Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2020, 09:43 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Changing Serpentine & AC Belts

We just went over 50K miles on our 2016 Anthem and Spartan recommends changing the Serpentine and AC belts at 50K. Has anyone changed these and if so, any recommendations. I have a long handled 1/2” ratchet to reduce tension on the serpentine but I can’t figure out how to remove and reinstall the AC belt. I figure this is good practice before I have to do this on the side of the road at night and in pouring rain. Thanks for any thoughts. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	291671
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2020, 09:58 PM   #2

I know that the best way to access the AC compressor bracket in order to loosen it is to open the floor in the bottom of your closet. This will give you access to the top of the engine closest to the pulleys. Our closet has three screws buried in the carpet across the front edge close to the door track. Remove these an the bottom floor will open hinged by the carpet in the back. I'm sorry I don't remember exactly how to loosen the compressor bracket but I had to access it through the closet. Really was not that bad.
2Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:58 PM   #3

On the far side of the A/C compressor ( green arrow ) you should see the tension slide and lock bolt .
You'll also have to loosen the compressor pivot bolt . (yellow arrow )
And look carefully in case there is one at the rear of the compressor too.
Check " V "belt tension after a few hundred miles.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2020, 10:02 PM   #4

I just changed both belts on my 2015 44b.
It's not difficult if you remove the access in the rear closet to be able to reach the 4 bolts (metric 17 mm on mine) holding the a/c compressor. Loosen them all and and reduce the tension on the belt. Replace the belt,adjust tension,tighten the 4 bolts and put the closet floor back together.....done!

Btw.....when changing the serpentine belt I found a block of wood about 5 inches long placed between the tensioner and the frame really helps to let you use both hands for putting the belt in place without fighting with tensioner...

Hope this helps!

John
2015 Aspire 44b
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:12 PM   #5

Here's a different view of one of the many compressor mountings .

As; jmorse1 ; says loosen ALL the bolts , ( yellow arrows + two hidden 180 degrees on far side ) and hopefully your mount has the tension adjustment bolt ( red arrow. )
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2020, 04:10 AM   #6

At night, by the side of the road, in the rain? I'd just cut the AC belt and deal with it off the road, in daylight and sunshine. But that's just me.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:30 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I would also recommend taking the opportunity to spray some silicone or similar spray on the bolts, especially the adjuster bolt. As these things age, those bolts tend to become corroded and ornery. I had a financial disaster attempting to change my AC belt earlier this year. That belt change ended up costing me nearly $2K.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:18 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. My comment about “side of the road at night and in the rain” was tongue in cheek. These things always happen at the wrong time. In an emergency I’d definitely cut the ac belt so I could install a new serpentine. [emoji1]
Old 07-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Changing Serpentine & AC Belts

Step one take a picture of the belts so you can put them back on correctly

Remove the serpentine belt. For the AC belt Once the serpentine belt is removed put a flat screwdriver on the pulley the serpentine belt was on. Put pressure on the ac belt like you are trying to pry it off the pulley then with your other hand pull the pulley down and the belt will pop right off. Do the reverse to put on the ac belt. It takes about 1 minute to change the ac belt this way.

There is no need to loosen the ac pump with this procedure as it works flawlessly.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post

Remove the serpentine belt. For the AC belt Once the serpentine belt is removed put a flat screwdriver on the pulley the serpentine belt was on. Put pressure on the ac belt like you are trying to pry it off the pulley then with your other hand pull the pulley down and the belt will pop right off. Do the reverse to put on the ac belt. It takes about 1 minute to change the ac belt this way.

There is no need to loosen the ac pump with this procedure as it works flawlessly.
Trying to follow this but having a little trouble. Which pulley are you to pull down? They are all fixed in place, no?
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:38 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post

If you can would you take a picture with the screwdriver in place? Sounds like an easy way to change the AC belt. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #12

My experience is that if the belt is loose enough for the "screw driver" method of belt removal or replacement to work, that means that the belt is not sufficiently tight, and is subject to slippage under high (alternator current) load conditions. I might be wrong.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:40 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
My experience is that if the belt is loose enough for the "screw driver" method of belt removal or replacement to work, that means that the belt is not sufficiently tight, and is subject to slippage under high (alternator current) load conditions. I might be wrong.

Gary

Gary, the V belt that Philnail is referring to is the belt that drives the AC compressor.

I have used this method to remove and replace belts on mower decks but they had a spring tensioner where you could stretch the spring to remove the belt. But on the L Cummins in the Entegra there is no tensioner on this belt. So I not sure how this would work as far as proper tension.

Gary on your X Cummins which belts drives the AC compressor?

I guess the method that works is the one to use.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #14

Richard

Its on its own serpentine belt, and it definitely would not come off with a screwdriver.

And my comment about not sufficient tension/friction on the belt is actually directed at high amperage alternators that have to delivery very high amperage rates and are driven by "v" belt..... in my experience.... those need to be pretty tight not to slip.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote