Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #1

Blinker Trouble

I am a light guy so I added 2 more led running lights on the side of the coach. I then tied them into the front blinker circuit so when someone is next to me and I turn on my blinker they all flash. They all blink great and they all light up when the running lights are on. Problem is when running lights are on they wont blink they just stay lit. I am pretty good with electrical stuff. I know it is a problem with the flasher. Where I am stumped is the leds added very little current to the circuit. I am surprised the flasher even notices them there. I would think by adding more current the flasher should flash faster not just stop flashing. What am I missing? Anyone know where the flasher is located?
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #2

I agree you shouldn't have a problem. I installed mine and they worked fine. The one thing I know about led you have to have them all hooked up the same way in the line.

Call spartan on the flasher issue.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #3

You may need a diode added on the return side from radio shack 1 buck for 3 or 4 of them, as the current is bouncing back since the leds draw little or nill power.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
YC1

Not clear on you issue. Sounds like a contradiction.

How many wires are there for the new lights?

If two, one should be grounded and the other should tap the hot wire to the blinker bulb. If you only have two wires you have managed to connect between running lights and blinker lights and making an odd circuit.
Are they blinking opposite of your normal blinkers. That is, when your normal blinker is on the leds are off and vice versa?

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I'm thinking the same thing. Are they dual element lights, meaning two separate led lights in each fixture? It could be they share a ground and are not happy using a shared ground. LEDs are finicky. Polarity is also a big player.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty56 View Post
I agree you shouldn't have a problem. I installed mine and they worked fine. The one thing I know about led you have to have them all hooked up the same way in the line.

Call spartan on the flasher issue.
Where did you tie yours in at? I tied in at the front running light/blinker. One thing that came to mind is I am grounded to the rear lights. Wondering if I should be grounded up front at the running light/blinker circuit.

The blinkers all work great. The running light work as well but they wont work together.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #7

They use 2 different amounts of current not even nearly the same the diode will make the current look the same.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyreno View Post
They use 2 different amounts of current not even nearly the same the diode will make the current look the same.
I would think if it was a resistance/current situation they would not blink or the running lights would not work. That all works great they just wont work together.

They are dual input lights. I had then hooked up to the tail lights and rear blinkers. Everything worked that way but when I stepped on the brake the rear light sent a signal to the running lights because the stop and turn rear light is the same. If I tie in to the rear blinker I get the brake light as well which I dont want.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #9

I can tell you from experience when you try to get them to do something together is when they wont cooperate since the led are bouncing back like a ping pong ball.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #10

I just went out and moved the ground from the tail lights to the front blinker/running light so that its all in the same circuit. That seemed to do the trick. I will need to clean it all up in the am but I think the mystery has been solved. Thanks everyone for your replies. This forum is awesome.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #11

glad you got it. good quality leds then
Old 06-25-2014, 06:33 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
I just went out and moved the ground from the tail lights to the front blinker/running light so that its all in the same circuit. That seemed to do the trick. I will need to clean it all up in the am but I think the mystery has been solved. Thanks everyone for your replies. This forum is awesome.
How about a photo of the finished project? I would be interested in adding a side flashing marker for the guy that likes to hang just below your mirror.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
How about a photo of the finished project? I would be interested in adding a side flashing marker for the guy that likes to hang just below your mirror.

I will get on posted later today hopefully
Old 06-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #14

I knew something was giving the wrong message a diode would have done it too. if it returns you might try it. The led not is using a lot of juice so things get weird. at least it did on my project.