Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #1

Blue Ox Toad Wiring Kit - 2014 Aspire 42RBQ Question

Hello,

I just put on the baseplates on my truck and was getting ready to run the wiring kit and noticed the Aspire has the dreaded amber turn signals. Has anyone installed the wiring kit from blue ox and have a solution for the amber turn signals? Thanks a bunch!!!!
rcarriere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #2

Have not done the BLue Ox kit lately but believe camping World/others have the little black box that you install on the coach to separate out the left, right and brake...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I'm sure I'm missing something, but our Aspire is prewired for towed vehicle light hookups. I am in the process of wiring the Jeep and just checked the plug at the rear of the coach. There are separate wires for left, right, and lights. Why does the color of the turn signals matter?
Jersimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersimon View Post
I'm sure I'm missing something, but our Aspire is prewired for towed vehicle light hookups. I am in the process of wiring the Jeep and just checked the plug at the rear of the coach. There are separate wires for left, right, and lights. Why does the color of the turn signals matter?
It doesn't, as long as you are using the prewired plug.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #5

In reading through the BlueOx wiring instructions it clearly states that if you have amber lights for your turn lights on the RV and separate red lights for brake and and running lights then a converter is required.

Does the Aspire already have this converter installed for towed vehicles?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I would guess that Blue ox is referring to if you wired it from the lights. You can wire off the 7way trailer plug. The wiring diagram for the plug is in your Entegra owners manual. If your towed vehicle has separate turn signals(Amber lights) then you will need a converter there. I don't think your pickup does so you should be fine. I am assuming that whatever you are installing has diodes to prevent feedback to the towed vehicle.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Russell, I have the Blue OX set up and just use the cord with the 7 wire round plug, that goes into the MH, on one end, and the round 6 wire plug on the toad end. Never had any problems.

Dave
Old 10-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Just plug it in, it'll work. Mine did.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarriere View Post
Hello,

I just put on the baseplates on my truck and was getting ready to run the wiring kit and noticed the Aspire has the dreaded amber turn signals. Has anyone installed the wiring kit from blue ox and have a solution for the amber turn signals? Thanks a bunch!!!!
I love the "dreaded" amber turn signal lights. I did see an Aspire just like mine with all red tail lights and it was a 2014. I wonder what the difference in mfg dates are.

When he hit his brakes, all six tail lights came on, which was really bright. I like both, either all red and amber/red combo.

I know the Entrgra is pre-wired for trailer brakes but I have no knowledge of connecting your braking system. Maybe a call to CS. Good luck and post up what you find.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I think the Spartan wiring has a taillight converter in the harness. I previously had an Aspire and now a Anthem. I wired my toad connection the same on both. On both models I used the flat 4 wire plug and wired into my toad. I had to install a diode on the left and right turn/stop wires of the toad just aft of the RV. This way when the toad brakes come on they do not feedback into the RV and cause the RV brake or turn lights to light up.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:50 AM   #11

Finally got the wire harness wired up and everything is working as it should. Now just need to come up with another plan for the braking on the Chevy truck as I just learned that you have to discounnect the battery when it is a toad. I have been using Patriot Braking System with my prior jeeps with no issues. I guess I will buy a battery and just stick it on the passenger floor; probably the easiest way to go.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:31 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Russell, I switch to a Ready Brake for one of the reasons you described. I bought the complete tow bar, but if your tow bar is in good shape, you can add just the brake It works off a cable from the tow bar to your brake peddle. No batteries or pumps to worry about. It is one of those "so simple" things that you say why didn't I think of that. Easy to install, just run a cable to your brake peddle....done.
ReadyBrake Supplemental Brake System for Towed Vehicles - NSA RV Products
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I'm not sure you have to pull that fuse. We tow a Silverado - and never disconnect the battery. Ours is a a 2007 and that is what the manual says. Also the Dinghy Guide from MH Magazine says there is nothing to do on the truck for towing.

It's a 4WD so that may make a difference. All we have to do is put the transmission in neutral and the truck in Park, remove the keys (If we want to) and go. It's also good to release the brake based on what we saw in Florida one morning.

I'm kind of current on this issue since we're going to start pulling our Enclave and that will require removing at least one fuse so I've been doing some research.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #14

The 2014 Chevy1500 4wd states that the negative cable must be removed from the battery or the warranty will be void if any damage occurs while towing the vehicle. I have to admit, this was a bit of a surprise but it is what it is. The battery on the passenger floor is the quickest, easiest, and cheapest solution so this is what I will do.

Tags
blue ox, toad, wiring