Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2019, 06:54 AM   #29

Never thought of doing it while still bolted on....genius!
ill be doing it like this for sure thanks for the link!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #30

Im lucky all are same size...
Old 01-03-2019, 07:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2587n View Post
He didn't use starting fluid and a match to seat the bead.

Which compartment does that guy get stored in ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
Carrying a spare sounds like an idea until you realize many of us have 2 different size tires on our coaches. We have 315s on the front and 295s on the back.

Either size tire as a spare will get you to the next tire shop of your choice. It is good to have options/choices during any emergency situation.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:20 AM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I were you I would buy a new tire and a new wheel...air up +10% and find a place to store it. We were able to do this for a 22.5" tire and with a little jury-rigging, fit it in a pass thru compartment. Also join AAA or CoachNet. Sounds like you are full timers and this will come in handy, sooner or later.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:40 AM   #34

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Either size tire as a spare will get you to the next tire shop of your choice. It is good to have options/choices during any emergency situation.
No. The rims are also different (wider on the front). Still a bad idea for many of us.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Two different tire sizes

Quote:
No. The rims are also different (wider on the front). Still a bad idea for many of us.
Well guys, if I had 315 wide tires on the front and 295 wide tires on the rear...(because the wheels are different widths), I would care a 295/80R22.5 tire mounted on a 8.25 x 22.5 wheel.

Even though they are different size tires and wheels...the wheels have the same bolt pattern. That means if you have a problem on the rear it will work, or if you need it on the steering (even though it's narrower) it will work to get you to a tire store where you can get the right tire.

If you are using it on the steering in an emergency, be sure to have a little extra air in the tire and limit your speed.

Best regards and happy new year to all

LSBEH
Old 01-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Last summer we spent two months with 22 other coaches traveling western Canada and Alaska. Roads are bumpy in spots and rarely are they much wider than the travel lanes. Pull offs are few and far between.

No coach had a flat. Two of us had ?Blue Ox tow gear failures, a half dozen of us had new windshields upon return and one coach suffered engine failure and just left Canada late December.

There are shops that repair RV’s and do tire work. Not sure about tire size/make availability. Having said that remember that RV’s are usually low priority. This area only gets about 3 months of normal weather so companies tend to serve their regular customers first and tourists when they can.
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Taj View Post
..., a half dozen of us had new windshields upon return....
Is there anything you can do to protect the windshield for a short term trip - like install a heavy clear diamond shield film over the glass (that you would then discard after the trip)?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #38

Did Alaska Past Summer. 12,000 total miles from Texas. Some roads were wavey. (Learn to watch white lines ? red Cones),& Slow Down, Some construction. I Carried no spare. I would do it again with no, or, Less worries.& No Spare. Roads no worse than others in US, (although I was raised in the Oilfield). Just SLOW Down when meeting oncoming traffic, and wavey white lines ,or red traffic cones.
ka5gyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #39

when we picked up our new rv last oct before we even turned the key i spotted a screw in one of the front tires . i pulled it out but it did not leak , if it would have been longer it would have been my first flat . most big tires like we use can be set on the rim with out a cheat a blaster like in the video , or dangerous starting fld.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2413.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	230899  
n2587n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:43 AM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Is there anything you can do to protect the windshield for a short term trip - like install a heavy clear diamond shield film over the glass (that you would then discard after the trip)?
I’m not sure. We had a small strike on passenger side down low. Just unlucky, small car changed lanes in front of us on good roadway. Crack climbed up and then turned right and went to window edge.

Second crack I’m guessing was some sort of stress crack. We were parked in an Anchorage CG and we were oddly parked to avoid duals resting on a manhole. As I was sitting in driver’s seat filling out my log when upper right corner started snapping. Cracks went all the way down to bottom of windshield.

On both cracks I used clear packing tape inside and out. Progressive gave me a brand new windshield when we got back to the states.

I’m not sure in my case that I could have done anything to prevent either crack.

Fantasy RV schedules the Top if the world Highway crossing for Sunday’s to reduce how many big trucks you meet. Advice from seasoned travelers is if you have a truck approaching you from other direction slow down/stop as far over as you feel comfortable. This way oncoming truck will not leave the well packed down ruts and therefore reduce the chance of his rocks damaging your windshield.

The trip was amazing and well worth a new windshield and toad tow gear! I’d do it again tomorrow
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #41

Quote:

The best emergency plans are the ones that never get used. The worst emergency to happen is the one with no good recovery plan, like a breakdown with no cell service. Most people will only experience a emergency once and they will become better prepared for the next time. Personal experience is what makes all of us different
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
The best emergency plans are the ones that never get used. The worst emergency to happen is the one with no good recovery plan, like a breakdown with no cell service. Most people will only experience a emergency once and they will become better prepared for the next time. Personal experience is what makes all of us different
I agree with Everything Grindstone has said … be prepared !
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote