Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2021, 08:34 AM   #1

Brand of air filter

Folks, I am up for replacing my air filter first time. I am new to the DP arena and am not familiar with the quality of the brands.

Baldwin, Donaldson or Fram. (Fram I am used to on the auto side)

Which is mostly used here?
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 09:24 AM   #2

Jeff, you may find you have less brand alternatives for the particular air filter that is on your coach. I believe you'll find that the original filter was branded Fleetguard. I'd be inclined to stick with that.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:02 PM   #3

You can't go wrong with Fleetguard although it is probably more "pricey" I have seriously considered the K&H re-usable Cummins Air filter. I like the K&H .... I like the fact that it can be reused (the element is cleaned and the "can" remains constant. It is at least twice as expensive as the OEM when purchased but can be cleaned and reused multiple times. I think it is a better quality filter.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:46 PM   #4

Gary, it's K&N rather than K&H:

https://www.knfilters.com/heavy-duty

I have a long-held respect for K&N, but with regard to installing one of their re-usable air filters on a motorhome, I helped a friend who has one remove the filter, clean it, retreat it, and reinstall it. Nastier and more effort than I care to sign up for as compared to just replacing a standard air filter every couple of years.

I've had several motorhome owners claim they installed a K&N air filter and could "feel the difference in power." You can probably guess the extent to which I believe that. I'm pretty sure what they were feeling was a lighter wallet.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the observation and experience Larry.... it always seemed like it was easy to clean, but then what it seems like, and what it is actually like, are two very different issues, as we all have learned.

Also thanks for the correction on K&N.... would have sworn it was K&H, but I trust you.

Gary
Old 02-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #6

I've done the K&N and similar reusable filters. They do provide a little bit of increased power because they allow more through. Less filtering. Honestly I've gone back to using good disposable filters because I don't want the dust that oil based filters allow to get through. Many YouTube videos on this. Don't know if they make filters for your RV but the best compromise seems to be with good Wix, Purolator, Napa Gold, etc.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Jeff, you may find you have less brand alternatives for the particular air filter that is on your coach. I believe you'll find that the original filter was branded Fleetguard. I'd be inclined to stick with that.

Thanks Larry, I crossed referenced the part # from the sticky parts thread up top and found the Fleetguard.

Regards,
Jeff
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:28 AM   #8

My son is a diesel mechanic and he told me, as a general rule, never buy Baldwin filters. That's all.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #9

For the last 16 years we have been using K&N air filters on both our Essex with ISM 11 and now with London Aire with K-3 605. Both Spartan and Cummins recommend replacing air filter every year if using a paper filter which most filters mentioned are. The reason is these filter when get wet and glue that holds the paper together comes apart and gets into turbo. Have used K&N air filters on all our cars and trucks for more years then the motor homes.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I purchased a K&N Heavy Duty Air Filter 38-2001R (https://www.knfilters.com/38-2001r-r...ter-filter-hdt) which fits my '18 Anthem with a K2 chassis.

The air cleaner that was originally installed was an ECOLITE P/N: 62891-001. At the end of the first year of service, I ordered and installed the same air cleaner. It wasn't a fun installation. Not really difficult, it was just that my forearms looked like I'd been in a wrestling match with a badger by the time the job was done.

I came across a couple of threads discussing replacing the air cleaner with a K&N. The K&N cost was about 3 times the ECOLITE and the K&N info indicated that the filter element is warranted for three years. So, the cost seemed to be roughly equivalent.

My main attraction to the K&N rested in my hope that I'd be able to remove the filter element for cleaning without having to wrestle the badger again by removing the entire cannister. For me, that would have easily offset any additional cost of the K&N.

Unfortunately, the design of the K&N is such that the end of the cannister that is removeable is the end that's near the side wall of the engine compartment in front of the left tail light, not the end that's near the centerline of the chassis (the easy access end).

So, it looks like the only way to clean the filter element would entail removing the entire cannister, just like replacing the ECOLITE.

K&N sells a spray cleaning solution that you spray on the element and then rinse with fresh water. Once the element has dried, simply insert the element back into the cannister. You need to tape around the seam of the cannister. This element does not use any oil on the element.

During two conversations with Spartan techs where I inquired about installing a K&N air cleaner, I got the distinct feeling that they weren't too keen on the idea. Although they didn't say, "Oh, no!!! Never ever do that.", neither did they say, "That's a great idea!!!" More along the lines of, "Yeah, some people do that. Not many, though."

So, since the K&N won't save any labor (ripped up forearms) and the cost is about equal, I'm continuing my use of ECOLITE or equivalent Fleetguard.

If any of you are interested in an unused K&N that fits the ISL 450, drop me a PM and we can play "Let's Make A Deal".

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-02-2021, 02:09 PM   #11

Stu, what you described is consistent with what I experienced when helping a friend with a Tiffin motorhome (Cummins ISL engine) remove his K&N filter for cleaning.

Not an especially fun job and not much (if any) easier than installing a new air filter. And when we took the canister apart to remove the filter element for cleaning, we discovered a rubber o-ring that seals the canister was deteriorating to the point of not being reusable. Fortunately a trip to a local auto parts store and the purchase of some rubber hose with the same outside diameter as the o-ring took care of that issue.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Both Spartan and Cummins recommend replacing air filter every year if using a paper filter which most filters mentioned are. The reason is these filter when get wet and glue that holds the paper together comes apart and gets into turbo. Have used K&N air filters on all our cars and trucks for more years then the motor homes.
Am attaching a photo for an example of what you have said here. The filter in the pic came from my MH. It was in service just over a year.
Whatever brand you choose, be sure it has the metal mesh on the engine side of the filter. The ones with only glue are certain to fail from moisture causing the glue to come loose from the paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2BE42D85-9F37-4C3C-9020-088751D85265.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	319884   Click image for larger version

Name:	786D84A7-1AD5-483C-95B8-F6C2FC93C6CF.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	319885  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4C69C279-EF81-4BD3-AA88-E09A78195CF9.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	319886  
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:35 AM   #13

Yep, that is the picture I remember seeing a couple years ago, or one exactly like it, and it indicated clearly for anyone to see that an acceptable filter must be first rate and it must have a metal mesh cone holding the paper element in its position..... that scared the heck out of me.

Never knew if it was a manufacturing defect or if it is just a cheap, improper constructed line of filters but it behooves us all to examine whatever we are buying or have bought to make sure that it is built correctly before installing.

Gary

Tags
air, air filter