RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2021, 06:08 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Brief Loss of Power on Inverter 2 Circuits

We are having an issue with the power cutting out very briefly and immediately coming back on the Inverter 2 circuits while the convection oven (Whirpool) is running. The TV, refrigerator and outlets on the driver side go off and then immediately power back up. Our 2016 Anthem is hooked up to 50amp shore power and all other appliances (ACs, dryer etc) are working fine.

Any thoughts on what could be the issue?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2021, 06:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Recently had a similar problem with my coach's Magnum Inverter. We had a put lem the GFCI circuit keep tripping the breaker. The final symptom was when we lost the circuit for the convention oven and the refrigerator. Turned out to be a bad AC card on the #2 leg. The mfg recommended a nearby authorized repair shop who troubleshot the problem. Guess it was a known problem because they had a replacement card in stock. In and out in about four hours.
ValionRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #3

Are you running any space heaters in your coach when this happens?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:53 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Are you running any space heaters in your coach when this happens?

Gary
Space heaters also seem to induce the problem. In this instance however, a computer and NAS/router were the only other devices running besides the Whirlpool microwave. No breakers were tripped.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Have you checked wires for tightness in the circuit breaker panel? A loose common can cause that type of problem.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:20 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagias View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Have you checked wires for tightness in the circuit breaker panel? A loose common can cause that type of problem.
Hi Arwinder,

I had a similar issue on my '18 Anthem that was tracked down to an intermittently loose connection in one of the outlets in the circuit. The tech who tracked it down used one of these:

Name:   Circuit tester.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  15.8 KB

He didn't use it to test circuit continuity as much as he used it to just physically wiggle each outlet in the circuit. He was able to identify an outlet that, when wiggled using the tester, replicated the anomaly. Once he found the outlet with the defective connection, he simply turned off power and tightened the connection.

Good luck tracking it down. Those dang intermittent malfunctions can be a bugger to track down.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-10-2021, 08:15 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks all. I believe I have a similar tester sitting somewhere in the tool box. Will be sure to report back if the mystery reveals itself.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:47 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
You say you're plugged in. If so, all the inverter does is "pass through" the current. Do you have known good power on both legs from the pedestal? Does the problem reoccur on generator?
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:26 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcosdad View Post
You say you're plugged in. If so, all the inverter does is "pass through" the current. Do you have known good power on both legs from the pedestal? Does the problem reoccur on generator?

I am assuming the power is good as we have stayed at this location/site before. All ACs and range were running fine this afternoon. I can do the test with the generator tomorrow. It is due for its monthly exercise anyway.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:13 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I can confirm that the problem is replicated with the generator running. The convection heating on the microwave needs to be on for the brief power interruption to occur. The TV, satellite receiver and computer rebooted after the microwave had been on for about 15-20 min. Short periods of the microwave being on does appear to trigger this issue.

I am assuming that this means that the shore power is not the issue and it is most likely a wire tightness/loose connections issue that needs to be addressed?
Old 01-14-2021, 09:51 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagias View Post
We are having an issue with the power cutting out very briefly and immediately coming back on the Inverter 2 circuits while the convection oven (Whirpool) is running. The TV, refrigerator and outlets on the driver side go off and then immediately power back up. Our 2016 Anthem is hooked up to 50amp shore power and all other appliances (ACs, dryer etc) are working fine.

Talk to Don 757driver an expert on that i had this problem and he knows the fix, As i remember its in setting
something about setting a number to zero for .o5 or something like that a very simple fix. refers and microwave was off and on all the time till i changed the defult setting/
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
From this video: https://youtu.be/SDQfZtbgpnA?t=189 which features PJ's discussion of power management, the inverter settings for a 2017 Anthem/Cornerstone should be:

Search watts = 5 watts
- CHANGE TO ZERO
Vac dropout = 80 volts
Low battery cutout = 10.7 volts
Battery type = AGM1
- CHANGE TO AGM2
Amp hours = 800

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
From this video: https://youtu.be/SDQfZtbgpnA?t=189 which features PJ's discussion of power management, the inverter settings for a 2017 Anthem/Cornerstone should be:

Search watts = 5 watts
- CHANGE TO ZERO
Vac dropout = 80 volts
Low battery cutout = 10.7 volts
Battery type = AGM1
- CHANGE TO AGM2
Amp hours = 800

Take care,
Stu

Thanks Ron and Stu.

Would these settings apply to a 2016 Anthem as well?

This was not an issue for the past 4 years and the problem is quite reproducible if the microwave runs for a while. So far, I have tightened all the connections in the right side breaker panel but without success.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:40 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Arwinder,

Oops...my bad. I gave you the numbers for a '17.

In the video (https://youtu.be/SDQfZtbgpnA?t=171) at 2:51, PJ gives the numbers for a '16 (different for flooded vs. AGM batteries).

Have you checked integrity of the wiring in the outlets on that circuit? Just plug something in to each outlet and wiggle the plug trying to flex each outlet a bit as you wiggle the plug. The circuit tester that I suggested works well because it's a three prong plug that fits tightly in the outlet and gives you a good grip to wiggle the outlet.

Take care,
Stu

Tags
inverter, loss of power, power