Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 05:54 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Batwing tv antenna vs. Razar

On my prior coach I had one of those TV antennas that has a head that you rotate manually to the strongest signal direction. Made by Winegard, I think they called it “super Jack” or something. Seemed to work ok until I parked next to my friends CS which still had the old batwing antenna. He got a much better TV reception than I did.

On my Aspire, I have the batwing. I purchased a Razar dome, which would automatically find the best signal direction. I figured the new fangled all electronic self finding self tuning antenna would work at least as well as the old batwing.

Now I have been seeing posts about poor performance of the Razar dome. So before I pull down the old, and install the new, I thought I would check here if anyone had done this and did the Razar dome perform as well as the old bat wing? I’d really hate to replace it only to find it didn’t work as well...
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 06:03 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just replaced our batwing this week with another batwing.

I did a lot of research here about putting a razor in. The idea of not having to raise and lower the batwing and possible forgetting to put it down then driving away and finding out we now need to replace it was appealing.

What I read was that the razor is at the same height of the appliances on the roof and it can interfere with reception. Several people stated it effected their reception and some went back to a batwing.

Can't answer the question about performance, this was just the reason we decided to stay with the batwing. Good luck with making your decision.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:15 AM   #3

Had the batwing on our Aspire and never had any reception issues. With the rayzr automatic on our Anthem now, we continually experience poor reception and are on our 3rd one now due to motor failure. All replaced while under warranty but if (when) this one goes out something else will replace it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #4

I have a Razor in my coach. The first one had a failure and was replaced by Winegard at N/C even though it was out of warranty. to Winegard CS. The new one works great. After I do a search and it finds all the channels I can fine tune if necessary to dial in on one channel if it is required. I never had a Batwing so I can not tell you if it's reception is better or not, but I like the push button convenience of auto search and not having to manually raise and lower and search.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've had numerous antennae over the years in our coaches. The King Jack didn't pick up as well as the Batwing. The Winegard RS2000 omni-directional was terrible for signal strength. This coach came with the Rayzar automatic. I find it to be equal in signal strength than our older Winegard Batwing and I appreciate not having to worry about raising or lowering or even aiming it. The unit is mounted on the roof very close to the large Girard awning and front A/C unit so I thought that would shield the signal but I'm pleasantly surprised that the signal is nice and strong. To me, this is the best antenna yet.

Mine is trouble-free but I have to admit that the Rayzar Automatic has a spotty reputation. Some people have had multiple problems and have had to replace their units while some have no issues. It seems about 50/50 and I'm fortunate to be on the reliable half of the equation.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna