Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2022, 04:29 PM   #1

Batteries

Hello hive mind
I have a new to me 21 entegra emblem. I found out it has 2 6v AGM BCI gc2 batteries. Not sure why they went with 6v. It has room for 2 more so was wondering on suggestions for 2 more agms.

Thanks
Docdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2022, 05:10 PM   #2

Sure. Wire the two new batteries with a jumper from + to -, then wire the remaining + in parallel with the other battery pair's + and the same with the -.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 05:25 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Batteries

Different AGM batteries have different charge profiles, so much batter to stick to same brand if they are connected together.

If you decide to discard your present batteries, and go with 4 new ones, Lifeline AGM batteries are the best.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9935.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	363530
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docdcs View Post
Hello hive mind
I have a new to me 21 entegra emblem. I found out it has 2 6v AGM BCI gc2 batteries. Not sure why they went with 6v. It has room for 2 more so was wondering on suggestions for 2 more agms.

Thanks
The two 6 volt batteries give you the most Amp-Hours of storage (which is what you need) for the dollar.

Two 6 volt batteries in series = 12 volts.

The diagram below may help... look at the right hand column.
You will be switching from the top layout to the bottom layout.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery wiring diagrams.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	363533  
Old 04-24-2022, 06:22 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's not a good idea to mix new and old batteries. Buy 4 new batteries
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:26 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2021 is new enough that I'd entertain adding 2 batteries. This set would work well enough to get your money's worth, then you can decide what to get as a next set that are all the same.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
2021 is new enough that I'd entertain adding 2 batteries. This set would work well enough to get your money's worth, then you can decide what to get as a next set that are all the same.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I agree, IF (yes, large IF) the existing two batteries have not been abused (run and/or left discharged).

If they have, just get 4 new 6 VDC batteries and wire them in series/parallel.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:55 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I would get 4 new batteries so I am not facing the possibility of another failure in the near future. The reliability factor would mean more to me than the price of two batteries.

Some people would disagree. It's a personal decision and either way is okay if you are comfortable with it.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:44 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I would get 4 new batteries so I am not facing the possibility of another failure in the near future. The reliability factor would mean more to me than the price of two batteries.

Some people would disagree. It's a personal decision and either way is okay if you are comfortable with it.
I would have to agree with Marc with my experience with OEM installed batteries. They are of the lowest quality, have sat for long periods of time during manufacturing and dealer without being plugged in. The batteries are over a year old and will not be as strong as new batteries and will pull the new batteries down.
To do it right and have them last the longest time...all 4 batteries new with matching dates.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:26 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The magic number is if you can get half the life or more out of a blended pack vs buying a whole new set. This isn't a hard number to hit, as the old pair will see lighter cycling and will last longer than if they were left as the primary bank. So while a blended pack won't last as long as a matched set, you are usually money ahead to use a blended pack until it fails, then it would make sense to replace as a set.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries