RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
Senior Member


 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Bryan, TX
Posts: 268
Basement door damage repair

Freak accident (I am the freak) gouged 2 of my basement doors. Only paint color damaged is gold so I removed them and took to local paint/body repair. One door needed to be hammered out a bit. They removed the back black insulation which tore it up pretty good. I hoped to replace the insulation, but door factory refuses to sell that piece/material and only sells complete doors via Entegra parts. That would make the repair cost 5x or more including complete baggage door, chrome trim and 4 color paint design.
Anyone had this experience and found a source for the insulation panel?
2016 CS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	055094CC-B5EA-4F72-8B3A-EA31063AF835.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	305549  
__________________
David and Andi
2016 Cornerstone 45A
Bryan, Tx
DavidH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Highland NY
Posts: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH2 View Post
Freak accident (I am the freak) gouged 2 of my basement doors. Only paint color damaged is gold so I removed them and took to local paint/body repair. One door needed to be hammered out a bit. They removed the back black insulation which tore it up pretty good. I hoped to replace the insulation, but door factory refuses to sell that piece/material and only sells complete doors via Entegra parts. That would make the repair cost 5x or more including complete baggage door, chrome trim and 4 color paint design.
Anyone had this experience and found a source for the insulation panel?
2016 CS
Any metal fab shop can make the cover sheet. You just need some styrofoam
__________________
Bruce, Lisa and the pups, Charlie, Rosie, Opie and Rebel
2021 Cornerstone Y Azure
2018 Anthem, Victory Blue Sold, 2019 Ram Laramie 1500
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Troutdale, Oregon
Posts: 972
Interesting. I'm doing the same thing. We were driving on e curving road and coming around a corner I saw a rock the size of a basketball on the road. I turned to the left to miss it but a truck was coming. I missed the rock at the front of the RV, but not the back. It bent in the bottom of two doors. One not so bad. I took off the doors and bent back the lesser of the two. The other was so bad I couldn't do it. I have $1000 deductible but I can't find any out that will do it. So, I took the door to a sheet metal shop. They beat the hell out of it and put the shape back close. When I took it home and put it back on the RV they didn't line up dead of. A little pulling and hammering got it close. Cost $75. Now I need to use Bondo and repaint. Have a guy that will mix up paint with dead on color. You can replace the chrome bottom and I think the rest will be easy. By the way, I looked into getting used doors and they wanted $1200 each plus $400 each for shipping. The shop wants $7000 to repair. I'll do it myself for around $200 total.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Troutdale, Oregon
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH2 View Post
Freak accident (I am the freak) gouged 2 of my basement doors. Only paint color damaged is gold so I removed them and took to local paint/body repair. One door needed to be hammered out a bit. They removed the back black insulation which tore it up pretty good. I hoped to replace the insulation, but door factory refuses to sell that piece/material and only sells complete doors via Entegra parts. That would make the repair cost 5x or more including complete baggage door, chrome trim and 4 color paint design.
Anyone had this experience and found a source for the insulation panel?
2016 CS
Check salvage RV
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Highland NY
Posts: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
Interesting. I'm doing the same thing. We were driving on e curving road and coming around a corner I saw a rock the size of a basketball on the road. I turned to the left to miss it but a truck was coming. I missed the rock at the front of the RV, but not the back. It bent in the bottom of two doors. One not so bad. I took off the doors and bent back the lesser of the two. The other was so bad I couldn't do it. I have $1000 deductible but I can't find any out that will do it. So, I took the door to a sheet metal shop. They beat the hell out of it and put the shape back close. When I took it home and put it back on the RV they didn't line up dead of. A little pulling and hammering got it close. Cost $75. Now I need to use Bondo and repaint. Have a guy that will mix up paint with dead on color. You can replace the chrome bottom and I think the rest will be easy. By the way, I looked into getting used doors and they wanted $1200 each plus $400 each for shipping. The shop wants $7000 to repair. I'll do it myself for around $200 total.
7k for repair is beyond ridiculous. They obviously didn't want your business. Either that or they thought you were a fat cat.
__________________
Bruce, Lisa and the pups, Charlie, Rosie, Opie and Rebel
2021 Cornerstone Y Azure
2018 Anthem, Victory Blue Sold, 2019 Ram Laramie 1500
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
7k for repair is beyond ridiculous. They obviously didn't want your business. Either that or they thought you were a fat cat.


I had a similar problem, called Entegra Parts and the New door was $400.00. Got a estimate to replace and paint it was $6400.00 I thought that was ridiculous.
I will have it done later at a body shop I will provide the new door.
FLOWERSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOWERSS View Post
I had a similar problem, called Entegra Parts and the New door was $400.00. Got a estimate to replace and paint it was $6400.00 I thought that was ridiculous.
I will have it done later at a body shop I will provide the new door.


From what I was told the price was due to 5 colors and insurance will pay the big price. I’m dot turning it into insurance.
FLOWERSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:20 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOWERSS View Post
I had a similar problem, called Entegra Parts and the New door was $400.00. Got a estimate to replace and paint it was $6400.00 I thought that was ridiculous.
I will have it done later at a body shop I will provide the new door.


Where can you order the door? I need one.
tkocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
brobox's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 23,595
If you could attach a photo of what the insulation looks like behind the panel, I am sure there are a few here with construction experience that will know where that type of insulation can be found.
__________________
Chuck in SW FL
Digital 2021 Cornerstone "B"
A "Digital" 2019 Cornerstone "B" Traded
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #10
Senior Member


 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Bryan, TX
Posts: 268
Photo of door-if not too big

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
If you could attach a photo of what the insulation looks like behind the panel, I am sure there are a few here with construction experience that will know where that type of insulation can be found.
My paint guy gave up trying to remove the aluminum shell that holds the insulation in place and seals against the door gaskets when closed. He cut a window through the aluminum which I will then cover with a new aluminum piece I am having cutaneous bent to fit end to end. Will use rivets. My doors are repaired and painted and reinstalled with new wire butt splices and new chrome from Summitt Manufacturing in Altoona, IA- great folks there!
As for completer new doors, the maker will not sell direct, only from Entegra parts.
I had to replace the styrofoam insulation. It is 1 1/2 inch thick, dense styrofoam. I had some on hand so cut to fit and glued in place with liquid nails. The entire unit on back of door is aluminum sheet that is “folded” around approx 1.5 inch tubular metal, likely aluminum. That tubing forms a rectangle, which gives structure to the hinge attachments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	775B0087-977B-42CA-87F0-B49A35C18C83.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	309032   Click image for larger version

Name:	947403EC-7BFC-4CAE-A419-478D5CD3FCA8.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	309033  

__________________
David and Andi
2016 Cornerstone 45A
Bryan, Tx
DavidH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air, door, repair



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to remove a basement door for repair? bdaball Newmar Owner's Forum 19 08-26-2019 07:32 AM
Bay door damage and repair, suggestions? gutsgolf iRV2.com General Discussion 6 06-26-2019 08:17 AM
Damage from sun verses damage from cover donnickerson Newmar Owner's Forum 9 03-22-2016 07:44 AM
Door damage repair question Virago-Rider Class A Motorhome Discussions 3 05-24-2014 05:56 PM
05 Dolphin Basement Door Bracket Repair kb7our National RV Owner's Forum 2 04-10-2009 02:45 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.