Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #1

Chassis batteries

While we are all locked down-sure could use some advice on my Insignia 2019 37 Mb

Last weekend while plugged into 15 amp power I had a problem with one chassis battery boiling and smelling like sulphur.

I tuned off the lower breaker in the battery compartment and the battery cooled down.

Any ideas what would cause this?
If the battery is bad is the correct replacement a set of AGM batteries?
Does any one know what the upper and lower breakers in the battery compartment control?
Batteries are about 18 months old- coach sat on dealers lot for about 12 months. Has been in storage for the 6 months I have owned it. House batteries are fine.

Thanks- Stay safe
Dallasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hey there, do you check the battery fluid levels monthly ?
Ours in the DFW area get hot just sitting in storage, but I regularly check the distilled water levels and add more as needed...

Who knows what care, or lack of care, happened before you got it, so yes, the battery or batteries could be bad...

Are all your batteries the same type? not good to mix !
Another thing to check is the charge rate and type on your charger, to make sure the settings match your batteries...

I ended up replacing mine with 4 trojan t-105's and have been happy with them since 2015...
Old 04-23-2020, 09:33 AM   #3

Can't comment on the breakers as I don't know your brand coach. The advice about the age and condition of the chassis batteries is spot on. Many times the chassis batteries are wet plate, but "sealed" so you cannot check the water. Given your description, it's very likely that the one battery is bad and as such, you should replace all the chassis batteries at the same time.

IMO, it's not necessary to replace them with AGM batteries, unless that is what is already there. Remember, the chassis batteries perform a different function than house batteries so look for similar class/type batteries as replacements.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Sitting on a dealer's lot for a year.........more than likely those batteries have been completely dead more than once. Sounds like the one battery is shot.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #5

What you experienced is typically caused by an internal short in the battery. I had it happen once on a prior motorhome and was convinced the odor was coming from one of the holding tanks. Finally tracked it down to a very hot chassis battery.

I’m 99% sure your Insignia came from the factory with two Group 31 sealed lead acid (not AGM) batteries. Because they’re sealed there is no way to check electrolyte level. Similarly, the settings on your inverter/charger aren’t especially relevant to your chassis batteries.

Yes, you will need to replace the failed chassis battery and you’ll want to replace the other one at the same time. You can purchase sealed lead acid Group 31 engine starting batteries for around $100 apiece at most Batteries Plus stores (order online for in-store pickup and you’ll get a 10% discount) or at most Freightliner service facilities. The Freightliner service centers sell LOTS of Group 31 batteries since most over-the-road trucks are equipped with those same batteries.

You can go with AGM Group 31 batteries is you so desire, but they will set you back two to three times as much money.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #6

I have been told by people that should know "Dont ever replace just one battery if they are in a pair combination.... if one battery goes bad, then replace them both.

If your batteries are not already OEM AGM type batteries (but are flooded/acid batteries) then I think that you need to stay with the same type of battery. Most engines that are configured for lead/acid batteries need to stay with the same type (and the charger that is designed to deal with that type), but maybe better quality.

I have always been AMAZED at how careless most dealers are with both your house and chassis batteries. Most dealers dont have the coach plugged in or have any concern about battery state.

I could tell you about a dealer that is the display dealer at an RV show that I attend often, and it is always amazing to us actual coach owners, what the state of the batteries are on the display coaches.... they are almost ALWAYS in miserable shape.... voltage way below what any of us owners would let our good expensive batteries get in SOC (state of charge). We all just shake our heads. The good dealers (and you can count them on the fingers of one hand) have their coaches plugged in all the time... always, whether in the shop or out in the display area.... that behavior "separates the men from the boys...".

Gary

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #7

Like others have said, you've got a bad battery, probably shorted cell.

By the time you found this, damage was probably already done to the "good" battery. Add to that the age of the batteries and questionable history, I would replace both.

Also like others said, standard group 31 flooded should be the batteries that you replace them with.

Good news is, if you replace them with just about any name brand battery that isn't the absolute cheapest. You will be getting batteries that are better than the OEM ones. OEM batteries are almost always the cheapest that will get past warranty. Off the shelf from the auto parts store, is just the opposite. Typically much better battery. When in doubt, go with the heavier one. Lead weighs more than acid. More lead, usually better battery.

Steve
Old 04-25-2020, 06:24 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
FYI, don't let the swollen battery go to long. I had one explode in a golf cart, it is not a fun mess to clean up. A shorted battery can explode at anytime. Mine explode going down the street, not on the charger. That will get your attention sitting on top of it when it explodes.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #9

Chuck, I agree 100% on not delaying when it comes to replacing swollen/shorted batteries.

In my post above, I mentioned having the problem on a prior motorhome. In that situation, we had purchased a new motorhome and had a solid agreement with a couple who were buying our previous coach. We live in Arizona; they lived in northern California. We were a couple of days away from the husband flying down to Phoenix to pick up the new-to-them motorhome when we started noticing what smelled like sewer gas.

I tend to flush the daylights out of holding tanks after every trip, but I flushed the black and gray tanks a couple of more times just to be sure. When that didn’t cure the problem, I drained the fresh water tank, thoroughly sanitized the system, and refilled with clean water. Still no joy. Finally got lucky and determined the odor was coming from a shorted-out chassis battery. Which by that time probably wasn’t far from exploding.

Time was short at that point, so I ended up pulling the two virtually new Group 31 chassis batteries out of our new motorhome and installing them in the one we were selling. As I was doing so, I was having visions of how bad it might have been if the battery had shorted out right AFTER the new owner took possession of the coach rather than just before...

Motorhome on fire on the side of Interstate 5, halfway between Phoenix and northern California, new owner sues prior owner for false representation……you get the picture.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis