Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Chassis battery disconnect switch

For storage reasons can anyone tell me where the chassis batterie disconnect switch is on the Cornerstone? The bay where the chassis batteries are there is a yellow breaker switch. On our walk-around we were told that if you blew something and could not start the coach to check this yellow switch. Is this yellow switch the chassis batterie disconnect? Or is it somewhere else on the coach? I don’t think the guy who did our walk-around knew what I was asking. Thank you!
14 Cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Chassis battery switch

Here's a picture of my Aspire switch. It is a combo circuit breaker and cutoff switch. I think the a Cornerstone has two. I went thru a lot of gyrations with battery switches when I first got my coach , because I store mine for 1-2 months at a time. Eventually I tracked down a cracked battery. The Entegra engineers basically said there's no reason to cutoff the chassis batteries despite there is some phantom loads. Matter of fact, if you cut the chassis battery off you lose things like radio presets, SiriusXm codes, step function. I don't switch my chassis batteries off anymore and I store my RV for at least a month maybe two without starting trouble. Definitely check your inverter(s) off and make sure you hit the house battery shutoff in the stair well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	48660  
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Here's a picture of my Aspire switch. It is a combo circuit breaker and cutoff switch. I think the a Cornerstone has two. I went thru a lot of gyrations with battery switches when I first got my coach , because I store mine for 1-2 months at a time. Eventually I tracked down a cracked battery. The Entegra engineers basically said there's no reason to cutoff the chassis batteries despite there is some phantom loads. Matter of fact, if you cut the chassis battery off you lose things like radio presets, SiriusXm codes, step function. I don't switch my chassis batteries off anymore and I store my RV for at least a month maybe two without starting trouble. Definitely check your inverter(s) off and make sure you hit the house battery shutoff in the stair well.
Thank you for the reply. We take delivery on our coach Tuesday and I’ll take a picture to show you what I’m talking about. So, maybe I should have waited to ask this question. Just getting a head of myself I guess.
14 Cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
If you have a solar battery charger, you can leave the disconnect on. If not, it's up to you on whether you want to turn it off or not. Remember, if your batteries drop to 12 v they are half discharged and you are shortening their lives. I turn mine off if it won't be plugged in for more than a week.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #5

Hogdriver, I read your comment on the battery disconnect and have a question. You mentioned turning off the inverter and the main power switch by the entrance step. When I turn the inverter off( in the cabinet) the display reads OFF, the power switch is off; by the steps. I also turned off the switch your picture displayed(the yellow one). Here is my dilemma, the power step still works AND you can still read the inverter display wording. I would think the steps would not function & the display window on the inverter should be blank.. Does this make sense. Sorry for rambling.. dd
ddgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
It does make sense. Some of those displays and the steps are connected to the chassis batteries. I just check the inverter off because I have turned it off at times (I thought) and then notice the refrigerator was still powered.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
It does make sense. Some of those displays and the steps are connected to the chassis batteries. I just check the inverter off because I have turned it off at times (I thought) and then notice the refrigerator was still powered.
Thanks for your response. I learn something everyday on this forum. I didn't realize the steps are on the chasis battery. My previous coach(Monaco), had a chassis&coach battery disconnects. When you turned them off, the entry steps didn't work, in fact EVERYTHING was off. I never worried about battery drain. Like you, I store our coach for 4-7 weeks and never experienced dead batteries. I'm concerned this might not be the case with our new Aspire. Again, thank you for responding.. dd
ddgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, battery