Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2022, 05:25 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Are these coatings resistant to “trail rash”, the scratches from tree limbs and such?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2022, 06:51 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
There are a ton of "ceramic coats" on the market. The best products must be installed by a dealer. The public doesn't have access to them. With that said, I had it done to a C7 corvette I had and it literally cut down significantly on wash time and increased the time between washes. The car always looked good. Amazing products when applied correctly.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Are these coatings resistant to “trail rash”, the scratches from tree limbs and such?
Not so much...but let me explain. My understanding is that while they have a hardness of 9H, (Can resist a scratch from a 9H graphite pencil which is the hardest grade) they can be scratched by branches. But that is what is being scratched, not the body paint and the scratches can be buffed out and coating reapplied. "Trail Rash" can be a wide range of contact pressure and harness.
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggrevatedRv View Post
You won’t have to wash as much, never have to wax again.
I use a deionized water filter that way I don’t have to dry, I can wash my coach minus the roof in 1hr. Washes very easy.
Not meaning to be argumentative, but "never" is a very long time. Much longer than any RV ceramic coating has been around.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 02:18 PM   #19

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Not meaning to be argumentative, but "never" is a very long time. Much longer than any RV ceramic coating has been around.

If you are having to wax this means your ceramic coating is gone. My coating is guaranteed for 5 years and said will last at least 8 with proper care. I won’t have my coach more than 5 yrs before I buy another one, so never in my case. [emoji41]
AggrevatedRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denie View Post
Not so much...but let me explain. My understanding is that while they have a hardness of 9H, (Can resist a scratch from a 9H graphite pencil which is the hardest grade) they can be scratched by branches. But that is what is being scratched, not the body paint and the scratches can be buffed out and coating reapplied. "Trail Rash" can be a wide range of contact pressure and harness.
Excellent Denie!!! Yes, 9H is the hardest you can actually get without moving to a tempered glass, and as hard as you can go and still maintain clarity to the paint!!!
MrMark_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 04:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Moniuszko View Post
Excellent Denie!!! Yes, 9H is the hardest you can actually get without moving to a tempered glass, and as hard as you can go and still maintain clarity to the paint!!!
Hi Mark. In addition to having the exterior of our ordered 2023 CS done I've opted to use it on the interior as well. Also, I've asked to have the shower glass and walls done.
Old 10-14-2022, 09:12 PM   #22

My ceramic experience is with my cars. Around 18 months ago I purchased a Lotus and had it ceramic coated. As stated a lot of why it costs so much to do is the prep work. Paid around $1,200 to have my car done, pretty drastic improvement in how the paint looks. Then took my wife’s grand Cherokee l in and had that done….

As mentioned usually around 5 years is how long the good coating last, some of the cheaper ones have a 2 year guarantee. On a RV I think it would be worth doing, my cornerstone is a 2016 (purchased in Feb) & I do not plan on keeping it that long so it’s not getting coated. If I can purchase a new one or one just a few years old next…. I will get it coated. As someone mentioned it’s around $100 a foot.

Ceramic will scratch in time and will not stop rock chips, scuff from branches etc. Best way to protect from that is PPF which would be stupid expensive in a RV to have the sides done.

Washing is no different vs a way, it’s just the water beads off more and for years vs months. When I wash my car I use a blower to blow 90%+ of the water off…. You can also have your windshield coated. I was told using a ceramic soap/wax isn’t required but it does help.

I believe Kenzo is the product my retailer used…. OEM lotus paint/wax vs ceramic coating was like washing dishes with no soap vs a bunch of dawn soap. It’s significantly slicker…. Bugs, dirt, water just don’t stick
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 03:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denie View Post
Well, we finally pulled the trigger and are ordering a 2023 Cornerstone from NIRVC.
Looking for opinions on Ceramic coating for the exterior. What's your thoughts on this product?
I’ve been using coatings from “ Torque Detail”. You’ll need 3 bottles of whichever product you choose from them. You won’t need any paint correction because it’s brand new! I’m currently using “ Ceramic Shine”. They also make a graphing coating.
TucsonTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 03:51 PM   #24

Good conversation. I would agree that the expense of having it done is not worth the cost if money is important. If not it is a great way to go to protect your vehicle. If cost is an issue you can do it yourself per this article. https://avalonking.com/blogs/compari...down-the-facts I've used a product Nexgen brand on our coach and found it very easy to apply and last for quite a while, depending on raod conditions and washings. It was actually easier than applying paste wax and worked as well or better for shine & lasted longer. As for wax finishes I feel the Stinger Chemicals in Houston makes the best lasting and shine
jrjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 03:57 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had our 2018 Foretravel ceramic coated by Bob Moses in Las Vegas. Matt Moore and his crew could not have been more professional explaining the entire process. About $100 per foot is in the ball park but may change depending upon the paint correction that may be necessary. They do all their work indoors. I could not be happier with their work.
Usmcja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 05:33 PM   #26

Shortly after buying my 2014 American Coach Revolution I used a product made by Gtechniq called EXOv4 nano coating. They call it a semi-permanent Hydrophobic hard film and I believe it is a bit easier to apply than a ceramic coating. I have used this product on my cars for years so it was an easy decision to add it to my MH. You should do a paint correction first as any imperfections will just get coated over and locked in. After the paint correction you thoroughly clean the surface with Gtechniq Panel Wipe which is acetone. You then apply a very small amount of the product doing small sections at a time and then buff off any excess with a microfiber towel. Add a second coat of EXOv4 and you will feel the surface get slicker. My storage facility is heated so this was a winter project for me as temps should be above 50 degrees. The manufacturer claims the product lasts 2 to 3 years before you need to refresh it but my experience is that
I am at 6 to 7 years of use and I see very little drop off in water beading. It is stored indoors but does get used and is washed 2 to 3 times a year. I find that the coating is so slick that nothing wants to stick to it including dust so the motorhome stays much cleaner. If you do your windshield with it you can drive without wipers in light rain plus the bugs come right off easily. You should use the Gtechniq G-Wash to wash the MH since it is formulated to work with the product.
I think the DI water rinse is the way to go so you don't have to dry. I use a battery powered leaf blower to chase the water off or into the seams. You will be surprised how the water sheds off as soon as the air hits it but make sure the area you are working in is wet so no dust gets pulled into the air stream. As with many things all the work is in the prep and the actual coating process is easy. I probably spent the better part of a week doing this over time but in 6 years since I have never felt the need to do anything but occasionally wash it. I recently pilled into Boyds Campground in Key West and a group of campers gathered around me as I was guided through an incredibly tight campground and into my spot. I thought they were grading my backing skills but when I got out their first question was where did you come from and how did you get here with such a clean MH. It had rained as I crossed Alligator Alley and it was spotless by the time I got there.
jrholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 08:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjacks View Post
Good conversation. I would agree that the expense of having it done is not worth the cost if money is important. If not it is a great way to go to protect your vehicle. If cost is an issue you can do it yourself per this article. https://avalonking.com/blogs/compari...down-the-facts I've used a product Nexgen brand on our coach and found it very easy to apply and last for quite a while, depending on raod conditions and washings. It was actually easier than applying paste wax and worked as well or better for shine & lasted longer. As for wax finishes I feel the Stinger Chemicals in Houston makes the best lasting and shine
I did do a cost benefit and ROI analysis. Currently we do a wax 3 to 4 times a year on our 2012 Seneca which cost about $300 each time. I used $400 per wax for the cornerstone. Ill hit ROI on year 5 and have a much easier time washing the coach plus the benefit of paint protection from the elements. As I had mentioned, our coach will never be out of the elements so ceramic coating is a win win for us.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:23 AM   #28

We had ours coated 4 years ago by Bob Moses Coating in Phoenix. Very happy. Washes easily and haven't waxed yet. I get asked frequently how I keep it so shiny. They have 10 locations now in the SW. 602-909-1907. They have a Facebook page.
guppy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase