Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2022, 05:36 PM   #1

Block heater

Heading out in the morning , it will be 30 to 32 degree should I turn the block heater on tonight or is 30 to 32 no need to worry ?
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2022, 05:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECVB View Post
Heading out in the morning , it will be 30 to 32 degree should I turn the block heater on tonight or is 30 to 32 no need to worry ?
I’d turn it on. What does it hurt? Just be sure to unplug.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:03 PM   #3

However, IMO, you don't need to worry about those sorts of temps. I personally would not worry until the temperature is substantially below that level. This Cummins cranks very easily at those temps.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:30 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I've cranked mine off at 29° with no problem. Might take an extra spin or two to get going but no problem.
Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:36 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That was the subject of some discussion at my Spartan Academy in June '18. IIRC, the definitive answer was vague. Big Mike didn't seem interested in designating a specific temperature.

My take away from the discussion was that I'd use some sort of engine heat overnight if it was going to be at or below freezing. My '18 Anthem has the capability to use the AquaHot to provide engine heat and that's my usual choice because it's easy to do. If you don't have that available, I'd plug in the block heater.

Like Gary, I really doubt that you'd have any difficulty starting at those temps regardless of block heat use. However, and that's the key in my decision to use heat, any warmth put into the block before starting is likely to improve lubrication during the first few seconds of engine run. Why not take advantage of that benefit?

Of course, that's all my opinion which I value as highly as others value theirs.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-12-2022, 07:57 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As with many engines, the worst wear is on startup. Colder oil does not move and lubricate as quickly as warm oil. The harder and longer the cranking, the greater stress on battery. So yes, it will start at 30 if your battery is in good shape, but why not reduce the stress and warm it up? Especially easy if you have the 450D and just need to turn on engine heat loop.
Go ahead and try a test. At 40 deg or less, check how many cranks to start without pre-heat then with pre-heat. I have found much smoother start with engine temp 90+.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:12 AM   #7

My Cummins starts almost immediately, within a rotation. And engine heat does NOT avoid engine wear.... anytime you start the engine you probably have am infinitesimally more wear and OK, maybe an infinitesimally larger amount of wear in very cold conditions. I'm just saying, its not needed in the 30s. The engine will crank just fine even with older batteries.

At zero or in the teens, I'll turn on the heat, but my whole intention is to never find myself in those temps.... If you do, then have at it. The issue is if its necessary. I've never read any data on this issue. Is there any?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:20 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have started my 600 and 605 with no issues in the 20’s. Surprisingly I can not tell a difference in how long the start takes from 25 degrees compared to 70.

I rarely have started when it is colder than that. But when I have needed to I use the Aqua Hot block heater. I have never used the plug in heater in the engine compartment.

It was 21 when I woke up in Nashville today though so you never know.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECVB View Post

Yes, turn it on, but ONLY about 2 hours before starting the engine. No need to run it overnight.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:52 AM   #10

Aquahot preheat is much easier to use and seems to heat it up fairly fast

Tags
heat, heater