Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #1
aza

CANCEL my Cornerstone order

Recently I posted regarding my DEF head failure hoping for a quick reliable solution. Spartan advised me to park my coach and wait possibly until September or October, just in time to winterize again, summer plans cancelled. I love my Entegra Anthem and factory service is fantastic, so I ordered a New Cornerstone several months ago. Now because of what I am hearing and my personal experience with Spartan engineering (Spartan told it is not their fault, blaming their supplier...whatever) Regretfully I must cancel my Cornerstone I was so excited about and find comparable coach not built on a Spartan frame.
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aza View Post
Recently I posted regarding my DEF head failure hoping for a quick reliable solution. Spartan advised me to park my coach and wait possibly until September or October, just in time to winterize again, summer plans cancelled. I love my Entegra Anthem and factory service is fantastic, so I ordered a New Cornerstone several months ago. Now because of what I am hearing and my personal experience with Spartan engineering (Spartan told it is not their fault, blaming their supplier...whatever) Regretfully I must cancel my Cornerstone I was so excited about and find comparable coach not built on a Spartan frame.
I have followed your other posts out of interest and am sorry you had to make this decision, but it is entirely reasonable, IMO.

I'm certain we can assume you made it very clear as to the reason for the cancellation. I wonder if you will ever hear from Entegra directly about their loss of your business.

Good luck on your hunt.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:53 AM   #3

Since Spartan has no Def heads do you think they are out of business since they can not produce any chassis? Same with Entregra since they are not able to get new chassis?

This would put Foretravel in the same boat since they are using Spartan chassis
Old 06-17-2021, 11:01 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On one hand Iím sorry it has come to this and I hope you can continue to enjoy your Anthem until you can find a comparable coach that does not have this DEF head problem. On the other hand I hope there are more cancellations that will get enough attention to make something happen.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Unless you want to spend considerably more money than what a Cornerstone sells for, your options are:

- American Coach Eagle - Freightliner Chassis, Cummins X15 605 HP Engine:

https://www.americancoach.com/models...can-eagle-2022

- Tiffin Allegro Bus - 45OPP Floor Plan - Tiffin PowerGlide Chassis, Cummins X15 605 HP Engine:

https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/class-a/allegro-bus

(Note that in the Allegro Bus product line, the 45OPP floor plan is the only plan on which you can get the X15 engine.)

- Tiffin Zephyr - Tiffin PowerGlide Chassis, Cummins X15 605 HP Engine:

https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/class-a/zephyr

Amy & I owned a Tiffin Allegro Bus on a PowerGlide chassis for almost eight years before buying our Cornerstone. Tiffin's construction isn't quite equal to Entegra & Newmar (e.g., Tiffin uses vacu-bonded walls with styrofoam insulation), but our Allegro Bus served us very well and Tiffin's after-sale support is second to none.

We seriously considered American Coach (and Newmar) when we bought the Cornerstone. American coach finished third in our evaluation, but a lot has changed since that time. If we were shopping today, I'd definitely have American Coach on the candidate list - especially if, as seems possible, NIRVC starts carrying the American Coach product line.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:37 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We were in the process of selecting colors last month to place an order on a new Cornerstone to replace our 2017 Cornerstone but specifically because of the almost daily posts about DEF head failure decided to hold off until they can get this problem resolved. The problem seems to be getting worse with more frequent breakdowns, it's a shame spartan hasn't put this as their #1 priority because now it's affecting Entegra sales.
Petek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Unless you want to spend considerably more money than what a Cornerstone sells for, your options are:

- American Coach Eagle - Freightliner Chassis, Cummins X15 605 HP Engine:

https://www.americancoach.com/models...can-eagle-2022

- Tiffin Allegro Bus - 45OPP Floor Plan - Tiffin PowerGlide Chassis, Cummins X15 605 HP Engine:

https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/class-a/allegro-bus

(Note that in the Allegro Bus product line, the 45OPP floor plan is the only plan on which you can get the X15 engine.)

- Tiffin Zephyr - Tiffin PowerGlide Chassis, Cummins X15 605 HP Engine:

https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/class-a/zephyr

Amy & I owned a Tiffin Allegro Bus on a PowerGlide chassis for almost eight years before buying our Cornerstone. Tiffin's construction isn't quite equal to Entegra & Newmar (e.g., Tiffin uses vacu-bonded walls with styrofoam insulation), but our Allegro Bus served us very well and Tiffin's after-sale support is second to none.

We seriously considered American Coach (and Newmar) when we bought the Cornerstone. American coach finished third in our evaluation, but a lot has changed since that time. If we were shopping today, I'd definitely have American Coach on the candidate list - especially if, as seems possible, NIRVC starts carrying the American Coach product line.
I test drove an AC at Tampa the year before last. I was not at all impressed with the coach. The dash sits way too high and obstructs your views. I loved the zephyr. Another reason I went with the CS is resale. Neither the AC or Tiffins hold their value as well.

Now with that said, what's to say that are not having the same def issues?
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #8
aza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I have followed your other posts out of interest and am sorry you had to make this decision, but it is entirely reasonable, IMO.

I'm certain we can assume you made it very clear as to the reason for the cancellation. I wonder if you will ever hear from Entegra directly about their loss of your business.

Good luck on your hunt.
I love our Anthem, really excited to upgrade. Entegra is a large buyer of Spartan chassis and hopefully Spartan realizes that Entegra is losing business due to this issue. I don't think any other coach in the price range compares! It is my hope that they put pressure on Spartan.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #9
aza

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
I test drove an AC at Tampa the year before last. I was not at all impressed with the coach. The dash sits way too high and obstructs your views. I loved the zephyr. Another reason I went with the CS is resale. Neither the AC or Tiffins hold their value as well.

A half million dollar coach that doesn't move is a serious issue! I owned from new an American, a Tiffin, and a Jayco. Noting compares to Entegra. In 100+ weather my Tiffin wouldn't cool below 85 degrees, my Anthem is 75 (as set) even in 110 degree weather in full sunlight. I hope Entegra puts pressure on Spartan for parts and a fix, or uses the different DEF equipment as others with who experience significantly fewer issues. I understand that Freightliner experiences less issues with DEF pumps and quickly supplies replacement parts.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post

I've tried to look at the American Coaches but on their website there's very few pictures and I haven't had a chance to see one in person.

As for resale values, I think we can assume that they'll drop like a rock when people can't drive them. Much less seeing 1/2 million dollar coaches being toted around on drop deck trailers. Kind of bad for product image.

Entegra isn't innocent here! They are in position to demand more from their chosen suppliers. If they don't, they're committing business suicide, and at the very least they should be very vocal on their desires to help the owners of these coaches.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:10 PM   #11
aza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
On one hand Iím sorry it has come to this and I hope you can continue to enjoy your Anthem until you can find a comparable coach that does not have this DEF head problem. On the other hand I hope there are more cancellations that will get enough attention to make something happen.
I'm sure there will be. We planned a month plus trip traveling western US this summer. We have reservations with non-refundable deposits. I can't imagine that anyone would take a Spartan chassis on a long trip and gamble that the pump doesn't fail hundreds of miles from home.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:17 PM   #12

Quote:
I'm sure there will be. We planned a month plus trip traveling western US this summer. We have reservations with non-refundable deposits. I can't imagine that anyone would take a Spartan chassis on a long trip and gamble that the pump doesn't fail hundreds of miles from home.
This is a very unfortunate situation to say the least. There are many of us that have elected to carry a spare def head as cheap insurance. Should we have to do this? Of course not but no manufacturer is perfect.

We have had 14 coaches over 30 yrs. the one and only time I have been towed was on a FL chassis. The dreaded fan frame mess that hit a lot of people. I think because of the cost of these things we expect trouble free service. Thatís just not realistic as we all see regardless of price. I have spent years learning these motor homes to prevent any destroyed trips due to a breakdown.

Again the one and only time I have been towed is with FL.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #13

I can hear the frustration in your voice. If everyone would sit and refuse to jump into these half million dollar problems, thing would change. If you have a good coach keep it. A year or so is not going to matter.
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #14

Just wondering whether anyone has communicated with Joyce/Entegra regarding the DEF head issue?

I realize it's a Spartan-sourced part; however, we didn't buy "Spartan" coaches - we bought Entegra.

I'm sure Entegra is monitoring the situation - hopefully they (and Newmar, et al) are putting pressure on Spartan to resolve this issue.

BG
BobG88 is online now   Reply With Quote