Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Basement fridges/freezers

The other post made me think about a basement fridge. I am not a fulltimer....yet, nor do I travel with a large family. I'm wondering do those folks really use that space? The Entegra factory residential fridge is enormous compared to my previous NotCold 1200 and we rarely fill the freezer but sometimes have the fridge maxed out.

1. What brand/model have you tried? (like/dislike/suggestions)
2. How often is it used?
3. What types of things do you put in it? Do you refrigerate or freeze more?
4. Do you regret the space it takes?
5. Do you run it on 110v or 12v more frequently?
6. Does it affect your batteries much?
7. What type of slideout do you recommend?
8. Is it worth $700-$1000+?
Attached Images

hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #2

The one that came in my coach I use it constantly at 34 degrees cools my beer wine water and lobster, etc I don't use it for a freezer at all saves me 15 or 20 trips a day in and out of the coach or more at least, until I can not walk anymore. then its the closest chair and nappy time
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We have the standard Entegra freezer and filled it for our 6-week trip last fall. When we cook at home we often make enough for several meals and package the extra for the MH. Using the fridge's freezer and the basement freezer we were able to minimize restaurants and trips to the grocery store as well as avoid commercially prepared food and serious cooking. We freeze food flat in gallon freezer bags which stack nicely in the coach and the basement.
2013 Thor Challenger 37GT (Traded)
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We absolutely use ours...seems like good butchers and meat markets are few and far between. When I find one that hamburger tastes like hamburger, I stock up on all beef cuts. I've also found some real interesting and good flavored bratz that I stock up on and they store well.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We ordered the 2002 DSDP with it, has almost never been off and is used as a freezer. Works well for us since we have a small refer and very little freezer space.
1. Dometic 100# unit.
2. It's on ALL the time, even in storage.
3. Freeze, food and ice cream
4. NO
5. It auto switches so if off grind then on 12 V if hooked up or the gen running then 120 V
6. Don't know, never turn it off.
7. Ours came from Newmar on a slide, not sure what brand they use.
8. YES
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks all for the inputs! Might look at Tampa RV show.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We love our Dometic and just use it to keep things cold. When we are going down the road it uses 50 watts AC on the inverter so no sweat with a power issue.
It's on a slideout tray and works slick. No cheap but works very well. The are all using the same compressor in these units and are reliable and make no noise at all. Shop around. They also come with a 12 volt cord....
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Here's a link to some previous threads that may give you some ideas.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Base...earch=irv2.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #9

Love ours and use it all the time. You might want to look at the ARB units. We have a medium size one that we take Jeeping. Uses very little power and works well.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #10

when you find your choice ask them to throw in a case of beer to sweeten up the deal. I prefer tecate myself no after taste like corona
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
We had the large pre-Dometic when they were made in Germany in the TS and used it all the time. When were were in Maine last year, lobsters were $12.00 for a bakers dozen, we brought four dozen home.
Indiana and other mid west states have beef that puts our swamp cows to shame and thick slab bacon that is to die for. We fill the freezer up before heading home. The cold beer... not having to keep going inside is worth the price of the freezer right there

My 12V side quit working just when Dometic bought them out so no parts available as Dometic changed the power supply.(for the better) It worked fine on 110 and we rarely had power to it when traveling and everything would still be frozen when we stopped for the night. When the 12V did work, there was no drain on the batteries, the alternator kept up with it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
We had the large pre-Dometic when they were made in Germany in the TS and used it all the time. When were were in Maine last year, lobsters were $12.00 for a bakers dozen, we brought four dozen home. Indiana and other mid west states have beef that puts our swamp cows to shame and thick slab bacon that is to die for. We fill the freezer up before heading home. The cold beer... not having to keep going inside is worth the price of the freezer right there My 12V side quit working just when Dometic bought them out so no parts available as Dometic changed the power supply.(for the better) It worked fine on 110 and we rarely had power to it when traveling and everything would still be frozen when we stopped for the night. When the 12V did work, there was no drain on the batteries, the alternator kept up with it.
Chuck, I need the lobster info. Looked at them the other day at Costco, $20/lb. if you have to many we can show you how to prepare and eat, if you need help.
Swenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swenster View Post
Chuck, I need the lobster info. Looked at them the other day at Costco, $20/lb. if you have to many we can show you how to prepare and eat, if you need help.
HA! They are long gone We found a local seafood market that was selling 1.5 lb culls, one claw smaller than the other, for $12. for 13 lobsters cooked. That just about paid for the freezer at $20. a pound here.

If you need to know where I got them, let me know and will see if I can look them up.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge