Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2020, 09:19 AM   #1

Basement door damage repair

Freak accident (I am the freak) gouged 2 of my basement doors. Only paint color damaged is gold so I removed them and took to local paint/body repair. One door needed to be hammered out a bit. They removed the back black insulation which tore it up pretty good. I hoped to replace the insulation, but door factory refuses to sell that piece/material and only sells complete doors via Entegra parts. That would make the repair cost 5x or more including complete baggage door, chrome trim and 4 color paint design.
Anyone had this experience and found a source for the insulation panel?
2016 CS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	055094CC-B5EA-4F72-8B3A-EA31063AF835.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	305549  
DavidH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH2 View Post
Freak accident (I am the freak) gouged 2 of my basement doors. Only paint color damaged is gold so I removed them and took to local paint/body repair. One door needed to be hammered out a bit. They removed the back black insulation which tore it up pretty good. I hoped to replace the insulation, but door factory refuses to sell that piece/material and only sells complete doors via Entegra parts. That would make the repair cost 5x or more including complete baggage door, chrome trim and 4 color paint design.
2016 CS
Any metal fab shop can make the cover sheet. You just need some styrofoam
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:40 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Interesting. I'm doing the same thing. We were driving on e curving road and coming around a corner I saw a rock the size of a basketball on the road. I turned to the left to miss it but a truck was coming. I missed the rock at the front of the RV, but not the back. It bent in the bottom of two doors. One not so bad. I took off the doors and bent back the lesser of the two. The other was so bad I couldn't do it. I have $1000 deductible but I can't find any out that will do it. So, I took the door to a sheet metal shop. They beat the hell out of it and put the shape back close. When I took it home and put it back on the RV they didn't line up dead of. A little pulling and hammering got it close. Cost $75. Now I need to use Bondo and repaint. Have a guy that will mix up paint with dead on color. You can replace the chrome bottom and I think the rest will be easy. By the way, I looked into getting used doors and they wanted $1200 each plus $400 each for shipping. The shop wants $7000 to repair. I'll do it myself for around $200 total.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH2 View Post
2016 CS
Check salvage RV
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
Interesting. I'm doing the same thing. We were driving on e curving road and coming around a corner I saw a rock the size of a basketball on the road. I turned to the left to miss it but a truck was coming. I missed the rock at the front of the RV, but not the back. It bent in the bottom of two doors. One not so bad. I took off the doors and bent back the lesser of the two. The other was so bad I couldn't do it. I have $1000 deductible but I can't find any out that will do it. So, I took the door to a sheet metal shop. They beat the hell out of it and put the shape back close. When I took it home and put it back on the RV they didn't line up dead of. A little pulling and hammering got it close. Cost $75. Now I need to use Bondo and repaint. Have a guy that will mix up paint with dead on color. You can replace the chrome bottom and I think the rest will be easy. By the way, I looked into getting used doors and they wanted $1200 each plus $400 each for shipping. The shop wants $7000 to repair. I'll do it myself for around $200 total.
7k for repair is beyond ridiculous. They obviously didn't want your business. Either that or they thought you were a fat cat.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
7k for repair is beyond ridiculous. They obviously didn't want your business. Either that or they thought you were a fat cat.

I had a similar problem, called Entegra Parts and the New door was $400.00. Got a estimate to replace and paint it was $6400.00 I thought that was ridiculous.
I will have it done later at a body shop I will provide the new door.
FLOWERSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOWERSS View Post
I had a similar problem, called Entegra Parts and the New door was $400.00. Got a estimate to replace and paint it was $6400.00 I thought that was ridiculous.

From what I was told the price was due to 5 colors and insurance will pay the big price. I’m dot turning it into insurance.
FLOWERSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOWERSS View Post

Where can you order the door? I need one.
tkocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:46 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
If you could attach a photo of what the insulation looks like behind the panel, I am sure there are a few here with construction experience that will know where that type of insulation can be found.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #10

Photo of door-if not too big

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
If you could attach a photo of what the insulation looks like behind the panel, I am sure there are a few here with construction experience that will know where that type of insulation can be found.
My paint guy gave up trying to remove the aluminum shell that holds the insulation in place and seals against the door gaskets when closed. He cut a window through the aluminum which I will then cover with a new aluminum piece I am having cutaneous bent to fit end to end. Will use rivets. My doors are repaired and painted and reinstalled with new wire butt splices and new chrome from Summitt Manufacturing in Altoona, IA- great folks there!
As for completer new doors, the maker will not sell direct, only from Entegra parts.
I had to replace the styrofoam insulation. It is 1 1/2 inch thick, dense styrofoam. I had some on hand so cut to fit and glued in place with liquid nails. The entire unit on back of door is aluminum sheet that is “folded” around approx 1.5 inch tubular metal, likely aluminum. That tubing forms a rectangle, which gives structure to the hinge attachments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	775B0087-977B-42CA-87F0-B49A35C18C83.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	309032   Click image for larger version

Name:	947403EC-7BFC-4CAE-A419-478D5CD3FCA8.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	309033  

DavidH2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags