RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #1

Battery Suggestions

Itís about time to replace my house batteries and with all the brands available it can be somewhat difficult to chose. Not interested in Lithium and want AGMís again. Something of quality and longevity. Any input on what others have replaced with and are satisfied is appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 10:59 AM   #2

A late model Entegra with 4 L16 AGM's?

Lifeline is the class of the field.
But at $700 each...
Lithium is only $200 per battery more.

I be been delaying this decision myself. $3200 plus tax and shipping and do it again in 5 years?

Or $4000 free shipping and never do it again?

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #3

I have 8, 6 Volt AGM’s.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
Just replace all 8 house batteries in my 2014 Anthem with Lifeline GPL-4CT. Got them from Battery Guys on line. Paid $2,583 including delivery to my home. Best price I could find with home delivery, as most want to charge a delivery fee if not at a commercial address. Super fast shipping. Highly recommend the batteries and Battery Guys.
JJT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post

But at $700 each...

I be been delaying this decision myself. $3200 plus tax and shipping and do it again in 5 years?

The $200 more for lithium is for 1, 100 AH battery.

A pair of L16s is 400 AH.

Big difference in cost per AH.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #6

There is a battery manufacturer in Pennsylvania (maybe Penn or West Penn Battery) (Larry says "East Penn, and he is usually right) who markets their batteries under a number of different brand names, some of them common, and are made here in the States. Batteries from that manufacturer have generally better reputations than those that arrive from Asia. Someone will come in here and give you the brand names that are common.

Don't let anyone try to talk you into Lithium yet. 575Driver can tell you some of the problems that Lithium presents. I know that as of about a year ago, there was not a commonly available battery charger that was really set up to properly charge Lithium batteries. Not sure of the current state of technology. There is a reason that they are not standard OEM on new coaches.... IMO

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post

But at $700 each...

As I recall, a 2015 Anthem will have eight GC2 house batteries, not four L16’s, with the batteries mounted four & four in two sliding trays in the first basement storage compartment behind the driver’s side front wheel & tire.

Regarding deep-cycle AGM batteries, Lifeline is indeed the class of the field and I’m a big fan of their products. Another plus for Lifeline is that all their batteries are made at their plant in southern California. If you have questions, you can call and a real person with real knowledge & experience will answer the phone.

For somewhat less money, U.S. Battery and East Penn Manufacturing Company both make good quality deep-cycle AGM batteries. Like Lifeline, both of those companies are based in and manufacture all their products in the USA. East Penn uses the Deka brand name for their AGM batteries, but the same batteries are available at Battteries Plus stores and elsewhere under the Duracell brand name, and at NAPA under their own brand name.

Trojan also offers deep-cycle AGM batteries. Some Trojan batteries are made in the USA, others are made in Mexico. Not implying that’s all bad, but I would personally opt for batteries made in the USA.

You can also find numerous other brands of deep-cycle AGM batteries, most of which are made in China. They work, but don’t last as long in my limited personal experience.

I’ve installed more than a few sets of Lifeline batteries over the past 12 years or so, in our various motorhomes and in motorhomes and trailers owned by friends and acquaintances. They are never the low-cost option, but if you shop around you’ll find a rather wide range of pricing.

A good website to benchmark Lifeline prices is Powerstride Battery – www.powerstridebattery.com. It’s possible to beat their pricing, but usually not by a lot. They’re currently showing Lifeline GPL-4CT’s for $333.92 with free shipping, or $327.99 in quantities of five to eight.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #8

Must have increased the price. Now they are $2719.00. I appreciate the recommendation and will check them out. Looks like 5 year warranty is the norm.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
Must have increased the price. Now they are $2719.00. I appreciate the recommendation and will check them out. Looks like 5 year warranty is the norm.
Not sure if youíre referring to Battery Guys as recommended by Jim or to Powerstride Battery.

But in any case, here is a link to the Lifeline GPL-4CTís on the Powerstride web site:

https://www.powerstridebattery.com/l...le-agm-battery

As youíll see, a quantity of five to eight is priced at $327.99 per battery with free shipping, so eight of them would set you back $2,624.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #10
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Send Battery Guys an email on best delivered price for 8. They will beat their own on line advertised price by a couple of hundred dollars for multiple batteries.
JJT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Itís about time to replace my house batteries and with all the brands available it can be somewhat difficult to chose. Not interested in Lithium and want AGMís again. Something of quality and longevity. Any input on what others have replaced with and are satisfied is appreciated.
As others have mentioned Lifeline is a good choice and can take a high rate of charge as compared to some other AGM batteries.

What ever you end up with send me a PM and I can get you set up with the proper Magnum charger settings.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #12

Will do. Thanks
Old 09-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
There is a battery manufacturer in Pennsylvania (maybe Penn or West Penn Battery) (Larry says "East Penn, and he is usually right) who markets their batteries under a number of different brand names, some of them common, and are made here in the States. Batteries from that manufacturer have generally better reputations than those that arrive from Asia. Someone will come in here and give you the brand names that are common.

Don't let anyone try to talk you into Lithium yet. 575Driver can tell you some of the problems that Lithium presents. I know that as of about a year ago, there was not a commonly available battery charger that was really set up to properly charge Lithium batteries. Not sure of the current state of technology. There is a reason that they are not standard OEM on new coaches.... IMO

Gary
East Penn makes Duracell carried by Sam's Club. Good battys and hard to beat the price. I have 8 GC2s in MH and 3 8Ds in boat (but plan to replace thosecw GP31 AGMs when needed)

AGM 6V GC2 run about $180 /ea.
Also consider 12V AGM GP 31 about the same price and AH and if one goes bad EZ to just take it out of the bank vs having to remove a pair w 6V.
AGMs have the same deep cycle & start performance as unlike FLA AGMs have the same plate design. Duracell AGM all spec CCA as well as AH.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:30 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Gary

Lithium batteries are the best. We put in 4 300 amp hour LiFeBlue batteries then had to change out the magnum remote inside the coach to one that will manage solar. Then we just put the correct settings and and all is great.

They charge within 1.5 hours on generator when they are 40% SOC.

Since we have 2400 watts of solar that manages the charge for us but we have let it get to 40% SOC just to test the time of charge.

A friend with a 2018 Aspire added 2 of the 300 amp hour LiFeBlue batteries and swears by them. He is adding a third one in November once he gets back to Quartzsite with me.

These batteries go 5,000 cycles before they drop to 80% usage. That will never happen in my lifetime

Tags
battery