Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Battery Replacements Height Clearance Concern

I'm thinking of replacing my almost dead AGMs with Interstate GC2 batteries.
Has anyone replaced the AGMs with golf cart batteries, as the height on the upper battery shelf is very tight?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you thinking of going from a sealed battery to a wet battery? If so, and the fit is tight, will you be able to access to check/add water? If not a watering system us recommended.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #3

Why switch? The AGM's are far safer
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetranch View Post
I'm thinking of replacing my almost dead AGMs with Interstate GC2 batteries.
Has anyone replaced the AGMs with golf cart batteries, as the height on the upper battery shelf is very tight?
Your AGM's under normal usage should last you a lot more than three years. Possibly something else may be causing you battery problems? Unless you can recall a situation that may have damaged your batteries I would suggest a thorough check of your coaches battery charging and maintenance systems if you haven't already done so.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:48 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
There have been several 2014's that have had to replace batteries already, mine included. That winter had a long spell of 30 below temps that closed the plant several times as the roads were closed. The plant was the small one back then a it's my belief that several of the 14's were exposed to that cold sitting outside not plugged in.

Mine sat on the delivery lot for 3 weeks waiting for weather to clear before my coach could be delivered to FL. No question in my mind why my batteries didn't make it for a year.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Exactlly Chuck, we've equalized them and always had them pluged in when in our care. There was a time at the paint shop for warranty paint that they were supposed to keep it plugged in but can't be sure what happened there. At this point we cant make it throught the night on battery Wish I had come to this conclusion while under warranty they were already weak then but I thought I could refresh with equalizing appears not. I hate it to be about the dollar, but AGMs are over $300 each and GC3 at Costco approx. $85 each for similar amp hours. Yes, I will have to check and refill water and that is a pain for sure...
Biggest concern is the clearance the GC3 are almost an inch taller. Thought by now someone would have come to this issue, on their dollar. Just can't help but think of the many things we can do with the $2000 difference...
Old 12-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Doug,
My batteries were not holding a charge on our first trip. Entegra said the inverter/chargers were setup incorrectly by "who knows" and did an over the phone setup. It never helped. Thankfully the batteries totally quit on our way to our PDI. Any type of batteries will not take 30 below, not plugged in for any amount of time like they had in the winter of 13/14 in Middlebury.

I know the AGM's are expensive, but the benefits almost out weigh the costs. No matter what I did, I could only get 3 years out of golf cart batteries with our heat in FL. If the AGM's last longer like they are suppose to, that would cut the price in 1/2.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Why switch? The AGM's are far safer

safer?? LOL at that ideal ;; in what way?
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Chuck, cold weather in itself does no harm to the batteries. Given identical treatment, they will last longer in cold temperatures than in hot temperatures. The problem with your batteries sounds like it was that they were allowed to discharge for weeks without charging, not the cold weather.

To me the AGM batteries are well worth the premium. I have had premature failures with flooded batteries followed by more than twice the life using AGM's. The ease of maintenance and squeaky clean battery compartment was a bonus. But I cannot understand Entegra's instruction to equalize AGM's. To me that is just wrong, and nearly every AGM manufacturer says so. I think the equalizing may have contributed to the failure of the OP's batteries.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetranch View Post
Exactlly Chuck, we've equalized them and always had them pluged in when in our care. There was a time at the paint shop for warranty paint that they were supposed to keep it plugged in but can't be sure what happened there. At this point we cant make it throught the night on battery Wish I had come to this conclusion while under warranty they were already weak then but I thought I could refresh with equalizing appears not. I hate it to be about the dollar, but AGMs are over $300 each and GC3 at Costco approx. $85 each for similar amp hours. Yes, I will have to check and refill water and that is a pain for sure...
Biggest concern is the clearance the GC3 are almost an inch taller. Thought by now someone would have come to this issue, on their dollar. Just can't help but think of the many things we can do with the $2000 difference...
Doug,

I feel your pain, $300 each vs. $85 is a big difference when it is our dollar. If you do not mind the watering and the cleaning there is nothing wrong with putting flooded batteries back in. The Discover AGM's are sapposedly 10.8" tall so careful measurements would need to be taken to see if the new Interstates would fit. While most flooded batteries can't take the higher charge rate that AGM's can you can buy a lot of generator run time for $2000.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Chuck, cold weather in itself does no harm to the batteries. Given identical treatment, they will last longer in cold temperatures than in hot temperatures. The problem with your batteries sounds like it was that they were allowed to discharge for weeks without charging, not the cold weather.

To me the AGM batteries are well worth the premium. I have had premature failures with flooded batteries followed by more than twice the life using AGM's. The ease of maintenance and squeaky clean battery compartment was a bonus. But I cannot understand Entegra's instruction to equalize AGM's. To me that is just wrong, and nearly every AGM manufacturer says so. I think the equalizing may have contributed to the failure of the OP's batteries.
Marc,

I can't understand it either. While the batteries very well may have been abused prior to OP's getting the coach I do not think the equalizing helped.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #12

Quote:
I feel your pain, $300 each vs. $85 is a big difference when it is our dollar. If you do not mind the watering and the cleaning there is nothing wrong with putting flooded batteries back in. The Discover AGM's are sapposedly 10.8" tall so careful measurements would need to be taken to see if the new Interstates would fit. While most flooded batteries can't take the higher charge rate that AGM's can you can buy a lot of generator run time for $2000.
where can anyone buy uc2200 series 6 volt GC batterys for 85$
u can buy a cheapo Costco 6 volt for 85$
the high amp us battery 2200 series are usually in the 150$ range

also to note lifeline agm can be equalized
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
safer?? LOL at that ideal ;; in what way?
In the event of a rupture, they don't spew acid everywhere
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
where can anyone buy uc2200 series 6 volt GC batterys for 85$
u can buy a cheapo Costco 6 volt for 85$
the high amp us battery 2200 series are usually in the 150$ range

also to note lifeline agm can be equalized
Lifeline calls it " Conditioning " and only done when capacity has noticeably dropped, not as a routine.

I like my cheapo Sam's Club batteries. Run them from 80% down to 60% every day for 6 months. Last 4 or 5 years and swap them out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, battery, replace, replacement