Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2016, 05:00 AM   #15
Community Administrator

You can walk in and out. I walked in a few years ago and took the elevator out. Here's a report from two weeks ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461927650.552951.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	125567

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 07:44 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
We did stay at the Carlsbad RV Park and campground and one of the reasons was location. It is not bad, gravel sites.

The big room is the star of the show at Carlsbad. If you are going to go, you really need to see it. The decision to do the walk depends on your physical limitations. It is fairly strenuous for some seniors. Pacing has a lot to do with it. If you are moderately active and take your time, it isn't so bad. I am 65, not in the best shape and had little problem. I was helping my wife, who needed frequent rest stops , which also helped me. That said, she made it. The park rangers INSISTED I take here with me!
Do make sure to wear good footwear. Rubber soles are a must. The temperature is very comfortable 57 degree below ground. They suggest a jacket, didn't really need it.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippsfl View Post
We did stay at the Carlsbad RV Park and campground and one of the reasons was location. It is not bad, gravel sites.

The big room is the star of the show at Carlsbad. If you are going to go, you really need to see it. The decision to do the walk depends on your physical limitations. It is fairly strenuous for some seniors. Pacing has a lot to do with it. If you are moderately active and take your time, it isn't so bad. I am 65, not in the best shape and had little problem. I was helping my wife, who needed frequent rest stops , which also helped me. That said, she made it. The park rangers INSISTED I take here with me!
Do make sure to wear good footwear. Rubber soles are a must. The temperature is very comfortable 57 degree below ground. They suggest a jacket, didn't really need it.
Thanks. I'm hoping Dan will say ok and be up to it ... if not, maybe I will go by myself.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:49 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
We went through the Carlsbad area in February of this year and planned to stop off and tour the caverns. It was very disappointing to find that the elevators was closed down. Neither my wife or I felt it would be fare to the local paramedics if we tried walking down and back up from the caverns on the foot path.

We stayed at "The Ranch", a Escapees park located 43 mi. north of the caverns in Lakewood, NM. Being as this was our first time at that location our cost was only $50 (plus $8 in electrical usage) for a week with full hookup.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #19
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Thanks ... maybe I will change my reservation. Did you stay at Carlsbad RV Park? If you don't go all the way down to the "big room" ... is it still worth going? I know as soon as I tell Dan the elevator doesn't work to come back up- he will tell me to rethink this and go for plan B.
One advantage for the KOA: It is about half way between Carlsbad and Area 51, if you are interested in Area 51. We, especially DW, enjoyed Area 51 s well as the Cavern.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Were there a year ago and stayed at the Carlsbad RV Park right in town on the highway. About a 10 minute drive to the cave. Not bad. The campground is gravel but neat and clean.

We found several good restaurants in the city as well. Some very good BBQ.

My Wife kept looking for Orks the whole time.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #21

We were there in the 80s and went over the evening we got there to watch the bats fly out. We spent most of the next day walking through the cavern and left that evening. It is truly spectacular.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:53 AM   #22

Please advise, the safest route to drive my rig from San Diego to Carlsbad Caverns National Park, NM. I-8 is very close to boarder, some concerns about safety due to recent news at those boarders. I hate uneven places where road hits my Monaco Camelot 42PDQ's hitch and prefer to have at least 14.1' vertical clearance. I do not recall which software emulates entire planed route on Google earth and show entire trip in picture.
Seichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #23

Brantley Lake State Park is about 40 miles north of the caverns. We have stayed there a few times, small but nice SP. Some sites are FHU and others water and electric.
2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:48 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
We stayed at the KOA last thanksgiving. Had a great time, a little breezy though. Caverns were great. Also highly recommend the wild life Zoo at the north end of town. Great Mexican food in town!
GRedman is offline   Reply With Quote