Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Pat & Emerson! I think we will go the AF1 route.
Whitewater18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #30

I am on the third MH with the ReadyBrake and I like it. Pretty simple. I too have the break away, but attached to the brake pedal. Simplest way to hook it up.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Everyone has a favorite for brake systems, most are good and I have used a few. We broke a tow bar last year and I replaced it with a ReadyBrute with the brake system built in. I am impressed how well it worked and how simple it is. No electric to run the batter down, no pumps (I had one fail before) just a simple cable from the tow bar to the brake peddle. I am impressed.
ReadyBrute will not work on all vehicles. Getting the cable in and around the engine compartment on our Pilot was impossible. ReadyBrute refunded the cost minus return shipping. Went with AirForce One. Great unit.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #32

Breah away system

I have the SMI Air Force One on my DP coach. It works great. The system has a small red indicator light installed on the dash. It is wired all the back to the toad break light wiring and only lights up when the toad braks are actually engaged by the SMI system. The only warning that I was given from the installer was if I noticed that the dash light came on without pressing the coach brake petal then to get off of the road fast and stop. What this would mean is that the brakes were being applied to the toad by the break away system. If the toad was still attached then somehow the brake away cable had been pulled, maybe from being tangled up with the tow bar or other cables. If that were to happen with any break away system I don't think you could get off of the road fast enough to prevent severe damage to the toad brakes, tires and other parts from being dragged down the road at highway speed. I have never heard of this happening but was wondering what your thoughts would be on this.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Air Force One! A lot easier then brake buddy. Had brake buddy in other coach. Prefer Air Force One.
14 Cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #34

Air Force one for me also, I installed it on my aspire and was so happy I installed another one on my new coach, nothing to move and store. I am sure you will be pleased.
Ahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:41 PM   #35

Ready Brute

Quote:
Yes, I have the break away, it was a $100. option. Another simple device. It is a cable locking box mounted to the fender well. In the event of a break away the cable pulls tight and the box locks it. That cable is attached the emergency brake peddle. It is reusable by resetting the cable and box lock.

The ReadyBrute was kind of an accident try, being that our previous tow bar broke 150 miles away from Entegra while heading to the factory tour. I bought the ReadyBrute in Elkhart because it was twice as strong as our Blue Ox that broke and said what the heck, I''l try the brake system to see how it works, If I don't like it I'll disconnect it. So far it has been great.
Chuck,
This looks like the same principle as proportional trailer breaks on boat trailers. Which makes sense to me with years of towing competition ski boats.

How clean is the storage of the tow bar and cables? I have not taken the RV out yet without the jeep behind it but if that was necessary would you need to take it off all together?
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:04 PM   #36

Quote:
I followed the instructions which said to connect it to the emergency brake peddle. As long as the cable locking box locks the cable while pulling on the regular brake peddle, I don't know why that wouldn't work. For me it was easier to connect to the emergency brake peddle as it was a straight shot from where I mounted the box on the fender well, plus there was a hole already in the firewall at the entry point. I thought I had messed up, it was almost too easy to install.
Ours is connected to the brake pedal and is also resettable easy install .
tizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:05 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Simi Air Force for me as well. It takes me 5 to 10 minutes to hook my wrangler up and that includes checking the lights and break test.
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:31 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaspiveys View Post
Chuck,
This looks like the same principle as proportional trailer breaks on boat trailers. Which makes sense to me with years of towing competition ski boats.

How clean is the storage of the tow bar and cables? I have not taken the RV out yet without the jeep behind it but if that was necessary would you need to take it off all together?
Exactly what the Ready Brake is. I love it as it follow the KISS method and works prefect. I just changed toads and it was a 1/2 an hour to change the brake system to the new toad, did it in the driveway, more light I ordered a new brake cable, $59. and left the old one with the Tacoma. The buyer bought it tow ready and bought a Ready Brute tow bar. He called me to tell me how great it works and loves the truck.

The Ready Brute folds out of the way just like a Blue Ox tow bar. I fold the cables up with the tow bar and wrap a bungee cord around it all...done. I have driven 500 miles without the toad connected, no problems. If I remember I'll take a photo of the new truck with tow equipment installed today.

The part I like is no dealers to make appointments to get anything installed. Nothing extra to purchase, not even the brake system it's included with the price of the lifetime guarantee tow bar. We are on or 5th year with it, problem free.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Exactly what the Ready Brake is. I love it as it follow the KISS method and works prefect. I just changed toads and it was a 1/2 an hour to change the brake system to the new toad, did it in the driveway, more light I ordered a new brake cable, $59. and left the old one with the Tacoma. The buyer bought it tow ready and bought a Ready Brute tow bar. He called me to tell me how great it works and loves the truck.

The Ready Brute folds out of the way just like a Blue Ox tow bar. I fold the cables up with the tow bar and wrap a bungee cord
around it all...done. I have driven 500 miles without the toad connected, no problems. If I remember I'll take a photo of the new truck with tow equipment installed today.

The part I like is no dealers to make appointments to get anything installed. Nothing extra to purchase, not even the brake system it's included with the price of the lifetime guarantee tow bar. We are on or 5th year with it, problem free.
Chuck which is it you have Ready Brake or Ready Brute? There's also Brake Buddy
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #40

I see BrakeBrute is made by ReadyBrake.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:30 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogelling View Post
Chuck which is it you have Ready Brake or Ready Brute? There's also Brake Buddy
I have the Ready Brute Elite with the brake system built in. The Ready Brake is added to an existing tow bar. Not my favorite because of the added length.
ReadyBrute™ Elite RV Tow Bar

The Brake Buddy is a box that goes in the Toad and connects to the brake peddle. It require power, which drains the battery or a charging wire has to be added. If the battery goes dead while towing then the brake system no longer works. Then after you park you need to store the box somewhere. Much better systems on the market. JMO.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I like the Ready Brake also. The KISS approach is great and does not introduce any other potential points of failure such as tapping into the coach's air brakes or requiring electrical power to run. When I was hunting for a supplemental toad braking system I did not want to install a box on the floor of the toad to tow and store the thing once I was done towing. Next I looked at the coach air powered systems and almost bought one until I saw the Ready Brake and after investigation and Google research I went with the Ready Brake. What sold me:
1. it stays with the tow bar and painlessly transfers to a new coach.
2 if get a new toad it costs only $75 to install a new cable.
3. The brake away is under $100
4. It is so simple I can self install it.
5. Finally the cost is $500 and a lifetime warranty

So IMO if you are looking for a new braking system for your toad give this a good look.

Youtube has many videos on the Ready Brute Elite which is the combo of brake and tow bar. BTW the Ready Brake can be used with any manufacturers tow bar.
Coral is offline   Reply With Quote