to block off the rear?
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
If you block the ducts then you are preventing the rear unit from assisting the front ones. This seems counterproductive to me. Also, at night I like to run the center unit to cool the bedroom as using the rear unit is too noisy.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:12 PM   #12

This is the one outside 1/2 bath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09588377-DE9A-473F-907E-01588C331879.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	288008  
Old 06-02-2020, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
If you block the ducts then you are preventing the rear unit from assisting the front ones. This seems counterproductive to me. Also, at night I like to run the center unit to cool the bedroom as using the rear unit is too noisy.
No what happens is bedroom is easy to cool so rear shuts off and then air from front a/c units go to bedroom and keeps it cool so rear air never comes back on. Meanwhile, the air you need up front is going to the rear.
We run our rear air at night to keep cool and to cover up any outside noise. Everyone has their own way of doing things, but over the years I have found this to work best.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Stu, I pull the vents down in the outlet ducts. On my floor plan that is in the half bath for one and just outside the half bath for other one. I just use a piece of foam rubber and cut it to fit tight in the duct.
Thanks, J.H. I think I'll fiddle around with that strategy. It's always seemed like the middle unit would be better used if all its airflow could be pushed forward. It's never seemed that cooling the bedroom has been a problem.

If these: https://keenhome.io/products/smart-vent weren't so expensive, I think I'd be inclined to try them out.

Take care,
Stu