Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #1

Cautionary Tale: Battery Compartment Bottom

On the classics, the bottom of the battery compartment is a piece of 3/16" black plastic about 30 inches by 40 inches held on from the bottom by sheet metal screws. The rest of the coach has insulated plywood that is dropped in from the basement side...not the battery compartment!

I recommend getting under the coach and pulling the sheet metal screws that hold it on and adding some fender washers and Loctite as you re-assemble.

When it released, there was a pretty impressive banging noise for maybe two or three seconds and then a "oh s***" moment as it became airborne after passing under the rear duals. Clean miss on the toad and good thing no one was behind. Last I saw it was as it cleared the top of the coach like a giant Frisbee.

It will be my contribution to Texas roadside detritus. Sorry Texans, I didn't mean to litter!
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 07:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
On the classics, the bottom of the battery compartment is a piece of 3/16" black plastic about 30 inches by 40 inches held on from the bottom by sheet metal screws. The rest of the coach has insulated plywood that is dropped in from the basement side...not the battery compartment!

I recommend getting under the coach and pulling the sheet metal screws that hold it on and adding some fender washers and Loctite as you re-assemble.

When it released, there was a pretty impressive banging noise for maybe two or three seconds and then a "oh s***" moment as it became airborne after passing under the rear duals. Clean miss on the toad and good thing no one was behind. Last I saw it was as it cleared the top of the coach like a giant Frisbee.

It will be my contribution to Texas roadside detritus. Sorry Texans, I didn't mean to litter!
It's not just the Classics that have the battery bottom issue. Our 2016 is not secured very well either. Noticed a crack in the plastic next to a mounting screw.
Fastened on 3 sides and loose on the unsecured side. I can envision this plastic catching air when traveling.
Fastening on the unsecured side will require additional bracket (maybe some angle material)
The fender washers are an excellent idea also.
252sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #3

Wow!
Does ECC have a fix?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My 2016 isn't cracked (maybe Cornerstones ride smoother ) but it is the same plastic as you have. I did need to remove it once for access to the back wall of the battery compartment and it is held in with self-tapping sheet metal screws.

But I can see how this could become something of an issue eventually and I'm not sure that fender washers would be enough to eliminate the problem. The plastic does get brittle from age, heat and maybe even ozone from charging batteries. With the one side unsupported it's bound to vibrate and flex so its probably an eventuality. I'm thinking a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal with rubber gasketed fender washers would be a better solution. The open end could even be bent with a 90 degree lip to further add rigidity.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #5

My plan is to replace mine with a piece of 14g aluminum sheet and use tech screws to fasten to fight the vibration issue.

Didn't contact CS as I am out of warranty.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:12 PM   #6

Cautionary Tale: Battery Compartment Bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
My plan is to replace mine with a piece of 14g aluminum sheet and use tech screws to fasten to fight the vibration issue.

Didn't contact CS as I am out of warranty.

I think ECC would at least approach the issue as a build flaw, and possibly a liabilty issue due to it getting "launched". Yes?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #7

Battery Compartment Bottom

My bottom cover came halfway off while driving through the mountains of Georgia. Only one side broke off, I dragged the cover for a short time until I could pull off of the highway. I had to break the remaining portion off. I was going to Entegra for some other warranty issues. They replaced the panel with sheet metal.

We have a 2015 Aspire.
mccombsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
My 2014 Anthem had that problem in the first year. The battery bottom panel of course broke loose arriving into a campground. I had to crawl underneath and unscrew the few screws left. The panel had fractured. I threw it away and bought another plastic sheet. Cut to size then anchored with bigger SS screws using fender washers.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery