Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Burned by KOA

We like to plan our trips well in advance. Last week I made reservations for a round trip to Las Vegas in mid-April. 2 of the parks we planned were KOA's (2 stays at each). A situation came up that required us to cancel our trip. When I cancelled they told me there is a $10 cancellation fee unless the reservation is cancelled within 48 hours of making it. $40 fee to KOA for nothing. The other parks on our trip just said "Sorry you have to cancel. We hope to see you again in the future."

Shame on me for not knowing their cancellation policy. It won't effect me in the future, I'll RON in a Walmart parking lot before I stay at another KOA!
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
We like to plan our trips well in advance. Last week I made reservations for a round trip to Las Vegas in mid-April. 2 of the parks we planned were KOA's (2 stays at each). A situation came up that required us to cancel our trip. When I cancelled they told me there is a $10 cancellation fee unless the reservation is cancelled within 48 hours of making it. $40 fee to KOA for nothing. The other parks on our trip just said "Sorry you have to cancel. We hope to see you again in the future."

Shame on me for not knowing their cancellation policy. It won't effect me in the future, I'll RON in a Walmart parking lot before I stay at another KOA!
The cancellation fee for each KOA should of only been $10.00 each?
For a total of $20.00

(2 different KOA's).........if I am reading this right........
Just about every Resort/campground I have been in has a policy something just like KOA's.
Sorry you had to cancel your travel plans though!
Old 03-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I shredded my KOA card years ago. JMO but they are not RV friendly Sorry you had to learn the hard way also, I did as well.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #4

I've seen this before, the $10 fee is per reservation. I read Vance's story to indicate a total of 4 different reservations.

While some facilities have this charge, many do not. We've had to cancel MANY plans this last year and as late as this week. Frequently some kind of fee is involved.

For example, I just spent $40 at Gulf Waters without ever staying there.

Unfortunate part of the business.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #5

That's not that unusual.... when you cancel last minute then koa looses out the rent that someone else was willing to pay because you had it reserved... make sense...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #6

In high tourist ares, like Vegas, cancellation fees often are applied.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We lost a $100 deposit because of evacuating from the Outer Banks for Hurricane Matthew this past fall.
wndshldgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I've seen this before, the $10 fee is per reservation. I read Vance's story to indicate a total of 4 different reservations.

While some facilities have this charge, many do not. We've had to cancel MANY plans this last year and as late as this week. Frequently some kind of fee is involved.

For example, I just spent $40 at Gulf Waters without ever staying there.

Unfortunate part of the business.

-Matt
Thanks Matt I went back and read Vances post 9 more times and after reading your post, it sunk in!
Old 03-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
As long as I know the cancellation policy up front, that's not an issue...

Now one park I asked about didn't tell me and after we had to cancel they said look on your payment receipt, it's clearly printed there !!!! AFTER you pay they tell you there are no refunds !!!

Woodland Lakes RV Park in North Houston/Conroe, Tx- don't stay there, it's a dump anyway
Old 03-12-2017, 05:14 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
If you are going to get mad at cancellation fees, then include Entegra on the list. We forfeited our entire $498 deposit when we had to cancel for the LazyDays rally. Never had that happen before...they sent your deposit back after they rented out your spot. Not this time. When we questioned it, their only response was to send a copy of the cancellation policy. If we want to attend an event again, we won't reserve until the last minute or we won't go.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
That ought to take the heat off the KOA's ...........
That is terrible!!
Old 03-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #12

You did better than I. I had to cancel 36 hours prior and lost a full days rental.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
That's not that unusual.... when you cancel last minute then koa looses out the rent that someone else was willing to pay because you had it reserved... make sense...
I agree. I have been to places where the cancellation fee is the first night's rent. Still a lot cheaper than trying to cancel an airplane ticket!
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
The cancellation fee for each KOA should of only been $10.00 each?
For a total of $20.00

(2 different KOA's).........if I am reading this right........
Just about every Resort/campground I have been in has a policy something just like KOA's.
Sorry you had to cancel your travel plans though!

2 KOA's but 2 stays at each. 7-10 days between stays.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote