Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 12:49 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Battery Post Protector Spray

Way back when I use to spray battery terminals with a red protectant spray when ever I installed a new battery in a car. Is that even necessary when I install my new AGM house batteries since they are not normally vented?

Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 02:31 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The lead post's and connectors will still oxidize regardless of battery chemistry composition. Exposure to oxygen causes the oxidation, battery chemistry may exacerbate the process. It definitely won't hurt to coat with a battery terminal spray. I just put a little grease on the connections to prevent the oxidation, but that attracts the dust.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I am old school and have been using a light coat of vasoline since I was a teenager working on cars. Still use it today.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:10 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
I agree that it certainly cannot hurt to clean and protect the terminals. CDC makes some cleaners and protectants and Amazon has 'em all. I bought some that I could use on all my vehicles since the can is pretty big. A little goes a long way.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Necessary? No. Helpful? Yes. You won't have the acidic vapors from the AGMs that would from flooded but there is still corrosion from the atmosphere. anything helps, even grease as long as you don't wash it off when you pressure wash the batteries.

As to pressure washing the batteries - you have to be careful with AGMs as to compared to flooded. AGMS do have ventilation valves to allow for heat expansion and contraction. If you blast away with a high pressure washer you can inject some water into the batteries. You don't want to do that.

But you do want to keep the battery tops clean. Any grit, dirt or moisture that settles on the top of the battery can form a weak circuit between the posts that will discharge your batteries over time. That's why most GM originally went to the side post batteries at the time. Keeping them clean is important. Big Mike at Spartan recommended spraying them with the original Windex with Ammonia D and wiping them off.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:08 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Well, finally got my old Discovery house batteries changed out for Lifelines. Couldn't find any date code on the old ones but they looked well worn. After sitting 24 hrs without a charger they were:
4@6.2v
1@5v
1@4v
2@2.9v

Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery