Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The rubber debris is mainly from the tow vehicle and road grime. The lower your tow vehicles flap, the more you get.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2016, 05:16 AM   #30

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Chief, we always had the tow bar bracket from Demco mounted under the bumper, never the set up you have....However I have a friend with the same bumper you have, he has no problems either, his jeep is a 2 door, 2013 lifted with 33" tires under it. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction with an alignment.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:28 AM   #31

All great suggestions. I'm definitely going to focus on resolving tire wear. I see an alignment in my future. Road grime burn I can live with!

Thank you!

Mark
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:37 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Mark, I sold my Jeep Liberty as I had to rotate tires every 1,000 mile of towing. I changed to a less aggressive tire and that helped, but still could not make more than a couple of thousand miles without cupping. I tried everything, new struts, alignments and finally gave up.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Mark, I sold my Jeep Liberty as I had to rotate tires every 1,000 mile of towing. I changed to a less aggressive tire and that helped, but still could not make more than a couple of thousand miles without cupping. I tried everything, new struts, alignments and finally gave up.

Chuck, I'm with you on that. I'm not so emotionally attached to this jeep that I'd do tire rotations and alignments more often than oil changes. Hopefully I can get it resolved since it's the DWs jeep!
Old 12-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Chief

I have about 40,000 mi towed on my 2012 JK Rubicon and about the same, 40,000 driven miles. No cupping or excessive wear. My Jeep is lifted 2.5 inches and has BFG KO2 35 inch tires. I would look at your ball joints.

As for smell. This is my 4th toad of various brands. They all had some odor after a long tow. The Jeep is the worst. As others have said it appears to be road grime on the exhaust system that you don't notice if you are driving the Jeep because the exhaust is hot and burning as you drive. After a long tow you have a lot of grime deposited thick and you start it up and it really smells. IMO some cars are more shielded than others on the exhaust systems and tend to stink less. The Jeep exhaust is pretty exposed.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Chief

I have about 40,000 mi towed on my 2012 JK Rubicon and about the same, 40,000 driven miles. No cupping or excessive wear. My Jeep is lifted 2.5 inches and has BFG KO2 35 inch tires. I would look at your ball joints.

As for smell. This is my 4th toad of various brands. They all had some odor after a long tow. The Jeep is the worst. As others have said it appears to be road grime on the exhaust system that you don't notice if you are driving the Jeep because the exhaust is hot and burning as you drive. After a long tow you have a lot of grime deposited thick and you start it up and it really smells. IMO some cars are more shielded than others on the exhaust systems and tend to stink less. The Jeep exhaust is pretty exposed.

Thanks Dave, I'll definitely check out all front end components before aligning. Hopefully it'll be an easy fix!
Old 12-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
We too had the burnt rubber smell in the toad. I eliminated it by selecting the air recirculation function of the air conditioner prior to shutting off the engine during hookup. This closes the outside air vents. May not work for you, but it did for us.

Hope this helps, Brian
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #37

I certainly do not smell it inside the vehicle but sure smell it after disconnecting and driving it and then parking it
no matter what MH or vehicle I pulled all always had/have that burning oil smell for sure for a short time
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
To add detail to what others have mentioned... Based on reading some other thread, I think the theory goes that all cars traveling down the road pick up bits of rubber, oils, and other dirt from the road. Some of this stuff hits the exhaust system, but when you are driving, the exhaust system is very hot and burns it off almost instantly. When you are towing, theory suggests that the road grime accumulates on the cool exhaust system, and so when you start up the toad after a long tow, the smell is possibly these oils, rubber, and other road grime burning off.

Having said that, I have never experienced this burning rubber smell after towing my Jeep.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #39

OK I'll through in my theory if I wash out the front of the toad when we get to where were headed no smell, if not stinkomatic. I'll spray some simple green/est in the grill area and hose it out. I think the smell in my case is all the C%$# that the DP throws uo on the old girl.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #40

Burnt rubber smell towing wrangler

Both my '08 Wrangler and my '15 Rubicon have that same odor after towing. I towed my '08 with steering unlocked (not necessary with the '15). My conclusion is that it is road debris on the CV axle boots, and goes away after a while. Not to worry...
midasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #41

Same smell with all my different tows, never anything with tire wear.
raceday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by midasman View Post
Both my '08 Wrangler and my '15 Rubicon have that same odor after towing. I towed my '08 with steering unlocked (not necessary with the '15). My conclusion is that it is road debris on the CV axle boots, and goes away after a while. Not to worry...
you would never ever get a smell from road debris on your cv boots and certainly not the burnt rubber/oil smell when running it as whats being discussed here? how would crap on your cv boot smell when you drove it/run the motor
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell, toad