Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2020, 07:30 AM   #1

Black tank overfill

If you are flushing your black tank and let it go to long where does it come out? Asking for a friend.....
Thanks
Van Sayler
2017 Anthem 44b
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #2

Van-

Usually out the roof vent for the black tank.

If you are not thinking, and open the toilet flush valve, it will geyser out, covering the bathroom ceiling, walls, cabinets and floor. Never open the valve with pressure in the tank.

I feel badly for any friend to which this overflow happens.

I know better, and even then barely missed a black tank vent overflow earlier this year. I estimate a couple gallons more would have done it.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Hate to hear it if it happened. This is definitely one task you cannot get distracted while doing.

Set a timer on your phone, watch, microwave or whatever, and don't wait for 100% to show on the tank gauge. I know my tank will need attention at about 15 minutes when filled from empty with my current water gauge and pressure.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsayler View Post
If you are flushing your black tank and let it go to long where does it come out? Asking for a friend.....
Thanks
Van Sayler
2017 Anthem 44b
It comes out the waste gate and into the sewer hose.

It’s not an Entegra.

Procedure is to open the waste gate, connect a hose to the black tank flush system, open the valve on the hose bibb. The jets wash out the tank. Five minutes or five hours, doesn’t matter.

What type of system does your friend have?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
For a video presentation, watch the movie RV with Robin Williams, it's there.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #6

Well Van, if your lucky, it comes out the black tank vent on the roof. If the toilet seal breaks, your in for a whole world of hurt.

Long time ago I witnessed this happen. Motorhomer three or four sites down got distracted and water spilled onto and over the roof and down the sides of his coach. Fortunately, according to him, it was the second or third flush he was on. It was an eye opener for me even tho I never walk away while flushing....
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:40 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Air vent on the roof.

Don't ask me how I know !
Old 06-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #8

In the 44B it will come up through the mid-bathroom sink. And yes I did it. I was trying to fill the black tank with water using the tank flush and as usual I got distracted and...... Fortunately it was fairly clear water.

I all of this brings up the question why is there not an audible alarm function on the tank monitors?
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #9

I have always washed out my black tank as the last step before disconnecting the sewer hose and as long as the black tank valve is open it cannot flood unless the water pressure exceeds the drain flow.

If you close the black tank valve then once you exceed the tank capacity the water will find a way out even if that means rupturing your tank.
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
In the 44B it will come up through the mid-bathroom sink. And yes I did it. I was trying to fill the black tank with water using the tank flush and as usual I got distracted and...... Fortunately it was fairly clear water.

I all of this brings up the question why is there not an audible alarm function on the tank monitors?
There is, as far as I know, it was introduced in 2017 when Entegra started using the Vegatouch system. Outside of this I never had any type of audible alarm.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
For a video presentation, watch the movie RV with Robin Williams, it's there.
lol
I've seen that great answer
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
There is, as far as I know, it was introduced in 2017 when Entegra started using the Vegatouch system. Outside of this I never had any type of audible alarm.

yes too full and water below 25%
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
... all of this brings up the question why is there not an audible alarm function on the tank monitors?

The tank "monitor" systems in most coaches aren't really capable of "real time" monitoring. The typical probe type monitoring systems don't monitor anything until you push the button to check the tank. These systems have about $1 worth of electronics in them, if you're buying parts at retail. When you push the button to read the tank level, it puts 12 volts on the line going to the tank sensors. The probes along with some resistors form a voltage divider network and the water coming into contact with the probes changes the resistance of the network. The voltage is measured as point in this series of resistors and that is what indicates the level of liquid in the tank.

This method is very cheap to implement, but constant use would have to lead to issues with electrolysis. Not a big problem when you push the button for a few seconds every now and then, but for automated readings likely would be an issue sooner than later.

There are systems that support alarms. Systems like the SEELEVEL which use capacitance by applying a strip with two conductors to the outside of the tank and measuring the capacitance between the strips have several advantages. Since they don't actually come in contact with the liquid in the tank and they don't use voltage passed through the liquid, they aren't subject to electrolysis and they don't get "gummed up" with "stuff" from the tank. They also allow reading the actual level in the tank on a linear scale instead of sensing 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and "full". At least some of the SEELevel systems do support alarms.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:47 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsayler View Post
Thanks
Van Sayler
2017 Anthem 44b
Van:

I am sorry this happened to your friend. I know that it would never happen to you because you would have to wash and shine you coach again...and again...and again....Unfortunately something similar happened to a friend of mine. His wife was not happy.
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank