RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #1

Ceiling leak in slide - Entegra Anthem

On our shakedown trip in our 2014 Anthem, we encountered a very large storm with high winds and lots of rain. The wind made the rain come in horizontal at times. We noticed a dark spot (see pics) on the ceiling in the driver's side slide up front near the driver's seat. It seems that, when the slides were extended, the water was getting under the slide's topper and then entering through the seam(s) on the top of the slide. Perhaps the tape used to seal got damaged during the continuous opening and closing of the slides over the last few years? The attached pictures show the inside roof of the slide as well as the top of the slide.

Would appreciate suggestions for:

-- The correct tape or other supplies needed to repair the area that is allowing water to enter.
-- The proper procedure for repair.
-- How to dry the wet area and clean up the stain.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_083609.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	295316Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_083640.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	295317Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_083855.jpeg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	295318Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_083936.jpeg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	295319

Road-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, that tape tends to get rubbed off after repeatedly running the slide in and out. For that reason, I had Entegra replace my slideout tapes after about 4 years, but you can do it yourself. The tape is Eternabond. You must remove the old tape and thoroughly prepare the surface and install according to the instructions that come with the new tape.

MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:08 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I did just what Marc said on my 14 on one of the slide where the tape had pulled loose. Caught it waxing the coach, so did not get any water damage.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This last Brobox post brings up another issue that's very important. Our coaches appearance will be excellent for years without any additional attention....BUT.....knowing what is going on with the outside finish and slides can help with keeping things in excellent shape. I've always been a believer in personally waxing and in most cases washing our RVs. The prime reason is that i'll know what is happening with every square inch of my coach and can rectify any issues before they get worse. Screws loose, missing, seals torn, etc etc. In my mind this is almost as important as annual engine service.

I don't want to hijack this thread but the last post really rang bells.

John
Old 08-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #5

Maybe I just can see it, but sure looks like the tape is missing on that seam. If so clean it good and reapply the Eternabond tape. Donít know if thereís any internal damage, but a mixture of 50% water and 50% bleach, carefully sprayed, will get rid of the stain.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #6

Since you don't say which floor plan you have I'll make the assumption that your slide, when open, has a flat floor similar to my 2017 44B.

Anyway, I had a similar issue as yours. On the top corner of the slide it looks like the tape is starting to slide and bunch up. My slide was doing this so Entegra added a shim behind the slide on the wall, both ends. This shim provides a small space between the wall and the slide so that when it opened and closed the tape didn't slide on the wall creating a problem. With this space, provided by the shim, the tape stayed intact and on the slide.

I've enclosed a picture of the shim on the wall, tried several times to rotate the pic with no success, but you should get the idea.

Once the shims were installed all tape was removed, cleaned, and reinstalled as others mention. And yes, they used Eternabond tape for the repair.

Give Entegra CS a call, explain your problem, and maybe they'll send you a couple shims.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide_Shim.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	295366  
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #7

Ours is a '17, and we have slide roof troubles too.

The basic problem is that the flush floor slide rises "too late".
The real fix would be to relocate the blocks that raise the slide outboard such that the slide did it's up/down before the flanges were in contact with the inside walls.

All the running that's going on causes some problems.
It has taken the "edge strips" off the walls where the slide touches.
When we asked our dealer, he said he could fix em but it would just happen again.

The slide roofs are all glued down rubber. The rubber runs across the horizontal roof of the slide and then up the upper flange.

The up/down motion of the slide is loosening the glued down rubber material, causing leaks.

Ours is completely let loose from the vertical flange, and pulling off the slide roof a foot.

In researching this, and talking to other owners as well as Entegra support, this is a problem they are aware of.
Over the years they have developed 3 fixes.
Production coaches started using fix 3 in 2019, I think.

Fix 3 includes L shaped fiberglass Pisces the length of the slide that completely cover the vertical flange, go over the top, And are screwed down into the interior trim of the slide.
Then there is a piece of aluminum angle. This is screwed into the crease where the horizontal slide roof meets the vertical inside slide flange.

This fix eliminates all soft materials from the slide flange area, and should be impervious to the up down movement of the flush floor slide.

I'm mobile now, but I do have PDFs of all the service bulitens.
I have part numbers.
And I have a box with the parts inside.
Parts cost is about $150
Installation will require undoing the outside edge of the slide topper and flipping it onto the roof.
I'll also probably need some sort of really small right angle drill/driver to screw down the fiberglass peice inside the coach.

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
Ours is a '17, and we have slide roof troubles too.

The basic problem is that the flush floor slide rises "too late".
The real fix would be to relocate the blocks that raise the slide outboard such that the slide did it's up/down before the flanges were in contact with the inside walls.

All the running that's going on causes some problems.
It has taken the "edge strips" off the walls where the slide touches.
When we asked our dealer, he said he could fix em but it would just happen again.

The slide roofs are all glued down rubber. The rubber runs across the horizontal roof of the slide and then up the upper flange.

The up/down motion of the slide is loosening the glued down rubber material, causing leaks.

Ours is completely let loose from the vertical flange, and pulling off the slide roof a foot.

In researching this, and talking to other owners as well as Entegra support, this is a problem they are aware of.
Over the years they have developed 3 fixes.
Production coaches started using fix 3 in 2019, I think.

Fix 3 includes L shaped fiberglass Pisces the length of the slide that completely cover the vertical flange, go over the top, And are screwed down into the interior trim of the slide.
Then there is a piece of aluminum angle. This is screwed into the crease where the horizontal slide roof meets the vertical inside slide flange.

This fix eliminates all soft materials from the slide flange area, and should be impervious to the up down movement of the flush floor slide.

I'm mobile now, but I do have PDFs of all the service bulitens.
I have part numbers.
And I have a box with the parts inside.
Parts cost is about $150
Installation will require undoing the outside edge of the slide topper and flipping it onto the roof.
I'll also probably need some sort of really small right angle drill/driver to screw down the fiberglass peice inside the coach.
Sounds to complicated! Iíve had the shims on for three years now and have had no problems with the slide roof or any rubber moving and causing any leaks. The shims have worked flawlessly and Iíve had no leaks.....
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #9

Thanks to everyone who provided the information ang great ideas. I ordered some Enternabond tape and will call Entegra CS about some shims. Any suggestions on how to dry the wet region inside the slide? Any way to somewhat easily open that region up and then seal it again after getting things dry?
Road-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #10

Couldnít some of this be done with the slide in or partially in?
I was looking at my tape as well and thinking about redoing it. Ideally, you would apply the tape in strips as long as possible but they could be overlapped to allow drainage.
Anyone do it this way?

2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anthem, entegra, leak, seal, slide