Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #1

CB Roof Mounted Antenna

Looking for a photo or description of the CB antenna that Entegra has place on the roof of the Anthem.... Would it be possible to switch out the antenna for an amateur ham radio antenna for UHF ? Thanks !
motor69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I think you could do it easily. There is a standard antenna mounting base up there, which leads to a PL-259 plug under the dash. You could easily unscrew the CB antenna and screw on another type of antenna.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #3

I just changed out the CB antenna base today on my 2011 Aspire, so do not know how they compare. Mine had the ProComm antennae and base. It was grounded by what I think was 12 gauge stranded wire which was doubled up and grounded to the chassis. Wire was stripped of it's sheath and wrapped around the base post/washer/ nut. Small metal base plate on top of roof with a lot of Dumb-Dumb for sealant. I was able to access it by removing the front D/S roof surround sound speaker.
Ecsaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My first question is how high is the roof. if it's over 12 feet you are pushing it.

IF the roof is other than metal you need a no ground plane VHF antenna, this means a 5/8 wave which is what Just over 3 feet tall.. If you have a 12 foot high roof, that is 15 feet and you may shorten your antenna on a handy dandy bridge somewhere.

Of course if you lay down a ground plane (Glue aluminum (or copper) foll down a 36" circle of it) and paint over it once attached to the ground side of the antenna mount) then you can use a common quarter wave and it will work great. Odds are you won't wack any bridges.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #5

I have the Anthem. I installed a radio and checked SWR. It is high 2-3 SWR. It seems to stay high when adjusted up and down. Any suggestions or experience in lowering SWR with this short antenna? I don't receive very well either. Occasional radio checks get no responses. I question if the new radio is working. Any suggestions?
Robertk786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertk786 View Post
I have the Anthem. I installed a radio and checked SWR. It is high 2-3 SWR. It seems to stay high when adjusted up and down. Any suggestions or experience in lowering SWR with this short antenna? I don't receive very well either. Occasional radio checks get no responses. I question if the new radio is working. Any suggestions?
I have a 75 WXST Cobra radio. It has not worked with the Anthem since installed. Is there a CB antenna that will work better with this radio? Is there a different installation to get a CB radio to work?

Thanks in advance,
Robert
Robertk786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I fought the CB radio antenna on the Travel Supreme and never could get the SWR to match. Trimmed the antenna and that didn't work. Mounted a non ground plane antenna to a mount I built and that didn't work either.....finally gave up.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #8

Does anyone actually use a CB anymore? The seven years I owned my last two coaches with CBs I turned them on several times and heard nothing. Got no responses to any calls. Back in the day, 1970s early 1980s, there was so much talk that you that had to turn the squelch so high to the point no one could hear you. Now no one is talking at all. I could see if you ran in caravans a lot they would be useful and fun. But truckers seldom use them anymore and they sure don't want to talk to a MH driver it seems. You can conference call on a cell phone better. Don't mean to sound down about them but I'm not sure why they include the set up anymore. Just my $.02.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
They can be useful when there are traffic tie-ups, to get imformation about the extent so as to be able to plan a detour or other response. And as you say, when travelling with another coach or coaches. I probably would not have bothered with one in the Anthem except that the antenna was already installed and I had the CB from my last coach. So I installed it and guess what? I can hear but nobody appears to be hearing me. Haven't checked the SWR yet but I imagine that's the problem.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I fought the CB radio antenna on the Travel Supreme and never could get the SWR to match. Trimmed the antenna and that didn't work. Mounted a non ground plane antenna to a mount I built and that didn't work either.....finally gave up.
You have a base loaded antenna installed on your coach. You need the install a new top loaded antenna in another location on the side of your coach. Your SWR's will tune down to 1.1

2016 F150 Bronze Super Crew Cab 4X4
BigmoneySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmoneySr View Post
You have a base loaded antenna installed on your coach. You need the install a new top loaded antenna in another location on the side of your coach. Your SWR's will tune down to 1.1
Is there a reason why a top loaded antenna can't be put in the same place, on the roof?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmoneySr View Post
Too late now, the TS was sold last week I could hear across the road to hear what the traffic tie up was and that's all I used it for. Hit detour on the GPS and try to get out of the mess if it was a long way ahead.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:58 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
Does anyone actually use a CB anymore? The seven years I owned my last two coaches with CBs I turned them on several times and heard nothing. Got no responses to any calls. Back in the day, 1970s early 1980s, there was so much talk that you that had to turn the squelch so high to the point no one could hear you. Now no one is talking at all. I could see if you ran in caravans a lot they would be useful and fun. But truckers seldom use them anymore and they sure don't want to talk to a MH driver it seems. You can conference call on a cell phone better. Don't mean to sound down about them but I'm not sure why they include the set up anymore. Just my $.02.

Where did Entegra terminate your two sets of wires coming from the solar panels on the roof. On the bus feeding the house batteries and ground????

Old 11-08-2013, 04:11 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post

Your right not much talking. I use the cb for directions and when we drive in a caravan touring etc. I drove over the road for a number a years I have no trouble getting a response from the drivers. You got to learn their sayings and speak like a driver in a big truck (not an RV owner)

Tags
antenna, roof