Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #1

Chassis batteries not charging on shore power

JUST LIKE my 2008 Ambassador, my chassis batteries do NOT appear to be charging when plugged in. House batteries are fully charged. Chassis batteries at around 12.5 volts. Turning on the inverter did not seem to make a difference. Anybody know something I don't??? If this is the case, what are you guys doing to keep the chassis batteries up? Last trip around 2 weeks ago...
midasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by midasman View Post
JUST LIKE my 2008 Ambassador, my chassis batteries do NOT appear to be charging when plugged in. House batteries are fully charged. Chassis batteries at around 12.5 volts. Turning on the inverter did not seem to make a difference. Anybody know something I don't??? If this is the case, what are you guys doing to keep the chassis batteries up? Last trip around 2 weeks ago...
midasman
That is not unusual.

On many coaches, (including mine), the chassis batteries only charge via the alternator when the engine is running...(just cars and trucks that have NO house batteries and/or NO inverter/charger).

Some owners think it's necessary to add an after market charging device like a Trik-L-start, Amp-l-Start or an Echo Charger.

Mel
'96 Safari, (148k miles)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
midasman
That is not unusual.

Some owners think it's necessary to add an after market charging device like a Trik-L-start, Amp-l-Start or an Echo Charger.
Per this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/chas...es-258350.html the discussions seems to indicate an Entegra should not need an after market charging device.

The link to the Entegra-installed device is mentioned in that thread and is here Battery Isolation Manager (Control & Relay) 160Amp Continuous | Precision Circuits Inc. which includes a link to troubleshooting.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #4

Your Entegra should absolutely keep your batteries charged when in shore power. Check your inverter settings and make sure it is turned on. Also the inverter has a breaker reset on it in the basement. It is a small white button on the side of the inverter. If it is not charging there is definitely something wrong.

2016 44 B Topaz Cornerstone
2014 MKT towed
Old 04-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Engine batteries start charging after house batteries reach a certain charge level so it may appear that chassis batteries aren't charging when you first plug in. Check chassis batteries after you've been plugged in overnight, if they are not up you have a problem.

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:29 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
As Entegra owners have said, when the house batteries are charged, the relay switches over to charge the chassis batteries. Best way to tell if the relay is working is with a volt meter. Check the chassis batteries with a volt meter before plugging in. They should be fully charged from the engine alternator. Check the batteries again before unplugging and see if there is any difference.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
The system is commonly referred to as a "BIRD". It has been around for quite sometime and I would assume Entegra is using it or a similar system.

This is Intellitec's discription.

THE BIRD
Description:
Intellitec’s Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay ( BIRD )offers a new approach to charging batteries in an RV application. Unlike prior systems that only allowed charging the RV battery from the engine’s alternator, the Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay charges both batteries when either one is being charged. When the coach is being driven, both batteries will be charged from the engine’s alternator. When the coach is plugged into shore power, both batteries will be charged from the converter. If neither battery is being charged, the batteries are fully isolated. The controller also senses heavy loads on either battery to prevent the wrong battery from being inadvertently discharged.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #8

Chassis batteries Not Charging on Shore Power

My house batteries fully charged (13.3 Volts). Chassis battery voltage is 12.5 Volts after 10 days on shore power. Inverter on or off seems to make no difference. Inverter IS working. That doesn't sound right to me. Seems like chassis batteries should be at LEAST 12.7 volts, or more. ???

Anybody who has owned a coach that could be parked for 3 months or more KNOWS that the chassis batteries DEFINITELY NEED periodic charging. ANY battery eventually goes DEAD...The manufacturer ought to be at least as smart as us chickens...

SO, do I have something wrong???
Old 04-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:

If you were testing, chassis battery voltage AFTER , disconnecting from shore power , what you may be seeing is a marginal set of chassis batteries.
If you were testing, chassis battery voltage , while still connected to shore power , the voltage at both sets of batteries should be the same, if you have a BIRD or BCC that's operating properly.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #10

Our antique '13 Anthem will have low chassis batteries after parking for 3 or 4 weeks plugged in if I leave the chassis battery disconnect/breaker on. Not dead but definitely slow to crank. After two experiences of this I started hooking up a "battery tender" to the chassis batteries anytime we are plugged in for 2 weeks or more. I also heard the same story from two other Entegra owners that further prompted me to add the battery tender to the parking hookup ritual.

The only other way I found to prevent this was to turn off the chassis battery disconnect/breaker in the rr compartment when parked. So there may be some parasitic load present if the chassis batteries are left on during parking and/or I may have a problem with the chassis batteries not charging.

In any case, I have never had an issue at all as long as the battery tender is attached even when leaving the chassis batteries connected i.e. the disconnect/breaker is left "on." This also enables you to turn the key on for gauge and other access during the down time when parked without fear of killing the chassis batteries. Like you might want to see how much fuel is still in the tank after 4 weeks of cold and aquahot operation.

In storage I turn off all breakers, turn the 12 source switch off AND turn the chassis battery disconnect/breaker off. No dead batteries at all after 5 or 6 weeks this way.

Maybe I need to do some BIRD trouble shooting? as it sounds like this may be one more electrical "issue" I have to add to the list.....which got shorter for awhile but now is getting much longer.

I have heard of one case where the small trickle charge solar cell on the roof was not charging during down times due to a blown diode and the chassis batteries were not charging from the coach due to a miswiring issue at the master source relay. Not a rumor as I know the source and read the shop order corrective action.....

So...there are reasons that some Entegra owners "think" they need a supplemental chassis battery charging source , Mel.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
My house batteries fully charged (13.3 Volts). Chassis battery voltage is 12.5 Volts after 10 days on shore power. Inverter on or off seems to make no difference. Inverter IS working. That doesn't sound right to me. Seems like chassis batteries should be at LEAST 12.7 volts, or more. ???

Anybody who has owned a coach that could be parked for 3 months or more KNOWS that the chassis batteries DEFINITELY NEED periodic charging. ANY battery eventually goes DEAD...The manufacturer ought to be at least as smart as us chickens...

Yes, I think something may be wrong, or not. The relay should close and the inverter should charge the chassis batteries when the chassis batteries fall below 12.6v. Perhaps your chassis battery indication at the EC-30 is off slightly. On the precision Curcuits website there are a few troubleshooting tests you could run to see if everything checks out properly. Have you checked the Battery isolation manager to see if there are any loose wires? Perhaps you are seeing the chassis batteries only when they are not being charged.

Below is a picture of my chassis batteries from this morning when they were being charged. Two hours later they are down to 12.7v.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	125506  

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #12

Quote:

Yes, I think you have something wrong. Our coach set plugged in from Oct. to April and the chassis batteries remained fully charged. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #13

I agree with Noel. My stay charged anytime it is on shore power.

2016 44 B Topaz Cornerstone
2014 MKT towed
Old 04-29-2016, 06:33 AM   #14

Is it agreed by everyone that the inverter must be ON for the BIRD to keep chassis batteries up?
Thanks.
Pete

Tags
batteries, charging, chassis, power, shore power