Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2021, 08:11 AM   #15

This may just be my values..... but if I have to carefully inspect my tow bar for indications of problems and failures each time I connect the Honda or even once a month then I have bought the wrong product and I need to get rid of it fast.

I'm not an engineer, but anyone can figure out that a tow bar made out of 100% quality steel and then over-engineered at that and rated for much more towing capacity than the car you are going to tow, versus a light duty tow bar made out of aluminum that just meets the minimum towing capacity is not going to last very long and is not a good purchase decision. Why is weight an issue (the only advantage of aluminum over steel I can think of).... 99.8% of the time, my tow bar remains connected to the coach. I don't have to lug it around. Put a waterproof bag over it when not in use and let it sit where it belongs! I have watched owners try to back up with their connected toads and see the steering tires quickly get out of line stressing the bar, and another guy that tried to slide the front of his toad sideways so he could back up and away from a fuel pump, so I know that a weak bar coupled with a driver that is stressing the system to-the-max is a formula for trouble.

I bought strong and I don't back up or turn sharply at low or stopped speeds with the Honda behind me.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I bought strong and I don't back up or turn sharply at low or stopped speeds with the Honda behind me.

Gary
Can you say, without a question of a doubt, you have never made a tight turn pulling into a pull thru site in an RV park? Never made a tight turn trying to get through a Walmart parking lot? I sure have. Has someone been at the back watching every single turn that has ever been made with the toad?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Can you say, without a question of a doubt, you have never made a tight turn pulling into a pull thru site in an RV park? Never made a tight turn trying to get through a Walmart parking lot? I sure have. Has someone been at the back watching every single turn that has ever been made with the toad?
Should have been "toad connected" It is for these reasons tow bars need service and inspections. If not they can break, like mine did.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #18

What was the tow capacity on the bars that are failing. I have about 50,000 miles on my 10,000 lbs blue ox and it looks fine. Then again, I am only towing a Rubicon which is very little weight. Planning on put new bushings in in a few months.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:14 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
What was the tow capacity on the bars that are failing. I have about 50,000 miles on my 10,000 lbs blue ox and it looks fine. Then again, I am only towing a Rubicon which is very little weight. Planning on put new bushings in in a few months.
Better weigh the Jeep. They usually go 5,000 to 5,500 stock.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:31 PM   #20

Ha, I know what it weights, the tow bar is way over rated for the jeep. Just trying to find out which bars have been the issue. Thanks
Old 04-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #21

I'm glad Blue Ox has stepped up to the plate and helped the OP. Any good company knows they have to take care of their current customers.

Just as the OP said, he didn't know there was trade-in value for his old tow bar, I guess i was ignorant to the requirement of sending the equipment back to the manufacturer every 2 years.

As RVers, we sure put a lot of faith in these tow bars, yet they seem somewhat fragile with the questions asked. Have you ever backed up? turn sharp? did you spend $150 every 2 years renewing your bar?

Really BO should just lease these bars to the RVers for $75 per year (or $150 for 2 years). It would be a lot simpler.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:59 PM   #22

Chuck

What I mean by a tight turn I think is different. The turning radius of the coach is far greater than the turning radius of the Honda so I don't think that we can call any turn that is made by the coach too tight for the Honda.

What I mean, and may not be explaining it well, is that I have seen guys turn the steering wheel hard right or left (to make it easier to understand, let say to "lock") while not moving (lets say to get away from a pump or object) and then begin to move. That puts tremendous pressure on the tow bar as the toad is not even rolling yet or just beginning to roll at very slow speed. What I am tryin to avoid is any tight turn where I am not rolling along at a reasonable rate before starting the turn, making forward progress, as when moving forward lets the steering gear of the Honda respond to the lateral turn forces on the bar and baseplate. That's as good as I can do verbally.

I've certainly made 90 degree turns in Walmart parking lots but I always try to be making them "as wide as I can" and always while steadily moving forward.

And Dave, no, I never back up with Honda connected.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #23

Same here look the OP..... Nothing but positives!

I also commented on the other thread.

I just sent my Avail tow bar back 3 weeks ago and got it back after 9 days. Ive been using their products for over a decade with zero problems.
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
Same here look the OP..... Nothing but positives!

I also commented on the other thread.

I just sent my Avail tow bar back 3 weeks ago and got it back after 9 days. Ive been using their products for over a decade with zero problems.

I'm glad this thread was started because not everything is negative. A lot of RVers use the BO product without any problems at all. However they should also be aware of potential problems at the time of purchase and understand the true cost of owning the product.

As a business owner myself, I'm envious of the "subscription" model that BO has set up and people seem to accept it with a smile.

In business a subscription cost is a fee to use a product. In the computer world I believe it was Microsoft who started it and now a company like mine, no longer buys a software package they just buy a term to use the software for each computer and it's automatically updated. They started this because businesses like mine would only update the software every 3 years, or whenever we bought new printers. Microsoft made sure the new printer software didn't work with the old operating systems. Businesses soon learned that the company selling the subscriptions can raise the prices any time that they feel it was needed and the payments went on forever. A business no longer has to spend 3-4 thousand dollars per computer to get started, however much more is paid over a period of time and the subscription company is guaranteed a large profit each year.

In my opinion Blue Ox, as well as any other tow bar provider should be up front and honest when selling their product. BO has started down the road of subscription. Their ads should read " $775 for tow bar that expires every 2 years. You can renew said bar for the low price of $150 every 2 years. However every 4th renew will cost $775 for a new unit".

Why build a better product when you can squeeze your customer every 2 years for $150 to rework what you should have built better to begin with? 1000 tow bars equals $150,000 per 2 years and I'm sure they have sold more than that. If one person on a bench can do 20 per day, that's 100 per week, 5200 per year......not a bad gig
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, that's the point, unless someone is watching every tight turn made with the motor home with the toad in tow, it is impossible to say if the tow bar has ever been but into a stress point situation. I have had to go up to the front lane to get out of a Walmart and that is a tight turn. You have mentioned the stations you use to fuel at, guaranteed those were tight turns.

If others think tow bars are bullet proof, they are not. The OP sent his in and it was loose......it happens.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:11 PM   #26

I don't back up and I don't abuse the tow bar. My blue ox was 5 years old about a year and a half ago and I thought I would get a washer kit so I took it apart. It only had about 30,000 miles on it but I found the two bolts worn and the horizontal one was just slightly bent. It costs about $35 to put it back good again. Blue Ox was good to me on the phone and it I see stress cracks I will get a new one from them next time I check mine. Even if you think yours is fine, it may be time to check it over close.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
My Aventa just turned 10. I have over 40k miles on it, I had it rebuilt at Quartzite a couple years ago but I will take a look at it after reading this thread!
Old 04-05-2021, 07:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
This may just be my values..... but if I have to carefully inspect my tow bar for indications of problems and failures each time I connect the Honda or even once a month then I have bought the wrong product and I need to get rid of it fast.

I'm not an engineer, but anyone can figure out that a tow bar made out of 100% quality steel and then over-engineered at that and rated for much more towing capacity than the car you are going to tow, versus a light duty tow bar made out of aluminum that just meets the minimum towing capacity is not going to last very long and is not a good purchase decision. Why is weight an issue (the only advantage of aluminum over steel I can think of).... 99.8% of the time, my tow bar remains connected to the coach. I don't have to lug it around. Put a waterproof bag over it when not in use and let it sit where it belongs! I have watched owners try to back up with their connected toads and see the steering tires quickly get out of line stressing the bar, and another guy that tried to slide the front of his toad sideways so he could back up and away from a fuel pump, so I know that a weak bar coupled with a driver that is stressing the system to-the-max is a formula for trouble. saying.

Gary
I check everything everytime I move.....to think you shouldn't have to check your basics and your toad prior to departure is asking for issues. But sue someone if it fails...hence high insurance.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox